• Ok, the vengeance part has nothing to do with the thread so lets let wreck start us off.
  • This may not be the best question to start a new thread with, but my tank is running low.

If Cats have Kittens, then Bats have?.............
  • I believe that this one has been posted before, answered wrong by me and then right be me... so I will give it another go

Cats have Kittens
    Bats have Bittens

I think that was how it went.
  • Egad! Zounds! and Gadzooks! but that went fast. Yes, Rex you are correct, and please pardon my repetitive @$$. Your turn, of course.....
  • No problem WB, its not my fault that I have to live with this gift of mine...
    Anyway on with my question.

Why is George Washington's official birthday celebration held on February 22 when he was actually born on February 11?
  • well i got two answers and the first one is is that lincons birthday is on the 12 of FEB
    and now my 2nd guess is.is that presidents day is on the 18th???
  • Maybe they wrote Feb. 22 on his birth certificate?
  • Well nobody has got it yet and if nobody gets it by tommorow I will post a new question.
  • i git the answer

In 1971, both February 12 and February 22 were observed as federal public holidays to honor the birthdays of Abraham Lincoln (February 12) and George Washington (February 22).
  • Ok this one is obviously too tough for you guys here is the answer...

We lost 11 days when we changed from the Julian to the Gregoian calenders during his lifetime. So Washington celebrated his birithday eleven days later to make it a year after his last birthday.

Here is the new question...

What gets wetter as it dries?
  • A towel? :)

And if its right, and i dont post anything in the next few days, feel free to ask 1 yourself.

:D
  • You got it. Guess that one was alot easier than my previous question.
  • Okay, here we go then...

James Dean works in the 27th floor of a skyscraper, and usually, he goes to the 21 floor on the lift and walks up the remaining 6 flights of stairs. Today however, it rained, and so he decided to to straight to the 27th floor on the lift. What is the reason for his strange behaviour?

;) Keep thinking...

• The stairs are on the outside of the building?
  • Nope, but keep on guessing. Its something about James Dean personally...

:o
  • Could James Dean be a constuction worker? He normal only get the elevator to the 21st floor as that is as far as the elevator goes, but on the day that it rains, the sky scraper has been build on a bit more and the elevator now goes all the way to floor 27?
  • I think I may have the answer for you Crash.

James Dean is only tall enough to reach the 21st floor button in the elevator, but on rainy days he has his umbrella with him so he uses that to push the button for the 27th floor. ;)
  • And guess what....Fat Jiffy is CORRECT (ding ding ding ding!) The floors all your... :D

:P

;) Good guess though, Theve1tch.
  • Ok Time to really put those Brains to work

Four men sat down to play
    They played all night till the break of day
    They played for gold and not for fun
    With seperate scores for everyone
    When they cam to square accounts
    They all had made quite fair amounts.

Can you explain the paradox?

If no one lost how could they all win?? ;)
  • Were the 4 men in some type of street band that played for money??????
  • They were playing the pokies, maybe?
  • I'd have to agree with Stonewall - they were musicians.

They were playing for gold (busking)

They each had different musical scores

and they all made cash from the passers by.

:)
  • Good guesses all but not the exact answer I am looking for.

Knowze is on the right track though :D
  • They were playing poker but they were not the only ones in the game. The others lost.
  • Is the answer ever going to get posted? If no answer is forthcoming by end of Friday, I am going to post a new brain teaser.
  • OK. It's Friday. So if no one objects I am posting a brainteaser. I think this one is a tad hard. But who knows, we have a pretty smart group at APi. Here goes...

What feature do the words below share?

TROUT HECTARE STINTED RIALTO
  • they're all in red LOL
  • Alrighty, I'm gonna guess at the "old" one first,... the one about the guys that all sit down to play...... et al....

They all sat down to play card games (poker) but at DIFFERENT tables/games. Not too hard.....

