upgrading hard drive
  • I bought a 40gb ps3 and i would like to upgrade the hard drive to atleast 160gb. I tried the western digital notebook 2.5 sata 5400rpm 160gb but it didnt work it ,it mounts an the braket but wont slide all the way in to the ps3..for some reason the connection is not the same.. Is there another one i should try? If it could be done with the 40gb, which hard drive is recommeded to use?? thanx
  • There is no reason why that drive should not have worked, the connections are pretty much standardized across the board to accommodate the various brands of laptops. Doublecheck to be sure you have the drive placed absolutely correct on the bracket and try it again.

If it fails and the drive simply refuses to connect, I would suggest trying a Seagate brand.

BTW, thanks for the reminder- i need to get around to doing this myself with my 20 GB. :redface:
  • thank you ....i was comparing both hard drives and they are slightly diffrent as far as connection goes ,but i will try again..thanx
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    There is no reason why that drive should not have worked, the connections are pretty much standardized across the board to accommodate the various brands of laptops. Doublecheck to be sure you have the drive placed absolutely correct on the bracket and try it again.

If it fails and the drive simply refuses to connect, I would suggest trying a Seagate brand.

BTW, thanks for the reminder- i need to get around to doing this myself with my 20 GB. :redface:

just wanted to thank you again..i tried it again and it worked lucky for me i didnt retuned it right away
  • Glad to hear things worked this time- had me wondering about my own, i happen to be going to use a Western Digital 160 as well.
  • Upgrading the hardrive is the right thing to do..backing up my data took about 9 hours but installing the new harddrive,formatting and restoring took less than 10 minutes..definatly worth the wait. Hey .. I got the 160gb western digital at circuit city for less than $100 .if u haven't gotten one yet check there.
  • I have the drive here already, got it on the cheap on eBay.No Circuit City stores in Canada, either. Just a matter of me getting myself around to actually making the switch. :p
  • After finding out that it did fit,makin the switch was quick and simple ,about 5 minutes for the whole prosess. But backin up your data that's a whole diffrent story,in my case. If you don't plan to back up your saved data,you can do it in no time..... Here in New Jersey there is a circuit city in almost every town.
  • Well, had a go with switching the drive but thanks to Sony using rather soft metal screws I wasn't able to get things switched. Those things are in way to tight to make this an "easy process". :angry:
  • Went about this the slightly easier way- contacted Sony to ask for a new hard drive tray with replacement screws (took a couple of ties to get through to the guy i talked to what i wanted- not too bright, some of them). I'll be seeing this within a few weeks and will be able to just put the drive into a new tray and make the switch. B) As a bit of a bonus he extended my warranty a bit so i can get this thing free of charge.
  • Those screws were tight, I think I had just the right size screwdriver the screws came out fairly eazy and without getting the head stripped ..one of my friends try to do it to his ps3 and he use a pretty big screwriver and stripped 2 screws,he made the switch but right now only 2 screws hold his harddrive in place .. You were lucky gettin sony to extend your warranty .. I should try to see if im lucky.