• I wondered that too. Especially the way Sin looks at the beginning of FF10, a big sphere in the sky.

the floor is yours gabriel knight :D
  • Who ate Zeus and how did he get out and what did he do to the one who ate him.
  • Zues was the one who didn't get eaten wasn't he?
    His father Cronos ate all of his own children/gods, but Cronos's wife swaped Zues with a rock. Cronos then ate the rock and threw up all the other 'baby' gods he had eaten. The babies then took control, killing all the old gods and taking over Mt. Olmpus <_< Least i think thats what happened, its been awhilesince i heard the story at school.
  • Well , since our stories dont match the turn will go to the first one to ask.
  • As much as I would like to chime in with the answer you're looking for GK, Theve's answer is consistent (mostly)with the myth as I know it. To be correct, Kronos kept the rock inside him for quite some time while Zeus grew to power on an island somewhere. Later, Zeus's mother and co-conspiritor, Rhea, brought him to Kronos as a wine-steward. They conspired to poison Kronos's wine, and that caused him to regurgitate his children and the rock. As Kronos was weakened, and Zeus had learned to use the thunderbolt as a weapon, Zeus overpowered him and (with the aid of his demiurgic brethren) took control of the universe.
  • (with the aid of his demiurgic brethren) [/b]

Demiurgic!?!? DEMIURGIC!?!?!?!? Where in God's name do you come up with these words!?!? I swear you must eat dictionaries for breakfast!!!!! :D :P :blink:
  • Well WB as you gave a better answer then me, you can have the floor as im out of questions at the min. To much school work :lol:
  • Thank you kindly Theve, but I believe it's up to GK to grant or deny the turn, and so far, he's been silent. I think he's holding out for the answer he wants, and he's absolutely right in doing it. To be perfectly candid, I don't understand his last post, what does he mean?
  • Why am i so hard to understand.Guess i gotta go to nightschool and take a course in communication.

Since i came up with a new question im gonna edit this post.

Name three gods of Finnish Mythology.
  • I fear this answer falls short, since the three I found are more "cultural heroes" than gods. Anyway, how about Vainamoinen, Ilmarinen, and Lemminkainen?
  • Well those are all characters of Kalevala but they arent actual gods but anyhow ill give the turn to you.

Some of the gods would be Ahti,Ukko,Mielikki,Tapio and Akka.
  • Thank you, thank you very muuuuch.... B)

What mythological character had to shoot his new wife to keep her from starving to death?

• I believe it was the famous (or infamous) Cleteus Dumasstacus from ancient Tennessee..... the sitcheeashun went something like this:

Husband, to starving wife: D'jeet yet?

Wife: Naw, d'ju?

Husband: Y'ant some?

Wife: Aa'ight

Husband: K'BLAM!!!!!!!!

I believe that's the answer you're looking for, ain't it!?
    :D
  • I love it when city folk try to speak redneck. :D

That exchange was way too long, it should have been more like:

Okie: Djeetyet?
    Cracker: Naw, Y'antoo?
    Okie: Reckonso

You got the Ka-Blam!! just right, though. :P

And no, that's not the correct answer. The correct answer lies in the pages of American Mythology where the heroes don't decapitate Gorgons, they ride twisters........
  • Could you change the question since no one has gotten it yet.
  • OK, my bad. I beg a thousand pardons for being gone so long.......

What horrendous final act of a "Palace Coup" causes (in many myths) the birth of Aphrodite?

BTW, the answer to the last question is Pecos Bill. Slewfoot Sue, his new bride, was determined to ride his horse, Widowmaker. After their nuptials, she mounted the horse, and it promptly bucked her off so hard that she hit the moon, and she came back down so hard and the new steel springs in her bustle
    were so strong that she just kept bouncing up and down off the earth. Eventually Pecos Bill shot her to save her from starving to death. :D

- I love that story :D
  • That's a very fascinating story there WB!!! Heh heh, darned bustles!! Now we know why they went out of style; they're DANGEROUS!!!!!! :huh:

So, wasn't Aprhodite born of the sea foam, after what'shisface...... ouranos (sp??) got his 'godies' thrown into the sea!? Kronos (or Cronos) castrated Ouranos at his Mothers request, and threw the goodies into the sea. It foamed up, and there she was, fully formed and ready to party! :D
  • Your version is close enough, speedie. Now you may ask.......

