1080i resolution defualting to 720p
  • Hi Guys,

I have a 1080i TV with a HDMI cable plugged into my playstation3. When I turn the playstation on, it says that the display is at 1080i but when I put a game or disk in, the resolution changes to 720p.

Is 720p better than 1080i (sorry I know nothing about TV's)?

• Just about every game on the PS3 is made to run natively at 720p, which is why it switches. 1080i is not good for fast moving images due to frame rate issues. As an example, at one point I had my PS3 set to run 1080i with the Japanese version of Hot Shots Golf. The animation was that jittery/ choppy it wasn't playable at all. You can guess how much this could affect something like a racer or FPS game.

So, 720p is better overall for the gaming aspect. Some games do support 1080i somewhat but those are few in number. Stick with the 720p for gaming and use whichever of the two you prefer for movies.
  • It all depends, I have a 52' Samsung Plasma - 1080i and it runs perfectly on every game that I have (all 32 of them;)) A game with a fast frame rate would definately be Call of Dudy 4, there is so much going on at once...bombs flying, helicopters, shootings, and I don't seem to have any problems with it.

And Chris, what is the size of your TV? I know a couple of buddies that have a 42 inch and its AWESOME on 720p. Then again, if you have a bigger TV like myself, why not use it to your advantage and get the most out of your 1080i, thats why its there no?

add me on PSN, i'm on a lot gaming it out:)

PSN: Fillyboi

Ps. Lyndon, I copied some of the text you wrote and sent it to a friend off my PSN list that needed the same help. Thank you
  • ***Duty

i woke up a little late lol..can't spell ugh!