Netgear wgt624 help!
  • Lyndon:

I have a Netgear WGT624 v3 which is a 802.11 G router and I for the life of me cannot figure out how to make this damn thing work with my ps3 either. When the ps3 tells me there is updates it will download and install the updates but I cannot get on the network and play online. That just confuses the heck out of me how thats possible.

I have made a HDCP reservation for the ps3 and have manually installed its IP address but it won't work. For some reason my router won't give me DSN numbers so I made up my own is that right? Right now some of my router settings are as follows:

Internet IP Address
    * Get Dynamically from ISP (selected)

Use Static IP address (not selected)

DNS Address
    *Get Automatically from ISP (selected)

Use these DNS servers (not selected)

I do have WEP and in my router settings it has 4 key codes and only one of them is marked and that is the one I have been entering at the prompt is that correct as well?

I am very dumb when it comes to this stuff and any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • The coding you have in Key 1 is the one you want to give your PS3 to get past the WEP. To be honest, if you are serious about keeping your wireless network safe, you should use WPA instead- WEP is rather crude and useless. If you aren't worried about that sort of thing you could always just turn off the encryption. Your choice.

First thing I am going to do is direct you to this page. This is a guide to doing port forwarding on your router. Here are the ports that will need to be opened:

* TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
    * UDP Ports: 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070, and 50100

Just follow the instructions in that link and the port forwarding will go smoothly.

As for the custom IP address for the PS3, where on the router did you do this? Looking through the manual, the prper spot is called Address Reservation, found in the LAN IP Set Up. Also, what IP did you use?

Regarding the DNS Servers, you may need to contact your net provider to ask about those. Making up your own numbers there is part of the problem- these have to match as well when entering in manually. If they do ask what you need them for, be honest and tell them you are configuring some settings. If they do give them (and I can't see why not unless they are very picky about access sharing) it would be a good idea to put those numbers in the router as well for the DNS servers.
  • So far that has got me to a successful connection to the internet. Thank you. If I run into anymore issues I will be back here where you actually get good help that works!!!