BTW, SB; The WOUF is gettin' kinda rusty, I'm thinking of breaking it out of retirement, but we can't shut down our own threads anymore. If I start one up and it gets all kaddywhompus like the last one, will you shut it down? :blink:
  • I will assist you in any way you need, Dear OLD Buddy!!! All's ya gott'sta do is ask when ready.

Btw, what is WOUF?? Whacked Out Upa Fence!?!? :P Heh heh heh..... I'm totally lost here!

Alrighty then, according to Greek Mythology, who was the fastest runner alive?

(that oughta keep someone occupied for about 25 seconds) :D
  • Righto you are Gabe!!! Take it away!!!!!! :D
  • What was Tors hammers name.
  • Actually it is written with a
  • Actually, there is no "e" in your, but I'll let it pass anyway. :D

What killed Jason, the captor of the Golden Fleece?
  • Jason was finally killed by an acute case of death :D

he he

Erm, if i remember correctly wasn't this something to do with his ship the Argo? Years after he had tea-leafed the old fleece he was chilling out in the shade of his boat and it collapsed (cus it was well old) and crushed him, or something like that?

:unsure:
  • Aye, skipper. After he had done dirt to the woman who saved his ass and bore him sons, he died an ignominious death as a piece of the very ship that he captained to fame fell off and ended his life, the cur. Steve F., you may now ask what you will......
  • Oakey dokey dubya B

Lets walk like an Egyptian for a change! All that other stuff is just Greek to me ;)

Which Egyptian god was responsible for guiding the souls of the dead through the underworld and how was he usually represented???????

A nice easy one
  • Anubis was the name, soul-guiding was his game!!

He had the head of a jackal (what the heck is a jackal anyway!?!? Kind of hyena-like??) He also acted as the judge of the deeds of the dead while in the presence of Osiris. (he was a Daddy's boy!) :P

Oh, btw, he was also known as "Anepo"
  • That do nicely Suze :)

I bet nobody called him Daddy's Boy to his face!

Be gentle with us :)
  • Thank you kind sir, I'll be as gentle as this feeble little brain can handle! ;)
    In Asian Mythology, what European mythological creature would you liken the Oni to? (as in, what would be the Onis closest equivalent in European mythology?)

Hope I worded that clearly enough...... I'll give it a bit of time. If there are no tries, then I'll know I worded it like a Pollack and will try another. <_< </font>
  • Ok i'll take a stab at this one Suze. Oni are the traditional horned
  • Maybe an imp or a gremlin?
  • Theve, you are spot on!!!!! Perfecto!!

Your turn, my Dear! :D
  • As i'll be away for a few days, i'll gracefully leave the floor open, rather then post and make everyone wait till i return.
  • As I've been invited to via MSN from our Dearly Beloved Theve, I'll graciously take the floor! :D

In Celtic Mythology, why are boars symbols of courage and strong warriors??
  • I guess it's because the boar itself is a mighty creature that not just anyone could kill? :huh:
  • Extremely close enough to say you got it!!

Now, go ahead and wow us!!! :P
  • Who is the father of the Fenris Wolf, the devour of the sun during Ragnarok ?
  • Bwaaahaaa ha Very good
    You may continue
  • That was easy for another scandinavian.

According to scandinavian(Norweigan) mythology what was the world created from.
  • Gah, you've got me trying to dredge up my little knowledge of Norse Mythology...

Wasn't something like...the body of a fallen giant or a fallen god or something of that sort?
  • The giants name was Ymer, did you know that his brain became the clouds...
    Them vikings were in to brainsurgery :P
  • And his blood into seas,his hair into forests,his bones into mountains,his skin for the ground and his skull for the sky.

You are correct.
  • what did Hades make Persefone eat so that she would return to him ?
  • A pomegranate....... or, however you spell it.
  • As I wrote this question I realised that I didn't know what it was called in english. The Swedish word is "Granate apple", and pome meening apple if french(?) I give you the floor

( I looked it up in my trusty dictionary, the spelling is correct Sus )
  • yes, that is one of the few things I remember from French class, pomme is apple... I remember "pomme de terre" is "apple of the earth" or, potato! hehehee...... pretty neat! (thanks for the spelling info!

:D )

So, let's see......

