• Dr. Spock wrote books about raising children, I think you're meaning Mr. Spock........[/b]

Oh.....a wise guy huh? Ok, yeah, you're right.......that doesn't mean I'm wrong......I'm just less right than you! :D
  • [quote]Uuhhh.......Parthenopaeus... (makes me think of "menopause"!!
  • Gee thanks!!
  • Paddy O'furniture?
  • [quote]Paddy O'furniture?
  • Cuchulainn (Setanta)?

Paddy O'furniture? [/b]

LMAO wb! And DC is right, Pepsi burns coming out of the ol' nose. Thanks!
  • [quote]Posted: May 17 2002,20:28
  • Ok, let's switch gears here a bit. This is still Mythology, only the question below deals with Polynesian Mythology:

He was the son of Hema and Urutonga,
    and he had a younger brother named Karihi.

Who is he?

Good Luck!
  • The answer would be: Tawhaki (or Tawhiki depending on where you find it)and is the Polynesian god of thunder and lightning, and also of good health.
  • Why thank you Lu.
  • OK, the parents were Typhon and Echidna.
  • Oddly enough, Cerberus is one of my FAVORITE mythological creatures.......I even have a (small) statue of him on my desk!

Cerberus: A vicious beast that guarded the entrance to Hades and kept the living from entering the world of the dead. Cerberus was a strange mixture of creatures: he had three heads of wild dogs, a dragon or serpent for a tail, and heads of snakes all over his back.

Cerberus' parents were the monster Echinda (half-woman, half-serpent) and Typhon (a fire-breathing giant covered with dragons and serpents). Even the gods of Olympus were afraid of Typhon.
  • You are both correct, and Speedie, was first, but Lu gave a 'fuller' answer, so i will let the two of you contest who has the asking right to this question between yourselfs.
  • Cerberus' parents were the monster Echinda (half-woman, half-serpent) and Typhon (a fire-breathing giant covered with dragons and serpents). Even the gods of Olympus were afraid of Typhon. [/b]

:P PPPLLLLLLFFFFFTTTTTTT!!!!!!!
  • Via PM, Lu has generously allowed me to sweep and mop this floor, so, with broom, mop and bucket in hand, here I go!!

Who was it that arose from the Lake Titicaca (man, I love that name!), where did he/she go, and what did he/she do?
  • I don't recall where they went and/or what they did, but I think it was Manco Capac and Mama Ocllo (the children of the sun) who rose out of the lake with the funny name.
  • Nope, not who I'm looking for, guess again!
  • [quote]I don't recall where they went and/or what they did, but I think it was Manco Capac and Mama Ocllo (the children of the sun) who rose out of the lake with the funny name.
  • OK, what I'm looking for is A person, and He/She did something rather BIG!!
  • OK, as no one has given any ideas or attempts, I'll just tell ya, and open the door to whomever wants the floor next. My brain cell is overworked today and cannot handle any more thinking!

OK, the body of water is Lake Titicaca ( love that name!!!). the island is "the Island Of The Sun", and the 'person' is Viracocha, the god of creation, who rose from Lake Titicaca and from there created all of creation. (not anything major, just created all of creation!) LOL...

OK, whoever wants it, the floor is freshly cleaned, polished, (don't slip and fall)... and all yours!!!
  • hey mom i guess i will take the floor
    This is my first thme haveing the floor so i'm gouing to start off w/ an easy one
    what was jeff gordons whifes name???
  • Originally posted by mikeyw8187@Jun 13 2002, 12:57 AM
    hey mom i guess i will take the floor
    This is my first thme haveing the floor so i'm gouing to start off w/ an easy one
    what was jeff gordons whifes name???

This is probably a dumb question but what has Jeff Gordon got to do with mythology.
  • well i dident know what the title was i forgot and well it's my first time asking a question!
  • Mrs. Gordon? :lol: :D :lol:
  • Oh for gooniness sake!!! sheeeesh!!!!! WB, careful now, you're toeing the line of spamming and I may need to pull out the paddle!! ;) (bend over!) LOL

It's Brooke of course!!!!!
  • hey mom (speede) you are right hehehehe you win it's your turn B) :)
  • Gosh, it sure took me long enough to get back here, huh?!?!? Well, let's see here...

