Metal gear online problems
  • im at the end of my mind here.
    ive been trying all day and nothing has worked.
    i have an id on konamis site for the new mgo beta. i can log in and out as much as i please. but when i log in, a message comes up saying udp port check failed. furthermore, the start game option does not show up. only network setting, blood, screen adjustment and so forth. i have opened some ports but to no avail. i can access the internet perfectly from my ps3 and have played resistance online before. this is a very anoying problem and i would appreciate any help at all that anyone can give even if its just to tell me what im doing wrong. (i assume i dont have a proper connection setup or my ports are disconfiguered)

thank you
  • You may want to go into your router settings and make sure the normal ports are opened for online gaming. The ports used for gaming on the PS3 are:

* TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
    * UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070, and 50100
  • finally. everyone in every other forum wouldnt answer me. and thank you for your speedy response.

but just so im clear. do i open ports from my pc in network settings. through the firewall? i have windows xp on my desktop for the record. thats the computer connected directly to the router
  • You do this in your router set up on the computer (considering you are having port problems I am guessing you connect online through that). You do use a router, correct?
  • yes. its a netopia smartmodem. im trying to open up ports now just hope im doing it right

i did play resistance online before without any ports. im beinning to wonder if its just my luck
  • Had never heard of these modem/ router combos before- Netopia seems to be a branch of Motorola. Can you tell me what model this one is? Might be able to find the user manual on the site and figure out how they do the port forwarding bit.

Have been reading through the manual for the 3300 series- they seem to make it overly complicated, don't they? :eek: One thing you may want to look at is adding the PS3's MAC Address to the Wireless MAC Authorization. You can find the MAC Address by going to Settings/ System Settings/ System Information on the PS3.
  • of course. its a Netopia/3347NWG im alreayd doing some research on how to forward ports and set up a static ip address. im gonna keep looking. youve done plenty by telling me what i need to do. and i thank you for it. ill keep trying and try set up eveything. if i have any more questions ill throw them in this thread.

* the mac address is unheard of too me. thank you, ill try it out
  • Just doin' my duty. ;)

A quick Google search using that model number turned up instruction on their site as to the exact method to do port forwarding (they call it pinholes :huh: ). Maybe this will help you out.
  • ok. even though the problem has not been solved. i fell ive learned a lot and im close to figuring it out.

i still get the same error that my game cannot conduct udp port check. so i took your advice and opened some ports. this link explained how i did it Port Forwarding for the Netopia 3347NWG

it also recommended i use a static ip which i have still to perfect this because when i did use a static nat, my nat connection test failed. and the same problem occured. i still feel this is a problem to do with my interent connection. and not my ps3. but i could be wrong,

have you any sugestions
  • You can set up a static IP address for the PS3 in the router's IP Static IRP. You'll just need the PS3's MAC Address, found in Settings/ System Settings/ System Information. Tell the Netopia the address to give (within the range of the router, of course), the MAC Address to give it to and click the Submit button. You then just have to add that same IP address into the PS3's settings.
  • that sounds confusing. im a little lost as to what i should be doing.

just a QUESTION. Would putting my ps3 in a dmz help? or how would i try it?

* i have the ps3s mac address
  • From what i read in the manual doing the static IP bit is actually somewhat simple. Go into Expert Mode and click on Configure. In the list of things to do click "Static IP ARP" (just below Static Routes near the top). Now, you make up an Ip address for the router to use just for the PS3 (just change the last numbers to a bit higher than the router's IP, maybe use 10- the first 3 segments remain the same) and enter in the MAC Address in the blanks beside it and hit Submit.

The DMZ is called "Exposed Addresses" on the Netopia- this could help as this would place the PS3 outside the firewall protection. You would still need to make a custom IP address for the PS3 to do this, however. You'll find this under Security. Once you make up the IP address go in there and put the same IP address in the Start and End IP Address blanks as well as all the ports in the range shown. Click the Submit button when done.
  • i think were nearly there,
    but i think you have read the wrong manual

theres no way to add an attachemnt on this forum and im not sure how to do a screenshot. so heres a basic idea of how my layout on my router looks

Connection Configuration
    VPI: ( )
    VCI: ( )
    Protocol: ( )
    Bridging: ( )

User Name: ( )

Password: ( )

Confirm Password: ( )

Static IP Address: ( )
    IP Gateway: ( )
    Primary DNS Server: ( )
    Secondary DNS Server: ( )

Connection Type:
    User Inactivity Timeout: (30 - 3600 Seconds)

UPnP: ( enabled )

this is under the connections part of expert mode. there is no things to do option. but is this the right filed im in. should i type my static ip into one of these brackts?

also the link in one of my above posts about forwarding ports. it has a few pictures that show what the layout is for my router. like where connections advanced and other things are located in expert mode. thanks again
  • The manual I am reading says it is for the Netopia 3300 series, which would cover the one you have there. I was going to attach it myself here but it's a tad over the file size limit. For some reason, however, your exact model number isn't shown on the Netopia site- not sure if maybe it was discontinued or is a special thing just for your provider.

You may want to call their tech support and quiz them up on the configuration. Times like these I wish ISPs would go with mainstream brands that are more widely known like Linksys and D-Link.
  • yes so do i. but im not that lucky. i dont pay the bills so id otn decide the modem. ah i thought i was so close there. i found what you meant about mac authorization and enabled it. but this did nothing. theres got to be something so simple im overlooking thats causing this problem. i know its something to do with my modem or my ps3 settings but i dont know what. im almost sure i have all the ports open for online play

NAT (Games and Other Services)
    This page allows you to host games and other services over an Internet Connection

Service Name
    "*" denotes custom service

Services
    Service Name Service Mode Host Device
    *ps3 tcp1 Server 192.168.1.80
    *ps3 tcp2 Server 192.168.1.80
    *ps3 tcp3 Server 192.168.1.80
    *ps3 udp 2 Server 192.168.1.80
    *ps3 udp1 Server 192.168.1.80

does anything spring to mind

p.s sorry for dissapearing i was in work, and i know this must be annoying that the problem still exists but i still thank you for your patience
  • overtone said:
    i think were nearly there,
    but i think you have read the wrong manual

theres no way to add an attachemnt on this forum and im not sure how to do a screenshot. so heres a basic idea of how my layout on my router looks

Connection Configuration
    VPI: ( )
    VCI: ( )
    Protocol: ( )
    Bridging: ( )

User Name: ( )

Password: ( )

Confirm Password: ( )

Static IP Address: ( )
    IP Gateway: ( )
    Primary DNS Server: ( )
    Secondary DNS Server: ( )

Connection Type:
    User Inactivity Timeout: (30 - 3600 Seconds)

UPnP: ( enabled )

this is under the connections part of expert mode. there is no things to do option. but is this the right filed im in. should i type my static ip into one of these brackts?

also the link in one of my above posts about forwarding ports. it has a few pictures that show what the layout is for my router. like where connections advanced and other things are located in expert mode. thanks again

You are looking at the wrong page there. Go into Expert Mode and then click on Configure, found on the top menu (ignore the red arrow on the pic, this is grabbed from the support page for this particular model).

You should then see a screen that look like this:

• i dont know where you found that picture but that is not the model im using. it lookd pretty foreign to me and the one i have is actually a lot more complictaed. im contenplating switching isp. just one that cause less hassle.

my apolosiges on being missing for so long. during one of my experiments to find a solution to the metal gear problem, i disabled my dchp server. this disabled all my internet, when i reconnected i still had major problems. lets just say netopia are complex as hell. only got it working five minutes ago.

back to the point at hand there is no way to create a static route ip or any of the options seen above. quite an annoyance.
  • Those pictures come from the actual Netopia site from support pages for that exact model number.

You could still stay with your current net provider but you may want to look into a more mainstream modem/ router combo such as a Linksys brand- they offer several models to choose from. Should be available at your nearest computer store or online.
  • i may just do that. linksys dont sound too bad

i just checked the main netopia site there and checked the model number. that is by far the most stupid thing ive ever seen. it must be outdated or the site is configured wrong. i definitely have a Netopia 3347NWG and it doeswnt look anything like the pictures. mayeb theres some software im missing. its all so confusing to me.