PS3 Online - How do you connect!?
  • Hi i just got my PS3 a couple of weeks ago and i tried to set up the wireless connection. It was bought from Dubai, dont know if that has anything at all to do with the problems.
    When you initially try to set up the network it goes to the selection screen where u choose to set up with a wired or wireless connection...im using a wireless connection to my orange livebox. When it scans and goes to the signal strengths and all that it picks up my live box...then i enter the WEP key and all of that...then it asks if you want to enable proxy setttings and loads of other random things. i enable them all apart from that proxy thing.
    At the end of all of this it tests your connection...and this is where it fails to pick up my IP address from my Livebox.
    I dont understand why this is happening...can somebody help mee!! :confused:
  • Did you press the 1 button on the Livebox to put it into pairing mode so that the PS3 and Livebox would do their communicating?
  • nope =S when do i have to do it? i was thinking about that when i was setting it up becuase when my bro uses his laptop and wants to connect to the net he asks me to do that..so at what stage do i have to press the 1 button..and should i keep my computer on for this process?
  • Push the button first and then go through the set up on the PS3- the Orangebox will stay in the pairing mode for about 10 minutes, which should give you plenty of time to get the settings as they should be on the PS3.
  • thanks that pairing thing triggered it off...but still a problem unfortunatly...
    ok so ive gone through manual set up instead and its found my ip address finally, but internet connection test fails...it says it is a DNS error during connection with the server...code 80710102...where do i go from here :(
  • You may have entered some of the settings in wrong. Try and enter as many of the connection settings (DNS Servers, IP Address etc) in manually, if possible. Once you're sure they're all correct try connecting again and the problem should be solved.:)
  • thanks again ive entered in as much as i can manually and i still have problems!
    hmm yeah ive done all of that...all 5 of them...i checked all that on my livebox system config...theres 5 of them that u can enter manually, and the only one i couldnt find was the default router IP. On the livebox system configuration the only mention of router is a UPnP router table...and then there are two protocols, one is 'tcp' and the other is udp', which address of these two protocols do i choose to input into the PS3?
    Another thing that can be entered manually is the MTU, what is this and where can i find this out?
    many thanks for your time.
  • Rob C STAFF said:
    You may have entered some of the settings in wrong. Try and enter as many of the connection settings (DNS Servers, IP Address etc) in manually, if possible. Once you're sure they're all correct try connecting again and the problem should be solved.:)

thanks again ive entered in as much as i can manually and i still have problems!
    hmm yeah ive done all of that...all 5 of them...i checked all that on my livebox system config...theres 5 of them that u can enter manually, and the only one i couldnt find was the default router IP. On the livebox system configuration the only mention of router is a UPnP router table...and then there are two protocols, one is 'tcp' and the other is udp', which address of these two protocols do i choose to input into the PS3?
    Another thing that can be entered manually is the MTU, what is this and where can i find this out?
    many thanks for your time.
  • The DNS numbers you want should be the first two as they would be the primary and Secondary DNS Servers. That is the main cause of that particular error number you mentioned above.

That router table is where you would configure the port forwarding for the PS3- I've listed the ports needed for the PlayStation network in a number of threads in this section so they should be easy to find. ;)

As for the "router IP", considering the livebox also acts as a router the Ip address for it would be the router IP.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    The DNS numbers you want should be the first two as they would be the primary and Secondary DNS Servers. That is the main cause of that particular error number you mentioned above.

That router table is where you would configure the port forwarding for the PS3- I've listed the ports needed for the PlayStation network in a number of threads in this section so they should be easy to find. ;)

As for the "router IP", considering the livebox also acts as a router the Ip address for it would be the router IP.

