• Hi there. I need help with the PS3. Myself and a plethora of others have been extremely unhappy with the Play Station 3's inability to play PS2 games. A great example would be the games in the Shadow Hearts series. Not a single player has been able to get their PS3 to not freeze during the "lottery". Many players have also had trouble with the PS3 freezing throughout other parts of the game. Is there a way to troubleshoot this problem, or were the makers of the PS3 just lazy and too unintelligent to create a satisfactory product?
  • I apologize for my last entry. My last sentence was very rude. I'm just so frusterated with my PS3 always freezing when I'm right in the middle of something. Not to mention that now I can't get one of the most powerful fusion monsters. Do you know of a way to get the earth gravestone on the first shadow hearts without being able to get tissues through the lottery?
  • I'm afraid there just isn't anything that can be done by you or me in regards to the backward compatibility issue- this is one of the problems with the software- based emulation used in the 80 GB system. Until they do a fix via a firmware update the only solution to get through the game is to use a PS2.

In the future, if there are any PS2 games you want to check for workability on the PS3 use this page.
  • Thank you. In the future I'll make sure to play PS2 games on the PS2, and thank you for the link. It was very helpful. In regards to Shadow Hearts the game though, do you know of another way to get the gravestone that is normally obtained in the bathroom in Prague? Usually you need to lose the lottery and give the man in the stall "tissues", but since I cannot play the lottery I can't get the tissues. Any ideas? I'd rather not restart my whole game on the PS2 at this point if it can be helped.
  • There is no other way to get there, I'm afraid. However, you would not need to start over completely on the PS2. Using a PS2/ PS3 memory card adapter, you would be able to transfer the game save you have now onto a PS2 memory card to use on the PS2.One of the recent firmware updates made 2-way transfer possible using the device.
  • Wow, that's great to hear! So I can just go to circuit city and ask for a ps3 to ps2 memory card adaptor?
  • Yep, just about any place selling PS3 accessories should have it. It's an inexpensive bit (only $15 bucks or so) and connects to the PS3 using the USB cable that came with it. Then just plug the PS2 card into it (doesn't play well with third party cards, best to use an actual Sony card), copy the save and you are good to go.
  • Wow thank you so much! You have been very helpful!
  • Just another small question are all newly released PS2 games that come out now, compatible with the PS3?
  • Not necessarily when it comes to the software emulation, Rob. Only way to know for sure a game will work is to check the backward compatibility sites Sony set up for each region. Those of us in North America that bought the earlier builds (20 GB and 60 GB ) won't have a problem, however, as the actual PS2 chipset is inside (pays to be an early adopter sometimes ;) ).
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Not necessarily when it comes to the software emulation, Rob. Only way to know for sure a game will work is to check the backward compatibility sites Sony set up for each region. Those of us in North America that bought the earlier builds (20 GB and 60 GB ) won't have a problem, however, as the actual PS2 chipset is inside (pays to be an early adopter sometimes ;) ).

Yeah i do check Sonys BC Site, but it doesnt seem like they update it at all.:frown:
    And i wish they did what they did in North America in Europe with the BC issue. Sony need to get into gear on this issue in my opinion!:rolleyes:
    Cheers for the reply Lyn.:)