What is the first recorded reference to King Arthur, and when?
  • This one has gone unanswerd to long for me, so I paid my library a visit today.
    Turns out that there was this monk named Nennius who sometime around the 8th or 9th century wrote down everytiming that had happened so far. The writings talk of a uniting warrior in the war against the Saxons and this is belived to be Arthur.
    The title of the book is Historia Brittanum

(BTW Sus, that explains why french fries is called Pommes frittes over here...
    They are made out of apples :lol: )
  • Well, great googley moogley, I sure have let this one slide for long enough, haven't I!? :o

Manneman, that is what I was talking about,..... the floor is yours!
  • Because Athen lost a war against king Minos of Crete thay had to make a sacrifice every 9 years.
    What?
  • I'm conflicted by your question. I know why the Athenians gave up seven youths and seven virgins every nine years, but it was a tribute, not a sacrifice.

Years before, Minos (The King of Crete)had sent his son to live in the court of the King of Athens (Aegeus) and the King had violated the ancient code of hospitality by sending his young guest on a dangerous task. Minos's heir was killed trying to fulfill the task, to slay a dangerous bull. When Minos found this out, he invaded Athens and destroyed it, claiming that he would do it again and again unless the Athenians sent him a tribute of seven virgins and seven youths every nine years. In turn, he fed the virgins and youths to the Minotaur, a half-human/half-bull monster which lived in the labyrinth under his palace at Knossos. You see, the Minotaur was born to his Queen, but he didn't sire the beast, so it lived in the basement. This situation existed until the hero Theseus came along and slew the Minotaur, but Athens and Crete weren't really at war.
  • Aah yes, so Theseus may have done but not without help from Minos' daughter, Ariadne who gave Theseus a ball of string so he could find his way back out of the subterranean labyrinth!

She was a bit of a ditsy moo by all accounts, coz as soon as she saw him, it is written that she fell instantly in love with him! More like she wanted to see what was under that loin cloth! The hussy!

Anyway, he was a bit of a git, coz after she had gone to all the trouble of defying her father and giving dear ol' Theseus an unfair advantage, he took her with him as he made his escape but the rat left her as she slept on on island. Just burgered off before she awoke!

But.....it didn't avail him any coz the daft sod forgot to hoist the white sails on his ship so when his dad saw his ship arrive with black sails a-flying, so stricken with grief was he at the thought that his dearly beloved son was slain in battle, that he chucked himself into the sea. DOH!
    Hence the Aegiean Sea (I've been scuba divng in it and it's beee-autiful!).

Greek tragedy or what?!!!
    :blink:
  • Tragic, no doubt. How about answerable!?!? :angry:

BTW, I love that "a bit of a ditsy moo" :D :lol:
  • The Wreck is correct.
    Sorry about the question being weird, sacrifice and tribute is the same word in swedish ;)
  • No apologies necessary.

As was apparent (no pun intended) with Chronos, Zeus had the ability to shut even Gods out of the world. Why then, didn't he put Prometheus in Tartarus as well?
  • Because he condemned Prometheus to an immortality of torture by shackling him to a rock in the Caucasus mountains where his (Zeus') eagle flew down and tore out his liver each day. Each night the liver grew back and the whole process repeated itself over.

Zeus also created Pandora and gave her and her famous box (abandon hope all ye who enter!) to Prom's brother (tho' some versions say he gave them to Prom himself who then passed them on). Epimetheus refused at first, knowing that Zeus' gifts weren't reknowned for their reliability but as soon as he looked at Pandora, he was smitten.
    He was told never to look into the box but of course, we all know what happened and once it had been opened, all the misery and pain in the world was released...how sucky is that?!
    But hope remained.

This was Zeus' punishment for prometheus' defiance - not only was he condemned to torture (although about 15 years later, I believe, Heracles rescued him) but all those who worshipped him (i.e. humans) were condemned too.
    But the worst punishment of all for Prom was seeing his own kind (the immortals) set against each other.

Does this answer your question Wreckin'? :D
  • No. Prometheus was not bound to the rock for any transgression that had to do with Pandora and her box. It's beside the point anyway, what I am trying to get at is, why was Prometheus kept in the world, even after he had defied Zeus? BTW, he was on that rock a lot longer than 15 years....

ps. My source is Aeschylus's "Prometheus Bound"
  • Becaus he didnt fight alongside his titan brothers.
  • Was it so that Prometheus would be alive to eventually tell him (Zues) which one of his children would eventually dethrone him? Or, who the mother of that child would be?
  • Attagirl, Speedie. If he (Zeus) shut him out of the world, then he knew he could never leverage that information out of Prometheus and avoid the fate(s) of his predecessors. Your turn...
  • well of course I was gonna give that answer but I didn't think that was what you were referring to!!! Hehehe! :) :)
    You mean the prophecy that told that the offspring of Zeus and the Nymph Clymene would one day rise up and destroy the Gods (and Zeus himself)?

