Choppy online voice chat and connection trouble.
  • I have a 20gig ps3 with a wired connection to a dlink dir 655 router. I love the machine I never had a problem with it except the internet connection. I've set up a DMZ and hve a Nat type 2 but when i talk to friends during games and online chat its very choppy and hard to understand me. I'm using a nokia bh100 bluetooth, it seems to connect fine and works good otherwise. I'm also getting disconnected from online matches in Call of Duty 4 and sometimes it takes awhile to connect. I have a 1Mbit/s connection (supposedly) but sometimes its only 300-500Kbit/s. Any help in this would be great as i have talked to sony, dlink, and my IP.
  • Just to try out of curiosity, do a "power cycle" of the router- unplug it for about 30 seconds or so and them plug it in again. Sometimes this helps finalize setting changes.

Other than that i would suggest rechecking the DMZ settings to make sure the IP address matches what you gave the PS3 as well as check the PS3's settings itself (maybe enter in the DNS server numbers on there if you haven't yet along with the router IP address).

Finally, just to make sure the ports are opening for the mic go into the router's port forwarding and open UDP 6000 to 7000, 10050 and 50000.
  • Thanks, ive cycled the router a few times and checked the ip addresses and entered the router default. I entered the primary DNS the same as the default router but the secondary DNS as 4.2.2.2 as told by Dlink. I'll try opening the ports now. Thanks for the quick response.
  • Going 4.2.2.2 for the secondary DNS doesn't sound quite right- these should match what is given by your ISP and is shown in the Status/ Summary screen of the router.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Going 4.2.2.2 for the secondary DNS doesn't sound quite right- these should match what is given by your ISP and is shown in the Status/ Summary screen of the router.

Yeah thats how I first had it and it did seem to work better. U R saying my primary DNS & secondary DNS should be the same as my default router?
    Also when open the UDP ports should I open the TCP aswell.
  • What ethernet cable should I be using, I currently have a cat 6 but I read somewhere in this forum about using a cat 5 or something?
  • i get issues with warhawk sometimes well allot where instead of hearing people speek it just makes a very strange wibbly wobbly noise anyone know why this is?
  • SaReimer, you should be using regular CAT-5e networking cable to connect between the router and the PS3.

As for the DNS servers, they should match exactly what your router has for them.

Just go with UDP- the PS3 doesn't use the TCP ports at those numbers for anything.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    SaReimer, you should be using regular CAT-5e networking cable to connect between the router and the PS3.

As for the DNS servers, they should match exactly what your router has for them.

Just go with UDP- the PS3 doesn't use the TCP ports at those numbers for anything.

Why do u suggest going with a CAT 5e cable when CAT 6 has faster data transfer capability?
  • CAT-5e is actually the same speed as CAT 6, up to 1 Gigabit/ second. You are getting no advantage using CAT 6 but are likely paying a bit more for it. It is normal CAT-5 that is slower in the data rate.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    CAT-5e is actually the same speed as CAT 6, up to 1 Gigabit/ second. You are getting no advantage using CAT 6 but are likely paying a bit more for it. It is normal CAT-5 that is slower in the data rate.

Ok, thanks for all the info. I have a CAT 6 already so I'll use it. I was going to try another router, I have an older linksys, I'm not sure what model it is though. The router I currently use was very expensive and it uses N technology but says its backward compatible with G and B devices. think its our internet connection, its new and we are in a rural area.
  • That N router could be the problem- the specs for those haven't yet been finalized and companies are making those out of what they think the final numbers will be.

I'm guessing your Linksys would be the WRT54G, which is still one of the most popular models of their lineup. You may have better luck using it.