PlayStation Network Help
  • Alright, I got a PS3 about three months ago and I've beent trying to figure out how to set it up for a while now and I thought it was time I find help which is why I made this thread. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could walk me through the process step by step in order to get a wired connection.

Details:

-I've recently gotten an Ethernet Cable
    -I've got a Dell computer
    -I've got a router but I'm not sure if it's wireless or not

Let me know what other details you need in order to help me get it set up. If anyone could help me out in getting this set up, I'd greatly appreciate it and would love to get to know you and hopefully play online with you once I get it set up.

Thanks,
    heaterhiter34
  • Alright, I've got my struggle pretty narrowed down now. All I need to know is how to get your Primary and Secondary DNS Adresses or whatever they're called.

Thanks,
    heaterhiter34
  • Good to see you made some progress n your own with this- it really isn't as hard as some make it out to be. B)

Have a look in the router's Status or Connection page and you should see the DNS Addresses listed there- those are what you should enter into the PS3 settings as it will be getting its information from the router.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Have a look in the router's Status or Connection page and you should see the DNS Addresses listed there- those are what you should enter into the PS3 settings as it will be getting its information from the router.

I just can't figure out where the router status/connection page is. When I do the connection test, it obtains the IP Address but the Internet Connection fails saying it's a DNS error so I'm assuming I'm not putting the right DNS in which I know I am. And I can't figure out how to locate it. I'm searching the control panel and I can't find anything that has to do with my router. Can anyone give me a walkthrough to get to my Router Status/Connection page?
  • The router status/ connection summary is in the set up pages of the router itself, not the computer's control panel. Log into the router configuration in your web browser to find it.
  • This is gonna sound stupid since I know nothing when it comes to computers, but what is a web browser? Lol.
  • I found the DNS and everything, but it says this when the Internet Connection fails:

"An error occurred during communication with the server.
    This is a DNS error.
    (80710102)"

Any clue what this means?
  • By "web browser" I mean whatever you are using to see the forums now- Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.. ;)

That error usually means the DNS server numbers don't match up with what the router says they are. Again, you'll have to go into the router settings via your web browser (the instructions that came with your router have the details on getting there) and look up the DNS addresses in the Status or Summary page, making sure you have them in correctly.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    By "web browser" I mean whatever you are using to see the forums now- Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc.. ;)

That error usually means the DNS server numbers don't match up with what the router says they are. Again, you'll have to go into the router settings via your web browser (the instructions that came with your router have the details on getting there) and look up the DNS addresses in the Status or Summary page, making sure you have them in correctly.

Oh, I'm using Internet Explorer.

I have the right DNS Server numbers though. It can't be that. I did this to get it:

Start -- Run -- Typed cmd -- typed ipconfig /all

Then it gave me my DNS Server Numbers and I put both of them in exactly.
  • Do you think trying wireless would work?
  • Going wired or wireless, the system will still need the same info so it won't make any difference. The DNS addresses found under IPConfig may be correct for the computer but are not necessarily the correct ones being used by the router as the info it is giving. As i said, you will have to log into the router set up and find the numbers in there.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Going wired or wireless, the system will still need the same info so it won't make any difference. The DNS addresses found under IPConfig may be correct for the computer but are not necessarily the correct ones being used by the router as the info it is giving. As i said, you will have to log into the router set up and find the numbers in there.

How exactly do you log into your router set up?
  • Most routers have you log in by typing an IP address into the address bar of the web browser with the http:// stuck in front of it (Linksys routers mostly use http://192.168.1.1 for example). This brings up a dialog box where you enter in the username/ password combo required to properly log in. If you aren't sure how this is done with your router let me know the brand and model number of it and we can soon find out.