In Greek Mythology, who was the half-human/half-bovine enemy of Theseus?
  • The minotaur
  • Correctamundo you are ol' buddy ol' Pal!! Lovely job, now do us justice!! :D
  • Which roman goddess is the source of our word "money"
  • "Juno Moneta"
  • Good Shot.

Your turn
  • Alrighty then, here is the next one:

After her abduction by Hades she became his wife and Queen of the underworld. Who is she?

Good luck!
  • Persephone or Porsepine, depending on which spelling you fancy. As for myself, I prefer the former, as it reminds me of Penelope. I think Penelope rocked, and she has the coolest name for a female ever. :D
  • Originally posted by wreckingball@Jul 9 2002, 05:16 AM
    Persephone or Porsepine

Correctamundo!

The floor is yours wb!
  • Why was Prometheus bound?
  • Originally posted by wreckingball@Jul 11 2002, 11:45 PM
    Why was Prometheus bound?

Uh....'cause he liked leather & whips? :ph34r:

No?

Maybe because he stole the fire from Zeus and gave it to humans?
  • ....which is not to say that in addition to that, he liked leather and whips, and had been veeeeery naughty. :)

You're correct, O Dark One. Ask away........
  • Ok, here we go with another:

What happened when Pegasus, the winged horse, stomped its hooves on Mount Helicon?

Good Luck!
  • A spring came gushing forth. This became the well that served the Nine Muses.
  • Originally posted by LolaNicolina@Jul 15 2002, 01:57 PM
    [b]A spring came gushing forth. This became the well that served the Nine Muses.[/b]

Lady, you are on a roll! :)

Once again, I give the floor to you:
  • Heh heh, I thank you O Prince of Darkness!

Ok here we go..........

Norse mythology.........what is the name of the squirrel that scampers up and down Yggdrasil, relating to the Aesir & Vanir in Asgard, the goings on in Midgard?

Not difficult IMHO!! :)
  • Well, seeing as how "Rocky" was the name of the gay squirrel that hung out with Bullwinkle, would the Norse squirrel's name be Ratatosk by chance?
  • :rolleyes: Yer jus' too darned good O' Dark One!!
    Next time you won't be so fortunate...moooooahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!
    :P

LOL!

Off you go then my friend, let's be havin' another one!! :D
  • Native American Mythology

According to this myth, the creator felt sorry for the children when he realized that their destiny was to grow old and become wrinkled, fat, blind, weak etc.

Hence, he gathered beautiful colors from various sources such as the sunlight, leaves, flowers, and the sky. These colors were put into a magical bag and presented to the children. When the bag was opened by the children (this) flew out, enchanting the children who had never seen anything so beautiful.

What flew out of the bag?

Good Luck!
  • A rainbow. Like monkeys out of my butt, a big f**kin' rainbow. :D
  • You have monkeys in your butt Wreckin'? Like Mr Potato Head (Toy Story 2)??
    Man, I am getting seriously worried about you!!! LMAO!! :P
  • Originally posted by wreckingball@Jul 23 2002, 01:59 AM
    A rainbow. Like monkeys out of my butt, a big f**kin' rainbow. :D

Nope...guess again.

Although that may be fitting for the Bizzare Story thread wb! LOL
  • a beautiful bird!!!

Thats my guess.
  • a beautiful bird[/b]

Good guess.....WRONG.....but good guess.
  • Geeze.....I didn't think this one would go unanswered for so long. Here is the answer to the quesiton that had many of you stumped:

According to this myth, the creator felt sorry for the children when he realized that their destiny was to grow old and become wrinkled, fat, blind, weak etc.

Hence, he gathered beautiful colors from various sources such as the sunlight, leaves, flowers, and the sky. These colors were put into a magical bag and presented to the children. When the bag was opened by the children (this) flew out, enchanting the children who had never seen anything so beautiful.