I wasn't actually referring to the Pandora sitch as the reason Zeus was pissed off at Prom - rather that she (Pan) was part of Z's revenge upon Prom - she was created to undo all the stuff that the rebellious prom had given to the mortals.
    It was the giving of knowledge and latterly, fire, to the mortals that made Z mad and why he sent P to the rock.

And you were right, I meant to put generations, not years! Hehehe! But even then I was wrong because it wasn't 15, it was 13!

Good on yer Suze for getting it right! Give us a good 'un!
  • Oooooooh God, the pressure!!! :blink: heheheheee

Ok, let's try this one:

Who was it that 'killed' Sphinx and how?

That ought to tide someone over for about three minutes!
    :P
  • Was that the "Female Sphinx".....the very one that demanded an answer to a riddle of the people in Thebes? If so, then it was Oedipus who's correct answer (Man...crawls, yarda....walks, yarda etc...) that caused the Sphinx to commit suicide. :blink:
  • Geeze Bid, where were you some pages back when I was giving out hints like "Eddie's Puss Wrecks" to the notorious myth about the king who killed his father and married his mother? :D
  • Nice play on the name there WB. :lol:
  • I don't think she was part of the family yet at that time WB, so back off!! :P heheheheeee

Ms. Bid, you are absolutely right-eeee-o!! Please take the floor, I've shined it up special for you..... but not too slippery! :D
  • You're right on the money there SB.......still have my APi training wheels attached. :unsure:

And chances are since this thread has been going for awhile, my question may have already been asked?? But as I'm partial to clean floor's....how can I resist! :D

Ok, Who married his sister and castrated his father??
    Would like the name's of all parties involved also......please.
  • That would be old Kronos. Following a tip from his mother Gaea, he arms himself with a sycle (or scythe), and sneaks up on his parents while they are coitally engaged. He uses the curved blade to castrate his father (Uranus), and the blood from the act that splashes in the ocean causes the birth of Aphrodite. Uranus, being emasculated, is shut in Tartarus forever by his own son. Shortly after he seizes power (and having no more use for his helpful mother), Kronos copulates with his sister, Rhea, and sires the olympic gods. One of their offspring, Zeus, returns the favor with interest and seizes power in his own name, but that's another story...
  • WB, could you be more specific please? :P :lol:
  • Well, what gal could ask for more???? Geeze WB....when you deliver, you reeeeeeallly go all out!! :blink: Big A+ for you, and fire away when ready..... :D
  • In Greek Mythology, who arrived in Athens (via Corinth) in a chariot drawn by dragons?
  • Was it Medeas, who had just killed Jason's father and tricked Pelias' daughters into killing him?
  • No.....but that answer is tantalizingly close. Check your source(s).
  • Alrighty, how about Medeas AND Jason?? :blink:
  • Was it perhaps Medea?

From the web I picked this up :

Medea fled Corinth in a chariot, drawn by winged dragons, which belonged to her grandfather Helios. She took with her the bodies of her two children, whom she had murdered in order to give Jason further pain.
    Medea then took refuge with Aegeus, the old king of Athens, having promised him that she would use her magic to enable him to have more children

And

In Corinth Medea gave birth to two sons, but Jason left her and married the young princess of Corinth. Medea then killed the princess as well as her sons with Jason. She then escaped Jason's wrath in a dragon-drawn chariot and went to Athens.

