PS3 network setup help
  • I am having very similar problems as the guy in this thread
    My router is a d-link dir-655, signal strength is 100% i know how to get to router settings, but im having trouble with the whole DHCP, set up of a custom IP address just for the PS3 stuff. I (like nbventerprises, although not to put him down or anything) really dont know about all this ip, mac adress, subnet mask stuff so help would be very much appreciated. Thanks. :)
  • ALSO, I dont have a WEP security thing so I dont know what to put for that either. PS: sorry, it seems as though this type of question is common, so your probably annoyed by another one of these, but i feel as though my case is slightly different.
  • Annoying?? If it was i probably would not have stuck with doing this for the past 8 years. :eek: (egads, that made me feel old).

If your WEP is not set up then you don't need to worry about that- you only need to fill that in on the PS3 settings if it is on in the router.

I should mention, I'm not big on the N routers as of yet as they are still using draft- level specifications so they may not work quite as well with things like the PS3 yet. The PS3 doesn't use N speeds, anyway- the router will drop back to using 802.11 G so you aren't gaining any sort of advantage.

Adding a specific IP address for your PS3 in the DHCP is very easy, actually- once you are into your router settings stay in the Setup tab and click the Network Settings button on the left side. If you scroll down a bit you should see that DHCP is enabled (there's a checkbox at the beginning of DHCP Server Settings- if this isn't checked please do so). Here's a photo to give you an idea of what to look for:

Now, just below that you should see some blanks saying the range of IP addresses going from to This is the leeway the router has for giving IP addresses to things going online, such as the PS3. You will need to use something in that range for the router to do its thing.

Next, scroll down a bit more and you will see a section called "Add DHCP Reservation"- this is the place to reserve an IP address for anything going online. Click the Enable box and enter a name in the Computer name blank (PlayStation 3 should do nicely). In the IP address blank you will need to put an IP address that is somewhere in the range shown up above- I suggest going somewhere in the middle to be sure you don't have a problem with it trying to give that to something else. should do.Finally, the PS3's MAC Address- think of this as the ID tag the router checks to make sure its who the PS3 says it is before handing over the IP. You can find the PS3's MAC Addres by going into the Settings menu on the PS3, down to System Settings and select System Information. Type in the series of letters and numbers just as it is shown, dashes and all.

Once you have this all in click the Save button just below and head back to the top to click the Save Settings button. Congrats, you've just reserved the PS3's IP Address! B) With that done you can now add that IP into the PS3's network settings. All of the other numbers can be found on the router's Status page- just click Status along the top. The router's IP is the one you use to get to the set up pages- everything else (subnet mask, DNS servers) is right on the Status page- copy them into the PS3 just as shown.

The one other thing you will likely have to do is the port forwarding. Again, this is actually somewhat easy to do, just a matter of knowing where to go. Click the Advanced button on top and then select Port Forwarding along the left. Here's a picture showing the spots to click highlighted as white:

You'll see the various blanks and menus here- no worries, you'll just need the top few. Start by checking the box to the left of the first row. In the Name blank, type in PlayStation 3. You can put the IP address of the PS3 in the blank below ( in my example above). Ignore Application Name- however, you should now be able to select the PlayStation 3 in the Computer Name menu.

You have no doubt seen me list these already from checking the other threads but anyhoo, these are the ports that Sony needs open for the PSN traffic:

* TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
    * UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070, and 50100

Just type the numbers in as they are shown up above in the respective blanks using the commas to separate each. With the 10700-10800, just type that in exactly as I do in the post. Leave the last two menus just as they are, showing "always" and "allow all". Click Save Settings on the top and your ports should now be open. Your PS3 shold now be able to get online and have worry-free gaming!

Occassionally when doing this sort of thing the router may need to be "power cycled", just in case the settings did not take right away. Just pull the power cord from it for a minute or so then plug it back in.
  • so far ive followed everything correctly, but not sure about the TCD and UDP ports. this is what i put for them:

in the TCP box: 80, 443, 5223, 10070 - 10080
    in the UDP box: 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070, 50100

Is it just like this, or am i missing something?

Also, when I hit save settings for the port stuff, it gave me this message:

"Ip address for ‘Playstation 3’ should be with LAN subnet ("

what did I do wrong? :(
  • The IP address blank should have the same IP you put into your settings in the DHCP client list. If you used the address i gave you for that you should put in that blank. As for the ports, yes- you put them in just like that.
  • The steps i take to put the info on the ps3 are:

1.Pick Easy for setting method

2.Then wireless for connection method.