What flew out of the bag?

I was a butterfly!

Ok then, let's try another shall we?

Egyptian Mythology

He was the creator of all things that are
    and all things that shall be. He created the
    gods and he fashioned mankind on a potters wheel.

What was his name?

Good Luck!
  • The creator of all things was either Ra, Amun, Ptah, Khnum or Aten, depending on which version of the myth was currently in use. The one you refer to Lu, is Khnum, but i'll give a bit of info on each.

Ra:From very early times Ra was a sun god. He took on many of the attributes and even the names of other gods as Egyptian myths evolved. A good example of this is the god Ra and Amun merging to become Amun-Ra. This mergingis how he gets mixed into the creation myths.

Amun:Early, a god of air and wind. Later, a fertility god. The Creator of all things. During the New Kingdom he became "The king of the gods". He was said to be able to assume any form he wished, with each of the other gods being one of these forms. From the eighteenth dynasty on he was a national deity. Through political means managed to assimilate many lesser gods.

Ptah:Ptah represents the sun at the time when it begins to rise above the horizon and or right after it has risen. As early as the Second Dynasty, he is regarded as a creator god. The patron of architects, artists and sculptors. It was Ptah who built the boats for the souls of the dead to use in the afterlife. In the Book of the Dead we learn that he was a master architect, and responsible for building the framework of the universe. It was said that Ptah created the great metal plate that was the floor of heaven and the roof of the sky. He also constructed the supports that held it up. Some creation legends say that by speaking the names of all things, Ptah caused them to be.

Khnum:A very ancient deity. As a water god he was closely associated with the annual flooding of the Nile. His name means to create. He was the creator of all things that are and all things that shall be. He created the gods and he fashioned mankind on a potters wheel.

Aten:The Aten gained its prominence during the reign of Akhenaten. The heretic king made an effort it seems, to unite all the peoples of Egypt under one god. He abolished the traditional cults of Egypt and replaced them with the Aten. Unfortunately for Akhenaten, the Egyptians did not wish to be united in this fashion. The king considered the Aten to be the creative force in the universe and the only god worthy of his worship.

Hope that is enough for you. ;)
  • [quote]Hope that is enough for you.
  • Here we go then. In the ledgends of Athur and the knights of the round table, who was the only person to ever defeat Lancelot in battle???
    (I know it isn't the greatest question ever, but i copuldn't think of anything else.)
  • It's been awhile, but wasn't it Arthur, King of the Britains? (you could tell he's King, 'cause he's the only what din't 'ave sh*t on 'im :D )
  • Oooohhhh one of my pet subjects!!!

Did you know (to anyone who is remotely interested!!) that Lancelot du Lac is a purely medieval invention? He is equated with Bedevere (Bedewaer) who was Arthur's right hand man from the off?

Good sources to get your teeth into are:

The Mabinogion - for the best stuff....Ceridwen's Cauldron etc. This is the real gritty, grab your balls stuff!
    None of this namby pamby chilvalry b0llox and shining armour malarky!

Le Morte D'Artur - by Thomas Mallory (1485). Again an excellent book - huge but excellent. Lots of medieval chivalric imagery and metaphor.
    Mallory incidentally was imprisoned in Colchester castle (just around the corner to me!) for evasion of fines I think it was. He apparently escaped by whacking the guard with a langue de boeuf which is not, as I first thought, the Sunday roast!! It is in fact a weapon - a hafted one at that (apparently!)!

Geoffrey of Monmouth's ramblings writings. Early medieval and again a very good read. Some of it is a little 'out there' (IMO) but you do get a good insight into the mind-set of the time and the ideals and values they held dear in the 12th century or thereabouts!

Anyway, apologies for the rude and uncalled for interruption in the proceedings!