I don
  • Aye Gideon, the answer I'm looking for is Medea. Nice to "hear" from you, and you may ask when you're ready......
  • Aaaaawww Geeez Beeve, you gonna fault me for a little 's'!?!?!? Well Pooh!! :( I can't help that I have rented fingers!! ;)
  • Come on now, it was more than an "s." She hadn't killed Jason's father, and this happens some time after the fleece debacle.
  • That's a dome scratcher, Gideon. I can't seem to recall it, and I can't recall enough to research it. I seem to remember a lesser Goddess who travelled by dragon-drawn chariot, but her name (for the moment) escapes me. Medea borrowed a chariot from somewhere, right? Now then, who was it?......
  • Ok! I'm willing to admit defeat! <_< Just can't think of who the heck you're after? Although, I have a wee theory (absurd though it may be?).......but, could it possibly be Persefone? After all, seeing how she has tie's and all with Hades. And if anyone was likely to have a bunch of dragon's in the stable, it would be him? <br />
    As WB said, Medea got the wheel's from someone..........no sure fire way more likely to get ya fella peeved then, stropping round town in his car with a bunch of ya girl's.......one up on that.......let them drive! "I'll give you FRUIT ya bl##*y B**#@$d!!!!!! "
  • This one got to much for me. So I PM'd Gid, and he kindly gave me the answer, plus asking right's! :D Which was....just in case ya wondering.....Demeter!
    Since it is a bit of a shallow victory......*hang's head in shame, for having to ask*, I did a bit of home-work on the ole' gal, and found out some info'.
    Demeter, (for those of us who per chance didn't know.) was the 2nd eldest of the God's.....Goddess of the Harvest, and was Kore's dam, who we know so well as Peresphone. Found out heap's more, but it's way too lengthy to pop in here.

Seeing how, I didn't earn the right to ask the next question. I thought I'd throw it open, and see if anyone else would like a go? But am happy to post a query of me own, if no-one objects. :)
  • Oh yeah, Demeter. That's it.....that's the ticket.

Go on Bid, hit us good...
  • Sorry WB, this is probably gonna feel more like a girlie tickle, rather than a full out hit! I've just got back from a few (several bottle's) drink's with some old friend's, and me darn key-board keep's shifting all it's key's roung---err, I mena.......I mean, ROUND and the screen is all fuzzy :P .
    But since I'm away all the morrow & the next, (stupidily said yes, to taking some friend's out horse treking on me Uncle's sheep station....Yay, bug's the size of small planes......am woffling, aren't I?)

Ok......question is.......How would you go about killing a Hamadryad Nymph?
  • by impaling it on a light-wire hook, binding it with thread, and feeding it to a hungry trout. :D
  • Or, if that doesn't work ( :blink: ) you crush it! (it's a plant, you dimwit!) :lol: But, before you crush it, you dry it, then, after crushing it, you roll it up in a zig-zag and smoke it!! :P
  • Errr......you could, but to no avail....although it would be a rather novel fly for your fishing rod. :D

SB, you're closer....with the plant thing. Ya just missing a bit though. :P
  • Alrighty, then you kill or crush the tree that she was created with. But, you'll get into BIG trouble with the gods if you do that!! :o
  • Hamadryad Nymph is a nymph associated with oak trees.

To kill her is to kill the tree.
    But to kill the tree, one must make a sacrifice to her to appease her.
    Failure to do so will turn the thing you kill the tree with against the one doing the killing.

The Hamadryad Nymph is a spirit of the tree, it lives in it, but is not it (the tree).

All dryads were *under* pan.
    So to speak.
    *ahem*

:ph34r:
  • Well, seeing how both of you are correct......to kill the Hamadryad, ya have to kill the Oak tree......I'm going to let you two decide who gets the asking rights to this.

So when you're ready.....fire away!! :D
  • *bows to the staff member*
    They said it first, i just said more on it.
    They get the cookie.

• Cookies!?!? I like cookies!! :D Why thank you Blaqasphalt, that is very kind of you...... I will remember to return the kindness and gentlemanliness!!! :) (yes, for certain your answer was more thorough than mine!)

Back in the good ol' days of Greece, there was a goddess who got p*ssed off at King Oeneus and send a HUGE wild boar into his lands to prevent him and his people from cultivating and sewing the land. A hunting party was gathered to go out and kill the boar, with the pelt and tusks to be the prize awarded by the King to the one who kills it. During the hunt, someone puts out the beasts eye........ WHO WAS IT!?!?
  • Amphiaraus

Killed the boar after many other heroes had failed miserably.
    Atalanta had grazed its ear but little else.

• Well, you are right about Amphiarus being the one to blind the poor beast, but it was actually Meleager who killed it. (where in the world did they come up with these names!?)

Anywhoooo...... you're on Blaqasphalt..... Make our heads spin!! :D
  • Once i was death
    Now i am technology
    Land i rule, the people and the legacy
    Anubis and the Norns are under my wing
    Time waits for no oneand like the void, my tone is black.

Who am i?

Hmm that shouldnt be too hard at all.
    Just to whet my whistle so to speak.

• Anubis??
  • noop, anubis is one of the clues.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion