• Hello Everyone,

I just bought my PS3 this morning and have been fiddling with it all day. I have read the manual and tried googling but ive yet to find my answer. I have a large amount of movies on my computer which i linked to my ps3 via wireless network and windows media share. I just want to know what formats are acceptable to the PS3 "Divx" etc same with pictures as well.

Thanks in advance,

• Hope you are enjoying the new system, uposer. B)

DivX isn't supported as of yet on the PS3 but it is coming in a future firmware update. At present here are the file formats supported by the PS3 for video:

* Memory Stick Video Format
    * - MPEG-4 SP (AAC LC)
    * - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC Main Profile (AAC LC)
    * MP4 file format
    * - H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile (AAC LC)
    * MPEG-1 (MPEG Audio Layer 2)
    * MPEG-2 PS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2, AAC LC, AC3(Dolby Digital), LPCM)
    * MPEG-2 TS (MPEG2 Audio Layer 2)
    * AVI
    * - Motion JPEG (Linear PCM)
    * - Motion JPEG (μ-Law)
    * AVCHD (.m2ts / .mts)

For photos the PS3 can use JPEG, TIFF, bitmap, .gif and .png files.
  • Hi.
    I have successfully added the PS3 to the my XP mediacenter PC. (Wireless)
    Recorded TV, incl. movies now show up in the PS3 even with a preview thumbnail.
    However; when I push "Play" it seems to start, but immediately, the pause ikon shows up (low, right on screen) and the screen remains black. Could it be the windows firewall denying it in spite of the successful successful connection/adding to intel VIIV?
    I think the recorded files is mpeg 2 format. (maybe 3)
    Does anyone know a solution to this?
  • Did you remember to enable the DLNA on the PS3 in Network Settings?
  • ..the what?? :)
    I have in the meantime done some checking, and allthogh the files are reported as mpeg-2 in PS3, they are *.DVR-MS files.
    The allknowing google tells med that these files can not be streamed to PS3, and must be converted. Bah!
    I will now google the term "DLNA +PS3" Good luck to me, and 1000 thanx to you, Lyndon.
  • erhh.. Yes, I have. In WMP 11 on the PC for the PS3. Set to "Allow"
    I do believe it is MS and some proprietarypolicy going on here. Argh..

I will watch those *.DVR-MS files from the PC, and leave the PS3 to play any blueray DVD's i will rent in the future..
  • DLNA stands for the Digital Living Network Alliance. It's a standard that allows devices to share media (such as the PC and PS3).

If you go into the Network Settings section of the PS3 you will see an entry called "enable DLNA"- this has to be done to allow the sharing to work. This page from the official PlayStation support knowledge base explains it a bit.

The conversion process is a pain, I've messed with it before when experimenting with videos for the PSP. Takes almost as long as the clip itself to convert the things sometimes. Still, if that's what is needed you may want to look up a converter that can handle that sort of file. The sponsored link at the top looks like a freebie so you may want to check it out.
  • Thank you. Will check as soon as the following conditions are present:
    1 The TV is free.
    2 I use the PS3
    3 I remember that I should check the network settings for DLNA