I'll just slink off back into the night from whence I came >sob<</font>
  • Let this one slip a bit didn't I. Thanks for the reminder Lola. Well done Wb, the clean floor (least it was untill Lola got on it, shesh bl00dy women). Take the floor away my friend (just bring it back once ou have finished with it.) ;)
  • Don't trip, Theve. You let nothing slip.

Now then.

What notorious American (and former American Vice-President) planned to establish himself as the "Emperor of Texas?"
  • Could it be Hadrian.
  • Originally posted by wreckingball@Jul 30 2002, 11:29 PM

What notorious American (and former American Vice-President) planned to establish himself as the "Emperor of Texas?"

Sam Houston - 1832

There is one I knew right off the bat. If you check my bio, it does list pre-1890's Western History as one of my interests! :P
  • No and No. Sam Houston was never the Vice-President, was he? :blink:

Good God! I thought this was the history trivia thread. That question about Texas is out of place. Bad form on my part. The answer to the posed question is Aaron Burr.

Now for a mythology question.

Why did Apollo beseige the Greeks with fire-bolts in the Trojan War?
  • Because Agamemnon took Chryseis a daughter of one of apollos priests.
  • Originally posted by wreckingball@Jul 31 2002, 11:26 PM
    No and No. Sam Houston was never the Vice-President, was he? :blink:

Oh sh!t.....you're right. Sam Huston was elected the first president of the "Republic of Texas".......duh... :blink:
  • And?........... (you're half-way there, GK)
  • And refused to return her?
  • That answer seems good enough to me. Now you may ask........
  • Thank you wreck

What was ambrosia made of.
  • Originally posted by gabriel knight@Aug 2 2002, 10:37 PM

What was ambrosia made of.

It is believed that this delicacy of the gods was made from honey, water, fruit, cheese, olive oil and barley.
  • HOORAY!

Ok, here we go again:

This god of the dead and ruler of the underworld was actually not evil.
    Who was he?

Good Luck!
  • Hades the flatulent. He wasn't really evil, but he had to go somewhere. He was stinkin' up Mt. Olympus. How would that be? Zeus and Hera throw a big party and invite everyone and the place smells like ass.....that's real nice. So he gets to be king of the underworld, and the gas gets burned-off by the fire and the lava, everyone's happy, right?
  • Way to go WB, once again I hand the floor over to you:
  • Hades the flatulent. He wasn't really evil, but he had to go somewhere. He was stinkin' up Mt. Olympus. How would that be? Zeus and Hera throw a big party and invite everyone and the place smells like ass.....that's real nice. So he gets to be king of the underworld, and the gas gets burned-off by the fire and the lava, everyone's happy, right?
    [/b]

You have got to be kidding!?!?!? That was for real!?!?!?!? I thought he was just being a wise-guy!!!!!!!! "Hades the Flatulent"!?!?!? HAHAHHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!!!!!!! That sounds like something from a bad dream on the Simpsons!!!!! :P
  • The flatulence was my own invention for humor's sake (you know I'll go for the laugh when I can), but Hades was indeed rumored to be the lord of the underworld, at least until you-know-who set up shop and opened an av-management agency. :P

American Mythology:

Who worked himself to death trying to defeat a machine in a contest?
  • Originally posted by WreckinBall@Aug 9 2002, 11:33 AM

Who worked himself to death trying to defeat a machine in a contest?

Uh..... Al Gore? :rolleyes:
  • Droll, very droll. But seriously, I said a machine, not a puppet. Al Gore.......that's pretty funny. :D
  • Oh man,... wasn't it that guy who had to race the train!?!? Can't remember for the life of me who the heck that was!!!!!! :blink: Johnny Appleseed!?!? :blink: :wacko:
  • Close, SB. You're almost half-right....... B)

The answer is John Henry (he was a steel-drivin' man) B)

New Question:

Which character is notorious for killing his father and marrying his mother?
  • Oh come Wb, give us a clue, least tell us from what country/area the myth is from. You gave us American Mythology last time and no one got, so what chance we got now with noo clue??
  • Oh, no. This is definitely not American Mythology. I'll tell you this, it's an archetypal myth...... It might have something to do with the accidents. Well not so much the accidents as the cars. The cars that were driven off the cliff by that cat on Saturday Night Live. Yeah, Toonces was it's name. Toonces, the cat that could drive a car. Eddie's cat, Toonces. It wasn't so much about the accidents as about the cars that Eddie's puss wrecks.......

