call of duty 4... need help bad....
  • When ever i try to join a server to play online i just end up sitting at the downloading settings page for hours and i never get past that, i am not sure whats wrong thought because 2 days ago my online worked great. Please help.
  • are you downloading anything and is your pc connected online ?
  • no and my pc is on another server, it just sits at the screen.....im going to get a new copy of it and see if that copy works, because i can play any other of my games online and they work great.
  • Activision themselves, recommend opening various ports in your router. These are:

UDP 20800
    UDP 20810
    UDP 28960

I myself have had this problem a couple of times however, what i did, is i waited it out for about a week before i tried to go back online on CoD4 and it was all sorted. Many people have just waited a few days and it's returned to normal, as i think the problem can lay in the CoD4 servers at times. So it's up to you which method you want to try..? We are always here to help if you have any more queries...:)
  • thank you for your help...i'll trade the game in and if tha version doesnt work i will then wait a few days to a week before trying to play again and see if it works then
  • Ok, good luck...:)

If you still cannot get it to work with the replacement copy, remember to come back here and we will help you to open the recommended ports to see if that works and go from there. We are also here for any other help queries you may have...;)
  • thanks your help is greatly appreciated. i'll defenitly let you know
  • hey rob, can you tell me how to open those ports, before i go out and buy the new game...thanks
  • That's done in your router's settings, braap. It's different from model to model. The wording is mostly similar, however. Once you are logged into the router settings on the computer go into the Advanced area of the router and look for "port forwarding" (some call it things like port triggering- same idea). You'll see the blanks to put the port numbers as well as choose the type and (in some cases) be able to choose the machine it's for. Check a box called Enable and ckick the save settings/ ok/ apply button.
  • another prob it could be if you running your connection on wifi is interference with the signal also if your running two or more ps3's in the same house in the same game can also lag up the server my brother in law was suffering the same fate as you are by waiting as you sad some times hours for a connection also have you downloaded tthe game updates from infinity ward
  • yes i have, i just sit there and stare at that screen which never changes.......im using wifi so i think things will be different for me to do, i only have one ps3 and the only cod4 update i dont have are the 4 maps i have to purchase, if that helps you know what im going through....thanks again
  • no probs mate and i no how frustraiting it is not being able to connect to cod4 and the constant dc's wen you do i dont think its a problem with your game disc maybe try a mates disc or even rent a copy from blockbuster before geting a new one to see if that is the problem p[ersonaly i just think its a connection problem try and hard wire your ps3 see if that makes a diffrence or try your other network that your pc is connected to if you connect strait away then i think it could be a modem or router problem
  • im just gonna trade in this disk for another, and if that doesnt work i'll try the other ways...i'll let you know what happens
  • Also having trouble with COD4, worked fine up until about a month ago. Since then it does the whole freeze thing. Tried my friends copy of the game and same thing happens. Seemed to start doing it soon after i changed to prestige mode and got the 4 maps, dont know if this has something to do with it. Weird thing is is that the normal (not online) multiplayer doesnt work either, that also freezes on loading screen. Whats that all about? Lew
  • i no the probs your expirencing and i have sufferd the same probs as my brother in law did as well altho i no longer have probs connecting nor me brother in law but we are expirencing wen trying to join a game is being put on a map on our own and some times waiting around 5 mins before others join i no on consolegaming.eu they are talking bout the same issues and the word is infinity ward is working on it
  • lewis69 said:
    Also having trouble with COD4, worked fine up until about a month ago. Since then it does the whole freeze thing. Tried my friends copy of the game and same thing happens. Seemed to start doing it soon after i changed to prestige mode and got the 4 maps, dont know if this has something to do with it. Weird thing is is that the normal (not online) multiplayer doesnt work either, that also freezes on loading screen. Whats that all about? Lew

Do you play any other online games? Do they work fine...?

Sounds like a problem with the disk to me if i'm honest, but if you've tried your friends disk too and the same thing happens, then i would suggest deleting the game data (not your saved data), in the game data utility folder under game. Delete this and then re-download the latest patch and see if it makes a difference.
  • Cheers Rob, will try deleting the game data, although we did try using a different console altogether and same online problems occured. Also going to try those patch codes mentioned earlier in the thread with the router. Other games work fine online, apart from the occasional freezing and host troubles at peak times, but thats expected. Thought it was a longterm cod4 server problem, but a friend can get online just using a vodafone mobile broadband modem. Will let you know how i get on.
  • i cna get on to online but i click quick match and click free for all and it just sits there saying getting match quality and searching for available games.. can anyone help?
  • Try opening the ports we've mentioned earlier in this thread. Chances are there is some problems with the internet settings on your side.
  • i dont no how to open ports. could u walk me threw it?
  • It's done in your router's settings, shadow. It's different from model to model. The wording is mostly similar, however. Once you are logged into the router settings on the computer go into the Advanced area of the router and look for "port forwarding" (some call it things like port triggering- same idea). You'll see the blanks to put the port numbers as well as choose the type and (in some cases) be able to choose the machine it's for. Check a box called Enable and ckick the save settings/ ok/ apply button.

Does this help...?
  • i have a ps3 and i love call of duty i have 4 and 5 and the one and only problem i have is getting all my friends into a private lobby so we can get our clan on the go no matter what we do it just will not work plz somebody must have an answer for me i am gonna go nuts if i cant get this working thank you very much......:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: