Unable to get onto the ps3 network
  • My ps3 can get onto the internet but i am unable to sign in to the PSN. when i do a connection test it is able obtain my IP address, and internet connection succeedes, but the Playstation Network Failes, as it times out. I have a wireless connection and the speed is 1254 Kps. Is this to slow, or is there a way to get onto the PSN.

Any help would be appreciated, i have the urge for online gaming!!!
  • Your speed is fine. What you likely need to do is open certain ports in the router for the PS3's gaming traffic to get through. This is done via the Port Forwarding section of the router's set up pages. The ones you need to open are:

* TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
    * UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070, and 50100

The way this is done varies by router brand but is mostly similar. You will see blanks for either an application or IP address (if application make it PS3, PSN, whatever you like- if by IP address use the one that your PS3 gets), port start and port finish (for the single number ports put the same number in each blank), the port type (you'll note the type of ports listed above) and an enable check box at the end of each line. Once you have everything in hit the button at the bottom of the page to save the settings.

You may have to give the router a quick power cycle if the settings don't take effect right away.Still, that should get you going- enjoy! B)
  • tried that but it still times out, have you got anymore advice that might work?
  • justto check iv opened the ports right, its on my profile pic
  • Your profile pic is too small for me to see with any amount of clarity- best i could figure out was your brand of router (belkin) and the fact that it's the Virtual Servers page. Could you tell me what model number your router is?
  • Its a belkin router: ADSL2 + modem with wireless G Plus MIMO Router
    Model No.: F5D9630-4
  • Allrighty then- head to this page for the step by step instructions for port forwarding on that model router.
  • donethat but the network still times out
  • Hate to say it but part of the problem may be the router itself- quite a few have had trouble getting the Belkin brand to work with the PS3 properly. You may want to consider getting a different router, possibly something from Linksys or D-Link (my personal choice).
  • if i plug it in downstairs through a wired connection from the belkin router ithe PSN works, guess il hav to rob my dads computer everytime i want the PSN