Get it?......"Eddie's puss wrecks".....Married his mother and killed his father.........Freud named a complex after him......I think he was King of Thebes.......

OK.......it's a Greek myth......written by Sophocles.......often referred to as the archetypal myth of a tragic hero......

Geeze.....come on folks!.....It's right there for ya....pick it up and put it together...... look up Sophocles.......think "Eddie's puss wrecks" when you read the list of his works.....you can do it....
  • Hey Wreckingball the myth you're looking for concerns a guy named Oedipus as in the Oedipus complex. Oh and did you know that in addition to being a myth the "Myth" Oedipus was actually written by Sophocles as a play and later became his best work (OK I confess I had to use Google to find this out but whatever's at hand, right.)
  • [quote]Originally posted by Forger@Aug 29 2002, 10:57 AM
    [b]Hey Wreckingball the myth you're looking for concerns a guy named Oedipus as in the Oedipus complex.
  • Why thank you Wreckingball. Heres my question and its a biggie.

First : Name all of the Gods in Norse (Viking to the uninitiated) mythology.

Second : Of those gods who did Loki steal from and what was it.

Third : Loki was persuaded to give gifts to compensate for his thievery what were those gifts, who made them and who were each of the gifts for.

Fourth : What did all of the Norse gods have to use to stay eternally young.

Oh and as a bonus can anyone tell me exactly what was to happen in the Ragnarock (meaning death of the old gods, a biiiig hint for you there but I want specifics).

By the way you are correct Wreckingball the play was named Oedipus wrecks Im sorry but anyway why do you think that the T-Rex was named such. I believe it translates to something akin to "king of the thunder lizards" oh and the reason I said thunder lizards rather than dinosaurs is because "Dinosaur" means Thunder lizard. (I think anyway or maybe its just Diplodocus or Brontosaurus. I'm not sure as my Forte is more norse mythology than archaeology.)
  • Wow, there's a $hitload of 'em!! Let's see here.......

Aegir (god of the sea)

Balder (god of innocence and light)

Bragi (god of poetry and music)

Forseti (god of justtice)

Frey (leader of the fertility gods)

Heimdall (guards Bifrost, the rainbow bridge)

Hermod (one of Odins sons)

Hodur (god of darkness)

Loki (trickster god, son of ( a bitch ) two giants. God of
    mischeif and misbehaviour.

Niord (god of summer)

Odin (Wuotan, Woden) The holiest of the Norse gods.

Thor (son of Odin, rules the sky and thunder)

Tyr (god of war)

Uller (god of winter)

Vali (son of Odin, sole purpose was to take revenge on Loki for Balder's
    murder.

Vidar (son of Odin, only one to survive Ragnarok) (man, Odin has lots of
    kids, doesn't he!?!?)

two: Loki 'took' Sif's hair (L
  • Speedie, if im corerct you forgot epona the god of horses and Odins wife Frigg(where did you think all those kids came from).

• Gabe, yeah, I did forget Frigg...... but I didn't realize that we were to include goddESSes also....... if that were the case, there are OOODLES of ladies i could have/should have included also.

As for Epona, wow, didn't even know about that one! :o DUH! Thanks!! :P

EDIT: After some searching around, it turns out that Epona is yet another one of the elusive 'goddESSes that gabriel knight mentioned, and as I've said, I didn't realize that Forger wanted the femme fatales also!

