PS3 no 7.1 on optic cable
  • I get 6.1 and 7.1 out of my reciever via optical cable from other bd players. I contacted monster cable and they confirmed that i dont have a magic optical cable. I contacted sony with the following.

the PS3 supports 7.1 via HDMI but optic cable does not. the manual says that the optic cable doesnt have the bandwith. I contacted monster cable and they said there optic cable supports 7.1 pcm. my reciever will accept 6.1 and 7.1 via optic cable as well. since the PS3 uses software to control the output of the audio signal I dont see why you cant give a patch / firmware to give the same audio output options as the HDMI

heres there reply.
    Thank you for writing us.

We appreciate your enthusiasm and continued support for our PlayStation(R) family line of products.
    As you may have guessed, Sony Computer Entertainment America (SCEA) receives great suggestions from
    our consumers, as well as from our own employees, and employees of our affiliates, on a daily basis.

SCEA is continuously engaged in extensive research and development in many areas, including without
    limitation, consumer toys and games, computer and video entertainment products, and other products
    for consumer marketplace. SCEA may have developed, or may in the future develop, materials similar
    or identical to those presented to SCEA by you. Due to the overwhelming submission of ideas,
    concepts, and designs for products and our continual research and development, SCEA is unable to
    accept ideas and inventions, which have not been requested by SCEA. In addition, we are sorry to
    tell you that you will not be compensated if a product that is similar or identical to your
    suggestion is produced. We hope you understand our position on this matter and we apologize for the
    inconvenience.

If you have further questions regarding this message, please refer to your email case
    number:5348778.

Regards,
    James G.
    Multimedia Representative
    Sony Computer Entertainment America
    Consumer Services Department

from what I gather the PS3 audio output of HDMI and optical run off the same chip and are software controlled. I dont see any reason why a patch to give the same options for optical as the HDMI and let peoples recievers determin if it can handle the signal.

I know I am knot allone with this problem