Thanks once again but there still seems to be a problem.
    I can confirm that i have definately used the correct primary and secondary DNS server numbers, yet when running a connection test, the server IP test succeeds, but the internet connection test fails, once again showing that same error code. Just want to confirm the 5 things i have to manually enter to ensure i am inputting the correct data:

IP - Im guessing i dont have to change this as it says it has found my server IP
    Subnet mask - these figures were already set but i confirm they are the same as what i have found on my livebox config
    Defualt router - This, you say, should be the same as the IP since the livebox acts as a router
    Primary and Secondary DNS - Which is where the fault is, but i have inputted the exact numbers i see on my livebox config, which i have checked many times.

Do you know where else the problem could lie? Or is there an alternative way to set up a wireless networking?
  • Hmm, if the numbers are all correct it may be time for a quick power cycle- just unplug the livebox for around a minute and then power it back up again. Once it's powered back up, try and connect on your PS3 yet again.

The power cycle should free up any problems your PS3 may be having with the DNS Server settings. A power cycle has worked for me in the past.:)
  • Rob C STAFF said:
    Hmm, if the numbers are all correct it may be time for a quick power cycle- just unplug the livebox for around a minute and then power it back up again. Once it's powered back up, try and connect on your PS3 yet again.

The power cycle should free up any problems your PS3 may be having with the DNS Server settings. A power cycle has worked for me in the past.:)

Could it by any chance be something lame like...i should have entered the letters in the WEP key in capitals!? I deserve a slap if you say yes lol :eek:
    And thanks ill try that and get back to you.
  • Just enter the WEP Key as you have it- if it's written in capital letters enter them in capitals, same with lower case letters.
  • Rob C STAFF said:
    Hmm, if the numbers are all correct it may be time for a quick power cycle- just unplug the livebox for around a minute and then power it back up again. Once it's powered back up, try and connect on your PS3 yet again.

80710A03 - Connection Failed...thats the latest error message after making the WEP key all upper case and resetting my livebox!
  • Rob C STAFF said:
    Just enter the WEP Key as you have it- if it's written in capital letters enter them in capitals, same with lower case letters.

and that error message?
  • Hmm, a search on that error code confirmed it was a problem with your router settings. It also turns out that it could be a closed port that the PS3 needs, or more likely in your case, your PC's firewall is blocking the PS3.

Have you set-up your firewall in any way that it would block your PS3...?
  • Rob C STAFF said:
    Hmm, a search on that error code confirmed it was a problem with your router settings. It also turns out that it could be a closed port that the PS3 needs, or more likely in your case, your PC's firewall is blocking the PS3.

Have you set-up your firewall in any way that it would block your PS3...?

not that i know of no. how would i be able to check or alter these settings?
  • would changing the security of the firewall on the livebox do anything? my firewall is currently norton 360, where would i check or alter the settings should that be the problem?
  • There's a much easier way, putting your PS3 in the routers DMZ. If i remember correctly this is done in your router's settings, you should find it in the advanced tab, under Firewall settings.
  • Rob C STAFF said:
    There's a much easier way, putting your PS3 in the routers DMZ. If i remember correctly this is done in your router's settings, you should find it in the advanced tab, under Firewall settings.

Ahh i cant specifically put something into he routers DMZ becuase i dont know how or i am not able to. However i am able to 'configure DMZ on this computer'. Is there anything more specific i need to do or is that it?
  • Follow the instructions in Lyn's 2nd post here; PS3 Connection Help

What you'll need to do is follow the instructions and set up a static IP Address for your PS3. Set it to something like '192.168.100' or something similar (make sure the last number is say above 99).

When you have done this and reserved it, enter the new IP Address into your PS3. Then turn everything off, and then in your router's settings put this IP Address into the router's DMZ. Turn everything back on and try and connect. Simple...;)
  • ok so ive done the DMZ on my computer which is the main computer that the livebox is connected to. it says that all ports are now open. in the security settings of the livebox, the ps3s device address is showing but no name. it didnt show anything before so its an improvement i guess. on the down side, internet connection has failed yet again. the livebox is in pairing mode, which is why it has found it as an assosciated device i guess, but it is showing error message 80710102 again for some reason :huh:
  • Rob C STAFF said:
    Follow the instructions in Lyn's 2nd post here; PS3 Connection Help

What you'll need to do is follow the instructions and set up a static IP Address for your PS3. Set it to something like '192.168.100' or something similar (make sure the last number is say above 99).

