• :ph34r: so lemme get this straight.The ps2 plays cds,dvds,mp3s,ps1 games,ps2 games,cdr,and cdrw right? :ph34r:
  • As long as the MP3s are on cd then yes it will play all those. Anything else that you'd like to know about? Well, i hope that you enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • The PS2 will play MP3s as long as they are recorded on the CD as an audio CD-not as a data CD,which would let you hold much more.You will be limited to 74 minutes (or 80 depending on the CD-R/CD-RW blanks you buy) of playtime.

Other than that the PS2 plays PSOne games,PS2 games,DVD movies and audio CDs.

Hope this clears up some of the possible confusion.
  • Mine won't play audio CD-Rs. I've tried with a few and none of them work. Perhaps the PAL models are set not to play them? :(
  • That's possible Lola as i just retested my PS2 with a newer cd and it still plays it. I guess that PAL regions can't play burned cds. I'd still recommend trying to as maybe it's only certain PS2s. Well, i hope that you enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • From Lyndon,
    The PS2 will play MP3s as long as they are recorded on the CD as an audio CD-not as a data CD

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but writing an .mp3 file to a disk as audio converts them to .wav files, thereby taking up much more room. I was under the impression that .mp3 files could only be written to a disk in data CD format.
    As I said, correct me if I'm wrong.
  • The MP3s will be at the exact same quality as they were originally-just be sure to have the program you use to put the tunes on the CD (I prefer Musicmatch JukeBox) in audio CD format,or "Redbook".If you put the MP3s on as a data CD the PS2 would not read it correctly.
  • Well, in U/C regions the Q-tunes from Sony is being released on the same day as the network adapter. It is an MP3/Digital Audio player which using the NA will use the PS2 to play, manage and store music. The Q-tunes will retail at $49.99 and the NA will be $39.99 and all you need is dialup online connection. This is an easier way to play your MP3s on your PS2. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Is there any way i can get some updated drivers that will allow my ps2 to play video cd's? Because i am now converting all of my old home movies onto video cd's so the quality of them does not degrade any further than it has already. Can anyone help me, or will i have to buy another DVD/VCD player?
  • Unfortunately the only way to play VCDs is with a modchip and you already know how we feel about those. You may as well go the safe route and buy a DVD/VCD player. You should be able to get a low end one for around $100. Well, i hope that you enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Okay, thanks for clearing that up.