As for yours Gr8..... I have no idea...... yet. Lemme keep trying. If not this morning, then later tonight.
  • Alright guys. No one's come up with even a guess! I'll post the answer sometime Wednesday afternoon!
  • Four men sat down to play
    They played all night till the break of day
    They played for gold and not for fun
    With seperate scores for everyone
    When they cam to square accounts
    They all had made quite fair amounts.[/b]

They were members in a band.

Gr8, I have NO idea with yours....toughie!
  • the letters of the words can be rearranged to different jobs.

trout - tutor

hectare - teacher

stinted - dentist

rialto - tailor

that's just a guess
  • Sounds like a good guess to me juggleknot! Nice observation!
  • And juggleknot comes out of the woodwork with the correct answer! (although I am sceptical that it wa a "guess".) Yes, all four words can be rearranged to form words of jobs.

TROUT = TUTOR
    HECTARE = TEACHER
    STINTED = DENTIST
    RIALTO = TAILOR

The floor is yours!
  • easy one:

Three murder suspects are being interrogated.

Joe says "I'm innocent, and so is Mary."
    Mary says "Susan did it. George is innocent."
    Susan says "I'm innocent. Mary did it."

the guilty one lied, and both innocent people told the truth. who is the murderer?
  • Would it be Susan?
  • i'd have to agree.

Both Joe and Mary indicate susan is guilty. If only 1 person is lying, then at least one of them must be telling the truth. If at least one of them is telling the truth then Susan is the murderer.

:)
  • congratulations, Theve1tch you have the floor.
  • That's all well and good, but who the hell is George? Is he the victim?
  • Thanks for the floor, but i'll not post a question, im ok at answering but usless at asking. I leave this floor open for anyone to ask on. Aint a nice person ;)
  • George was supposed to be Joe. i had a brain spasm and typed the wrong name. the guilty person is the same in both cases, so i guess it doesn't matter.

since i'm here and the floor's open, i could ask a question, but can't think of anything with all this antibiotic running through me, so the floor's still open.
  • If I may. I will ask a quick and maybe not so hard one.

What is the only word in the English language that can be pluralized by adding a "C"?
  • Gr8 i have a feeling this is a trick question.
    Would the answer be : $exy (Say it, and tell me it aint pronounced $exc). Least i would count sexy as a possible plural of $ex.
  • Nope. This is definately not a trick question. There is one word that becomes plural when adding only one "c" to it.

*Hint* Both singular and plural words are quite common. You've probably used one or both recently!
  • penic? :lol:
  • I'm not too sure which is the plural :unsure: but is it die/dice?
  • Nice guess WB! But it's not the answer.

Killa is correct! Add a "C" to the singular "DIE" and you get the plural "DICE".

Nice going Killa, the floor is yours!
  • Sorry, I forgot about this, LOL. Lucky theve1tch reminded me or you'de be waiting for a loooong time.
    Ok, here's the best I could come up with (maybe some of you have heard it before).

A cowboy rides into town on Thursday and stays for a single night, then rides out of town on Thursday. How is this possible?

I know it's a crappy one, but it's the only one I could think of <_< </font>
  • He has a horse with the name of Thursday.
  • Bah, I told you it wasn't that great. Now back to some high(er) quality brainteasers - your turn Newish B)
  • Wow, I tottaly forgot about this thread! TheVe1tch reminded me about this (like KiLLa). I might buy myself my own personal desktop TheVe1tch to give me reminders!!!:D

Here is my brain teaser:

Whoever makes it, tells it not. Whoever takes it, knows it not. And whoever knows it, wants it not. What is it?

Have a go at that.
  • It's probably wrong, but i'll take a guess... Trouble?
  • Nice try, but no cigar. I have to say now that I think about it, I wouldn't have been able to guess it.
  • Originally posted by Newish@Aug 12 2002, 03:59 PM
    Wow, I tottaly forgot about this thread! TheVe1tch reminded me about this (like KiLLa). I might buy myself my own personal desktop TheVe1tch to give me reminders!!!:D

Here is my brain teaser:

Whoever makes it, tells it not. Whoever takes it, knows it not. And whoever knows it, wants it not. What is it?