When you have done this and reserved it, enter the new IP Address into your PS3. Then turn everything off, and then in your router's settings put this IP Address into the router's DMZ. Turn everything back on and try and connect. Simple...;)

Sorry bout the last post didnt see it there.
    hmm so currently it runs from 192.168.1.9 to 200, do i change the 9 to 99 ? i dont think you can add a DHCP Reservation on the Livebox settings. i can do port forwarding though, NAT, if that has anything to do with it!
  • do i change my LAN IP Address? :confused:
    I am getting a bit lost on this, not quite sure what im meant to do when you told me to look at Lyn's post.
  • Ive tried to do what you said but i dont know if ive done the right thing.

I have changed my IP address to 192.168.1.100 < is that the one thats meant to be over 99 right?
    And then I have changed the IP address upon manual settings on the set up for the network. The default router has too been changed to the above IP address. Everything else remains the same on the Livebox system configuration so i have left it the same. Dont know what im meant to do from here on.

The IP address on the system info of the PS3 matches the IP of the LAN.

I have changed the DHCP start address to 100 and end address to 199..not sure if i was actually meant to do that. The only thing that im sure i cant actually do, is input an address of some sort into the DMZ, i really cant see anywhere to put that in the Livebox settings.

Thanks for the help so far.
  • No, sorry the static IP Address needs to be set to anything under 9 or over 200. So, i mean 192.168.1.201 would be fine. If you could do that again, that would be great. Sorry for the confusion.

You also need to set your firewall settings to low in your Livebox. Go to Security> Firewall> Select Low to do this. Remember to access your router's config page, type in 192.168.1.1 into your browser.

Right, once you have done all of this, you now need to put it in the router's DMZ. This can be found, in your livebox, under Configuration> Advanced> Router> DMZ set-up. Now, click on the 'Configure DMZ on this Computer' button. Enter the static IP Address you made into the DMZ and click 'Configure DMZ on this Computer'. It should now say the DMZ has been enabled.

Turn everything off, and then back on- now add the Static IP Address into your PS3 and make sure all the numbers are correct (the default router i've explained below), try connecting again.

Your PS3 should now, finger's crossed, connect. As there are no port issues or security reasons that would stop it from connecting.

**You do not have to change the default router to you're static IP Address, that should be your router's internal IP Address. This can be found on your PC, by hitting Start, Run, CMD (hit enter), type ipconfig and hit enter, look for the default gateway and use this as your default router number.
  • Rob C STAFF said:
    No, sorry the static IP Address needs to be set to anything under 9 or over 200. So, i mean 192.168.1.201 would be fine. If you could do that again, that would be great. Sorry for the confusion.

You also need to set your firewall settings to low in your Livebox. Go to Security> Firewall> Select Low to do this. Remember to access your router's config page, type in 192.168.1.1 into your browser.

Right, once you have done all of this, you now need to put it in the router's DMZ. This can be found, in your livebox, under Configuration> Advanced> Router> DMZ set-up. Now, click on the 'Configure DMZ on this Computer' button. Enter the static IP Address you made into the DMZ and click 'Configure DMZ on this Computer'. It should now say the DMZ has been enabled.

Turn everything off, and then back on- now add the Static IP Address into your PS3 and make sure all the numbers are correct (the default router i've explained below), try connecting again.

Your PS3 should now, finger's crossed, connect. As there are no port issues or security reasons that would stop it from connecting.

**You do not have to change the default router to you're static IP Address, that should be your router's internal IP Address. This can be found on your PC, by hitting Start, Run, CMD (hit enter), type ipconfig and hit enter, look for the default gateway and use this as your default router number.

Ok thanks thats cleared most of it up, and i understand how to do that DMZ stuff now. I understand how to do everything now apart from this static IP address. I dont get where and how to set this up. Could you run me through where and how to do this please? That would be great help!
    Thanks again for the reply.

*By the way, when i do the IP config, three things show, the IP address, the Subnet Mask, and the Default Gateway. Are the IP Address and Default Gateway meant to be different ?

Or is the IP Address my computer IP address, i need not worry about that in that case.
  • Rob has that a bit backward there in regards to the IP address range (192.168.1.9 to 200). Any custom IP address you set should be between that range- if you went with 192.168.1.99 you would be fine.

Do not put your computer's IP address in the IP Address blank- that will cause a conflict and keep you offline. For IP Address put the one you are setting up for the PS3 (in my example above the 192.168.1.99). Subnet mask should be 255.255.25.0 but you may want to check in the livebox settings just to be sure. You should find the default gateway Ip on the same page as the subnet mask.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Rob has that a bit backward there in regards to the IP address range (192.168.1.9 to 200). Any custom IP address you set should be between that range- if you went with 192.168.1.99 you would be fine.

Do not put your computer's IP address in the IP Address blank- that will cause a conflict and keep you offline. For IP Address put the one you are setting up for the PS3 (in my example above the 192.168.1.99). Subnet mask should be 255.255.25.0 but you may want to check in the livebox settings just to be sure. You should find the default gateway Ip on the same page as the subnet mask.

lol thanks! i wasnt sure about that because i saw that in one of your other posts. but how do you go about setting a static IP address and where do you do it?
    Many thanks.
  • I've been trying to find a manual online for this thing to look for instructions but haven't had much luck yet (the orangebox is not used over here in North America).

I did find some settings to doublecheck- the Orangebox site says the DNS server numbers to use are 195.92.195.94 and 195.92.195.95.

As for the custom IP address, I'm not entirely sure if you can directly on the Orangebox. Look for a spot in the settings talking about the DHCP Client. In most routers there is a spot to click around here to reserve an IP address. You would need to get the PS3's MAC Address, found in Settings>System Settings>System Information on the PS3.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    I've been trying to find a manual online for this thing to look for instructions but haven't had much luck yet (the orangebox is not used over here in North America).

I did find some settings to doublecheck- the Orangebox site says the DNS server numbers to use are 195.92.195.94 and 195.92.195.95.

As for the custom IP address, I'm not entirely sure if you can directly on the Orangebox. Look for a spot in the settings talking about the DHCP Client. In most routers there is a spot to click around here to reserve an IP address. You would need to get the PS3's MAC Address, found in Settings>System Settings>System Information on the PS3.

Thanks for looking.
    The DNS numbers on my Orange Livebox System Settings differ to those you have stated. Should i input the Primary and Secondary DNS numbers on my PS3 as the ones that show on the Livebox System Settings, or should i use the ones you have found?
    Also, the only mention of DHCP i can find in the Livebox Configuration is the DHCP start and end address'. Can't find anywhere to reserve an IP in any of the settings.
  • Those are numbers I found on the orange site in instructions for putting the PS2 online- they should work here as well. I would give them a shot and if it doesn't work it's no biggie to change back.

It is possible the orangebox doesn't have a static IP client list- if that is the case you may have to stick to going automatic for getting the IP (which would mean getting rid of the custom Ip set on the PS3) or consider using the orangebox just for its modem capability and use a separate router to handle the connection sharing.
  • Hmmm, maybe you can't set up a Static IP Address on the Livebox...? If it's not in the usual place, like Lyn explained in my previous link, then setting one up with the Livebox must not be an option...:confused:

The only other alternative to putting your PS3 in the Livebox's DMZ would be to set your firewall to Low. But this may still cause you problems.

Other than that, i do highly recommend, like Lyn said, getting a router to do the connection sharing. It makes thing's a whole lot easier, and would save you from a lot of problems...;)