3. For WLAN settings, i scan and find my router as the access point.

4. THIS ONE IM CONFUSED ABOUT. if i click none it gives me
    this error code: (8013013E) so to go on i usually just make up some random WEP and it moves me on to the next step. I dont know if WEP is on in he router or if i should turn it off.

5. For IP address setting i hit manual, I put the code you stated earlier for IP address, and the rest of the info like subnet and primary DNS i get from my router status section.

6. for the rest of the stuff i pick the top options.

7. I test my connection and it always fails

Just thought id let you know because im sure there are flaws in my method.
  • When you did your scan for the wireless it should have said beside the results if security was enabled and what type (if any). Part of your problem is stemming from this random WEP pass key you are putting in- it is either not matching or there is no security on in the first place.

Having looked around the emulator some more it seems this router does its encryption somewhat differently than most (yet another reason why it's best to wait on specs to be finalized before picking up the latest and greatest). This particular method is not supported by the PS3. You'll find it in the "Wi-Fi Protected Set Up" under the Advanced tab.

You most likely will have to turn off the encryption or, if you want/ need the encryption on, can put that IP address we set up earlier into the router's DMZ (demilitarized zone). This is in the Advanced tab as well- click on Firewall Settings and you will find it about 3/4 down the page. Check the "enable DMZ" box and put the IP address for the PS3 into the other blank, then click Save Settings.

Once that is done, enter the IP address you used in the DHCP settings of the router into the PS3 (go into manual instead of easy). The next page that comes up will have blanks for the default gateway (the router's IP address,, subnet mask ( along with the Primary and Secondary IP Addresses. You will find those on the Status page of the router.

Once all of this information is done try the connection test one more time. If it still fails you may want to consider returning that router for an 802.11 G model, which the PS3 will support with no problems.
  • well, it shows none for security, i dont really get what you were trying to tell me about "Wi-Fi Protected Set Up".

I did the DMZ stuff.

By this "IP address you used in the DHCP settings of the router into the PS3

...", did you mean this code:

By this "(go into manual instead of easy)"

did you mean go to custom instead?

For the IP address stuff this is what i am now doing:

IP address:

Subnet Mask: (for me on my status page it says, but ill just do what you say)

Default router:

Primary DNS: my own

Secondary DNS: my own

what should i do now?
  • Ok then- if it is showing None then do not put a WEP key in place- when it asks about encryption choose "none".

In the Advanced tab there is a spot called "Wi-Fi Protected Set Up". This is the router's encryption method. If you go in here and you see a check in the box that says to enable it, uncheck it and save the settings. If it isn't checked, just leave it alone and move on. B)

Yes, i did mean Custom there (sometimes i mix the terminology up a bit between the PS2 and PS3- my bad). Somewhat unusual for the subnet mask but if that is what the router says then go with it. The DNS Server addresses should be on that same page where you found the subnet mask. If by "my own" you mean the ones found there, great.

Now you can test your internet connection again and see if things have improved any.
  • alright i unchecked it and saved, but you never answered this:

"By this "IP address you used in the DHCP settings of the router into the PS3

...", did you mean this code:"

Well, so far theres still no luck. when i use custom it fails even faster lol. you think my only choice is getting a new router, or do you know what i can do? also, my computer is like right next to my little gaming area, so i think i can do a wired ethernet connection(I'd really rather not but if it gives me online i guess theres no other option besides spending some $$ on a new router), but im not sure how that works. What do you think?
  • Yes, i did mean use the IP address you set up in the router for the PS3. If you used the, then use that in the IP Address blank on the PS3. At this point all i can suggest (other than the new router) is go back through the router settings and make sure you have everything properly in place. Maybe the MAC Address you used in the DHCP Client List was wrong?

To be honest, i would say get a router that uses 802.11 G instead of N. The N routers do not seem to play as nice with the things that are not using that level of transfer. As i mentioned above, the 802.11 N router specs have not been finalized by those that regulate this sort of thing- manufacturers are going by what they think it will be. Unfortunately, this leads to some things not working as well as they should (in this case the backward compatibility to 802.11G for those machines that use it, like the PS3). Even if it did work you would have seen no difference in your speed as the router would go back to 802.11 G for the PS3- you spent extra cash for nothing.

Going wired would not make any difference if the settings will not work on the router. If you can't take that one back you should be able to sell it off privately on eBay and get most (if not all) of the money you put into a new router back.
  • OK, Thanks for all of this help. I guess it was all in vain, but I appreciate the effort you put in. :D