Have a go at that.

Your desktop Ve1tch, and other "Ve1tch range" accessories can be purchested at your local computer store. The standard model will remind you of all forgotten threads, and also give the odd witty remark. The Deluxe version, will also pretend to be your friend, and help with none thread related problems. :D :D

Now for the brain teaser: Would it be........an ugly women?? The parents won't admitt it's theres, I doubt a 'boyfriend' would know it's now following him, and if he knows it, he won't want it. :lol:
  • Nice try, no cigar to Ve1tch (I'll hurry down to my local Dixons and buy a Deluxe Ve1tch later on!).

And to Gid, nice try, I haven't got any cigars, but you still got it! We aren't happening to be looking on the same website for brain teasers are we? :D

The floor is yours, oh Gideon.
  • MOON STARERS

However I'd like to meet the female astronomers who are STAR MOONERS :lol:
  • Damn and blast it!

I thought that might last a bit longer.

Of course the littlesardine is right
  • littlesardine ?!?!?! I aughta rip the skin off your face! Oh wait, someone already did! :P

OK, here's the next one...

The Pope has it but he does not use it.
    Your father has it but your mother uses it.
    Nuns do not need it.
    Arnold Schwarzenneger has a big one,
    Michael J. Fox's is quite small.
    What is it?
  • Well I might as well post what everyone else is thinking. A penis? :lol: ;)
  • [quote]Well I might as well post what everyone else is thinking. A penis? [quote]

Hummmmmmm, You are right Rex, That's what I was thinking.. :lol:
    But I'll give it a quess and say a Cane???? Ahhhhh I don't know <_< <br />
    Worf
  • A last name.
  • D@mn you, you ball-headed Monkey, you stoll it right out from under my nose!!!!! Why don't you SLEEP at night like HUMANS do!?!?!? :P :blink: :P
  • He he Rex and Worf. What dirty little minds!

WB is right of course. A LAST NAME.

Your turn WB....
  • Speedie, I'm fresh-out of ideas, please be my guest and do the honors........

ps. If I'm a ball-headed monkey, and you can't solve my "Next Lines" puzzle, what does that make you? :P
  • It makes me a RETARDED POLLACK, something I've readily admitted numerous times..... where have you been?? Hitting up the bordellos with Gid and Lu again,..... got your head 'in the clouds'!?!? hehe :P

ok then, If a hen and a half lay an egg and a half
    in a day and a half, how many eggs will
    half a dozen hens lay in half a dozen days??

:P Good luck to ya! :P
  • Allright, lets try...12:1.5=8x1.5=12x6=...72 eggs i guess
  • No, no, no Gideon!!! A hen can lay an egg a day!!! Re-read the brainteaser and you might understand. Maybe wait 'til the hangover subsides a little. ;)

6*6=36!!!

That is my answer, 36 eggs.
  • Nicely done, SB. My decision to turn over the thread was a wise one. It was a no-brainer, 'cause everyone knows that anything dealing with thread is woman's work.........

ps. Oh yes I did :P

• 1: Mr. Gideon is our BIG FAT WIENER this time!!!!!! WOOOOO HOOOOO!!!! Excellent Gid, nice to see the drunken stupor and hang over have finally gone!! ;)

2:
    No, no, no Gideon!!! A hen can lay an egg a day!!! Re-read the brainteaser and you might understand. Maybe wait 'til the hangover subsides a little. [/b]

Rex, seems to me that perhaps your own drunken stupor has clouded your brain...... the poser says "A hen and a half".... not 'a hen'!! heheheee!!!!! GOTCHA!!!

