• Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but i'm having some trouble with my internet connection when playing fifa 2008, well the connection is fine, other games work on it fine, but with fifa whenever i start a match, within 10 seconds i get the message "connection with other player lost"
    Now i'm no techy or anything, but i thought it might be something to do with my net security? but i have no idea really, lol, some much needed advice would be appreciated, preferably written in dumb form so i can understand:p
    Thanks
  • Yep, you hit the right place, Berb. B)

It most likely is something slightly off in your security settings, such as needing to open certain ports in the router. Did you do anything like that when setting up things for the PS3? Also, what brand/ model of router do you have?
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Yep, you hit the right place, Berb. B)

It most likely is something slightly off in your security settings, such as needing to open certain ports in the router. Did you do anything like that when setting up things for the PS3? Also, what brand/ model of router do you have?

No i just did automatic everything :p

its a Netgear modem, like i said before im no techy but this is what it says on the back of it

"54Mbps Wireless ADSL Modem Router DG834G v3"

Its really frustrating me that i can log in, set up a game, both players sort out the team, kick off then bosh! Connection to other player is lost :O
  • Understandable- I've been there before trying to get connected with someone on games.

Part of the problem is to do port forwarding in the router, your PS3 will need a consistent IP address- we'll get you set up there first. This is done in the Advanced section of the router. If you go into the LAN IP Setup here you will find a bit called "Address Reservation". It looks like this (you'll see the reservation bit near the bottom):

Click the Add button then type the IP address you would like the PS3 to have in the first blank (i would suggest 192.168.0.10 to make sure it doesn't interfere with the computer or other devices you may have). You next have to put in the PS3's MAC Address- this is the PS3's 'Hi, my name is..." tag to the router. You'll find this on the PS3 by going into Settings, System Settings, System Information. Type this into the next blank just as shown on the tv. Click Apply when done to finish things off.

Now, if you like you can add that IP address into your PS3's settings (up to you on that, if you went auto that's fine too).

To take care of the port problem you will have to go into Services, in the Security section of the router. Click the Add button and you will see this:

You will need to name the service (PlayStation Network sounds good) as well as select the port type and specify the port numbers. These are the ports to do:

* TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, 6000 and 10070 - 10080
    * UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070, and 50100

For each one, enter in PlayStation Network as the name, choose the type (TCP or UDP, whichever is called for in the line above) and the start/ finish ports. Most are single ports so put the same number in both blanks. The only one that is a range is the TCP 10700 to 10800. As you complete each one click the Apply button to add them to the list (you may need to click the Add button every time after doing this to get back in). Once you have these all done you should have no more problems connecting to players.
  • looks complicated to do, but i'll give it my best shot and let you know how it goes, thanks
  • It's actually not that hard- just take your time and follow the path just as I laid it out and you'll be fine. B)