Mr. Forger, could you clear this one up please!?
  • Wow Speedie you're nowhere near 100% correct YET as you missed out a few things In 1 you missed out all of the female gods and in 3 you neglected to give me the names of the dwarves. Oh and it wasnt them who Loki was to give up his head for so you were wrong on that count as well and it wasnt a fly he turned himself into it was something else, can you tell me what it was? Apart from that you got pretty much everything right but wasnt Balder killed. If I remember the story correctly it was stated in the prophecy of the Ragnarock the death of Balder would be the first event leading up to the Ragnarock (sort of like a signpost to the Ragnarock) so Odin bid all of the gods (except Loki and Balder of course) to go out and make every plant, animal etc swear a vow never to hurt Balder, also Balder was given the gift of being invincible to weapons (including Mjolnir). However Loki found a plant so young that it had not been made swear the vow (the plant was holly by the way) so Loki took a sprig of holly and tied it to a spear, then disguising himself as an old lady he gave the spear to a man and asked them to throw the spear at Balder who was showing off his gift to people by getting them to throw weapons at him. The spear hit true and killed Balder since it was bound by a sprig of holly.

So Speedie you havent won the floor yet but you're about halfway there. Oh and if you want to read up on all of their Myths and Legends look for a book entitled "Viking Myths and Legends" which has some pretty nice stories like the one where they had to bind up one of Loki's wolven sons. Oh and since I'm feeling a bit nasty today and you failed rather miserably I'm going to throw another question out in the open. Who can name the son of Loki who had to be bound, who was his carer (trainer, handler whatever), how many halters were tried, (obviously the last one worked) and what were the ingredients for this halter and who made this last halter. I practically know this story inside out so I'll easily be able to tell you all how miserably you fail.
  • [quote]Originally posted by Forger@Sep 2 2002, 11:48 AM
    [b]Oh and since I'm feeling a bit nasty today and you failed rather miserably I'm going to throw another question out in the open.
  • Hey WB sorry about Mondays stuff I wasnt in a good mood so I was feeling a bit vindictive. To Speedie Im sorry for saying what I did and I apologise. the question I "Tossed off" is null and void, no one needs to answer it if they dont want to. If they do then they can. The reason for my vindictiveness was that I had went to a Muay Thai fight night (must remember never to go to another cause Man are they boring) on Sunday and I didnt get home till 2 am and I had to get up at 7 to go and do beating (If you want to know PM me). Plus I hadnt been able to sleep well for a few nights before cause I was sick so I had been in a miserable mood all weekend and I was taking it out on almost anyone who crossed my path. Thankfully a few nights of good sleep cured this so I am my old self once more and again I apologise to all concerned. Oh and Speedie you didnt actually fail that badly and since you got most of it right I think I'll give you the floor so ask away.
  • Ya know, WB had a pretty good point there, about how the content of questions and expected content of answers will intimidate some members and scare them away from this thread. Thankfull, I am not one of that sort! ;)

I accept your apology forger, we all have our bad days now and again...... some of us ( females ) more than others!!

So, let us see what I can pull out of my sleeve this morning:

What is the sacred Egyptian tree?
  • The Egyptian sacred tree is the Erica, and the god it is associated with is Osiris, the vegetation death-and-rising god. Osiris is the name the Greeks gave the Egyptian god "Asar" ("the strength of the eye", i.e. the strength of the sun-god Ra).

Or somethin like that :D
  • You know you got that right! Have at it! :D
  • Thank you my dear, :lol:
    Ok then lets see how quick this goes start the stop watch now

What in greek myth is buried under Mount Etna in Sicily?
  • Really, that depends on the myth. Right now I'd have to say Hephaestus's nasty skivvies.....
  • There is a joke there somewhere im sure of it. Well WB the creature im looking for is a fire breathing dragon with a hundred heads that never rest. If you some how got it with out me seeing, then sorry but as it is the question still stands unanswered.
  • do you mean Typhon? buried there by Zeus.
  • I do indeed mean Typhon ( Typhoeus).
    Well done Jugg (Dont see you in these threads to often, its a welcome change)
    The floor is yours.
  • okay, i'll try to make this one harder than i usually do.

Who is the god of the moon in Sumerian mythology?
  • That would be Sin.Wonder if that has anything to do with FF X

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion