Need help with PS2
  • A friend of mine gave away several PS2's. I took one of them home and plugged it in. It works but the dots in the background become one big ball. If I read correctly this means that the date is not set. I've tried changing the date but it won't let me cycle through the numbers to change it. Just stays at 01/01/2000 12:00am. And also when you insert a memory card or a game it will not find either one in the browser. What problems could this be. I am about to change the bios battery because I know it is dead. Any other help would be greatly appriciated.
  • Now you know why he just gave them away- they were about as functional for gaming as a doorstop would be.That PS2 is having problems with both the laser and the ports on the system- both of which would have to be replaced. You would be better off to replace the PS2 altogether.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Now you know why he just gave them away- they were about as functional for gaming as a doorstop would be.That PS2 is having problems with both the laser and the ports on the system- both of which would have to be replaced. You would be better off to replace the PS2 altogether.

That comment isn't helpful at all. REALLY no help at all!

But as a little fyi I originally got it just to use for spare parts anyway but thought that maybe since at least it boots I might be able to get it going again. Yes the laser is out. But those can be replaced. The controller ports work just fine. I can try to scroll through the date and time to change it and it actually moves on the screen but it just stays at 01/01/2001 12:00AM. No matter what I do. So if anybody has something useful to say. Say it. Otherwise just move on.
  • Sounds like several parts need to be replaced in that system- the disc drive itself, the laser, the controller ports, etc.- just about everything is shot other than the main board itself. In the end it would be more cost effective to buy a new one.