3: WB, that kind of thinking is where we got this great song:

Put another log on the fire.
    Cook me up some bacon and some beans.
    And go out to the car and change the tire.
    Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
    Come on, baby, you can fill my pipe
    And then go fetch my slippers.
    And boil me up another pot of tea.
    Then put another log on the fire babe,
    And come & tell me why you're leaving me.

Now don't I let you wash the car on Sunday?
    And don't I warn you when you're gettin fat?
    Ain't I a-gonna take you fishin' with me someday?
    Well, a man can't love a woman more than that.
    And ain't I always nice to your kid sister?
    Don't I take her driving every night?
    So, sit here at my feet cause I like you when you're sweet,
    And you know it ain't feminine to fight.

So, put another log on the fire.
    Cook me up some bacon and some beans.
    And go out to the car and change the tire.
    Wash my socks and sew my old blue jeans.
    Come on, baby, you can fill my pipe
    And then go fetch my slippers.
    And boil me up another pot of tea.
    Then put another log on the fire babe,
    And come & tell me why you're leaving me.

Thanks to Shel Silverstein (who doesn't follow the 'i before e except after c' rule) for that lovely little tune!
    Thread you say!?!? Yeah, gimme somma dat, so I can sew your big fat PIE HOLE shut!! :P (men are such pigs!) :P
  • A golf ball, I am an expert at slicing one of them.... :D
  • Told ya it was an easy one :)

Looks like the floor is all yours again gjc
  • Okay, let's try math.

In the multiplication shown below, the digits have been replaced by letters. Different letters represent different digits, same letters represent the same digits.

What was the original multiplication?

A B C D E
    =========
    E D C B A

This post was out there all weekend without and answer. I will leave it out here for the rest of today.
  • I am not doing this to get another post, just to get it into todays list. It looks like it was forgotten.
  • The answer is...

x4
    --------

I cheated. Sort of. It took 30 seconds to write a program that ran in 10 seconds to find the answer. Being a programmer does have it's advantages! ;)
  • Super job GR8. How do you think I came up with it. I am a DBA on the mainframe. :D

Time for your dance.
  • cheaters! :P :lol: :D
  • You are in a strange cellar with three light switches that control three light bulbs on the floor above. Each switch controls only one bulb, and all three switches are in the off position. You may move any of the switches, but may go upstairs only once to inspect the bulbs. How do you determine which switches in the cellar control each bulb on the floor above with only one inspection?
  • Veeeeeeery carefully!!

The ceiling of the cellar (therefore the floor of the floor above you) is glass...... shows one of the bulbs. That would uncover which switch is for that one. That just leaves the other two, which are in rooms without a glass floor. Flip one other switch, go up to see what bulb it lights, and you know which switch is for the last one! :P

(oh well, worth a try!)
  • I know this one, so here
  • Yeah, they get warm...... but if you can only go upstairs once....... OK....... you flip one switch..... let it go for a while... then turn it off...... then you flip another one and leave it on....... then you go up.......
    The bulb that is off but warm is connected to the first switch, the one that is ON is connected to the switch that is on, and the last (off) one is connected to the last 'off' switch!!

TAH DAH!!!!!!!!!

(thanks Gid!!!!!) hehehee......... being married to an electrician, I should have had this one right off!!) :blink: duh me!! :blink:
  • Bite me Gideon! Or should my avatar bite you for giving it away! :D

Correct yo are speedie. Turn switch one on for a minute or so then shut it off. Turn switch two on then go upstairs. The bulb that's on corresponds to switch two. The bulb that's warm corresponds to switch one and obviously the bulb that's not on is for switch three.

Take it awat speedie. I'm sure your hubby would have been disappointed and amused at your first guess! ;)
  • (by Gr8whiteShark on Aug 20 2002, 09:44 AM)

I'm sure your hubby would have been disappointed and amused at your first guess!
    [/b]

Well, we're just not gonna tell him now are we!?!? :ph34r:

hehheheeee.......

Alrighty, let's try this one:

Theve1tch was studying one night for a test (as we all know he needs all the help he can get)...... when the lights went out. It was about 1:00 AM (which explains his test scores..... he needs his rest!! :P). He lighted two uniform-sized candles of equal length, but one was thicker than the other. The thick candle was supposed to last for six hours, and the thinner one for two hours less. When he finally went to sleep, the thicker candle was twice as long as the thinner one.

For how long did Theve study by candle light??

• YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!! :P

(show your work, if you dare!) hehehheee......... Man, here I am, sitting here innocently trying to appear to be intelligent, and here comes WB, blowing me outta the water!!!!!! WWWWWAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!! ;)

Good show..... have at it!
  • I couldn't show my work if I had to, speedie. I think it was one of those Idiot-savant things (I'm half-right anyway, eh?), I read the question and the answer is three hours. It just came to me.

Speedie, please ask again. I'm not thinking of anything good right now......
  • While I thank you for your gentlemanly generosity, I will humbly wait for you to come up with a hum-dinger WB...... you have earned it!! I prefer to try to answer them anyway.... trying to come up with them gives me a dreadful headache! ;)
  • Alrighty then, I'm having trouble recalling if I remember this from here or from another source, but either way, it's been quite a while. Here it is:

A dork (dork #1) is walking down the road minding his own dorky business when he comes to a fork in the road where he finds two more dorks (dorks #s 2 and 3). The forks each lead to a different town full of dorks. One way goes to truthtown, and the other leads to lieburg. All the residents of truthtown always tell the truth, and all the residents of lieburg always tell lies. Now each of these dorky towns is represented by the two dorks at the fork, one dork will tell the truth, and the other dork will lie. Now supposing that dork #1 wants to go to truthtown, and is only allowed to ask the dorks at the fork one (1) question, what should that question be?
    (he must ask the same question of both dorks)

I hope that's not too easy.
  • ARGH!!! I know how this works I just forget how to explain it!!! :unsure: :angry:
  • Ok o'great WB, please enlighten us to the correct answer. This thread has been empty for a month plus. About time it was set rolling again (but not by me cos i'm a dumb ass :D )
  • he'll ask them which path they came from cause the lying dork will point to truth town and so will the truth telling dork. That's all i can think of.
  • Attaboy, BM! Nicely played. The floor is yours.
  • My.........brain.........hurts..... :P Haha I can't think of anything right now so why doesn't someone else take the floor for me :)
  • The goat holds up a die and asks his friend the cow
    I'm gunna throw this here die untill the 6 comes up. If you can guess how many throws it takes I'll give ya my brand new hat!

How many throws should the cow tell him he needed, if she wanted the hat ?
  • That was so funny I had to wipe spit off my screen:lol: It isn't the "correct" answer but it's so good I am alomst villing to give you right

Tell me did she also had big suprised eyes and her jaw dropped, and the hat was in fact a green suede pimphat with a long peacockfeater in it? :lol:

The answer has to do with how big of a chance a certain throw would give

edit:
    Since no one seems to know or take an intrest in this I hereby give you the answer.
    The cow should guess 1 throw.
    The first throw gives a 1 to 6 chance of getting the six, wich meens the chance for any other number is 5/6.
    So for every throw after the first the chances will be 5/6x(number of throws over 1)x1/6

If anyone cares, hte floor is now open.
  • Ok, here is another one.
    This one is for all of you sports fans who can count.

Imagen that there was 25 hours in the day instead of 24.
    Imagen that that every hour was 50 minutes and every minute was 50 seconds.
    Then what would the world record on 100 meter sprint (men) be?
  • Tim Montgomery sets the record at 9.78 seconds. Despite having 25 hours in a day and 50 minutes in an hour this would have no effect on the timing of the 100M sprint.

Good one, but not good enough. Who's crying now? :D
  • Unless you time it in minutes, then it would be 0.1956 minutes instead of 0.163

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion