need help with setting up playstation network
  • I barely bought my playstation 3, im not very familiar with networks, ip addresses etc. and im trying to connect wirelessly with my router. So i went to set it up, i scanned for an ip, found mine, typed in my wep code etc. it goes all the way through the setup but always says failed when obtaining the IP address - the attempt to obtain an IP address timed out. Could anybody help me??
  • First thing i should ask is what signal strength does the PS3 show for your connection when you scan for it? The problem may lie in not getting enough signal for a steady connection.
  • It is 100 percent as the router is in my room.
  • Ok- I would suggest going into the router settings and set up a custom IP address just for the PS3. You will need the PS3's MAC Address for this (go to Settings, System Settings, System Information to find this on the PS3). Now, go into the router settings and look for DHCP (probably in the Advanced area). make the IP address high enough so it will not interfere with everything else, maybe make the last 3 numbers .110. Save that and then put that same IP address you made into your PS3's connection settings.

One other thing to try is find the DNS Server numbers as shown in the router's connection summary and enter those into the connection as well. The PS3 is a bit bad for trying to detect them automatically.
  • where do i find "go into the router settings and look for DHCP, make the IP address high enough so it will not interfere with everything else, maybe make the last 3 numbers .110. " on the computer or the ps3? Thanks for all your help through all of this.
  • This is on the computer. Your bits of paperwork that came with your router will have the address you need to enter into the web browser to get to the router set up pages. Then, look around in the Advanced areaof the settings and look for DHCP. Once you have made the changes there just go into the network connection on the PS3 and put in the same IP address you set up in the router for the PS3.
  • I have finally set up my playstation network, thank you for all your help I wanted to let you know i really appreciated it.