Most Anticipated of Autumn/ Fall 2008...
  • Here we are, just like every year, facing a surge of top titles set for release in the space of a couple of months...:D Considering the strain this may have on your wallets ;), which 5 games (or less) are you most looking forward to in the next few months...?

For me, in no particular order:

- Fallout 3
    - Resistance 2
    - LittleBigPlanet
    - Motorstorm: Pacific Rift
    - Call of Duty 5: World at War

**Among many others!

Hit us with your lists guys. Let's get a little bit of hype going...;)
  • LittleBigPlanet has gone from being Top 5 to #1 overall for me; there's a lot of other great stuff coming out, but it's probably the one title that I'll have to grab on release, and then wait and see how addictive it becomes before I decide on when I'll pick up other stuff, like Resistance 2. If LBP ends up being the all-encompassing time-sucker that I expect it to be, it might just the thing to keep me occupied enough that I can wait on the other games until X-mas!
  • LittleBigPlanet is #1 non sports game for me.
  • sportsgamer3 said:
    LittleBigPlanet is #1 non sports game for me.

Does this mean there's a sports game that's a bigger release for you than LBP? 'Cuz to be honest, I can't think of one - admittedly, I'm not huge into sports games (other than Madden), but I can't think of any huge sports titles coming out that are doing "new" stuff on the level of LBP's creativity. Good franchises, yes - but it seems like this year is a lot of "more of the same" for sports titles.
  • MasterofTerasKasi said:
    Does this mean there's a sports game that's a bigger release for you than LBP? 'Cuz to be honest, I can't think of one - admittedly, I'm not huge into sports games (other than Madden), but I can't think of any huge sports titles coming out that are doing "new" stuff on the level of LBP's creativity. Good franchises, yes - but it seems like this year is a lot of "more of the same" for sports titles.

It is not that they are bigger releases but I am such an NBA nut that I go crazy when the games get released. NBA 09 the inside and nba 2k are going to be bought for me as soon as I get out of work. 2k is so realistic and 09 has such great features that I can not wait until 5!
  • sportsgamer3 said:
    It is not that they are bigger releases but I am such an NBA nut that I go crazy when the games get released. NBA 09 the inside and nba 2k are going to be bought for me as soon as I get out of work. 2k is so realistic and 09 has such great features that I can not wait until 5!

I guess that's the difference for me; it's hard for me to get as "amped" about a game that's just another sequel, and with sports games, it's almost always a "sequel" in the form of a roster update. Yes, maybe they get some graphical enhancements, but it's rare that a sports franchise manages to do something really "new". That's not to say that it never happens - even though I didn't care for it, Madden's completely different control scheme on the Wii would be considered something majorly "new" to me - but those special kind of sports games are few and far between. It's kind of like the Call of Duty franchise - how many times can I play what is essentially the same title?

I guess whether it's a sports game, an FPS or a platformer, I value true originality over pretty much everything else, and that's why I'm so interested in LBP - it seems to be one of those rare games that's actually doing something really unique and different. I hope it lives up to the promise!
  • MasterofTerasKasi said:
    I guess that's the difference for me; it's hard for me to get as "amped" about a game that's just another sequel, and with sports games, it's almost always a "sequel" in the form of a roster update. Yes, maybe they get some graphical enhancements, but it's rare that a sports franchise manages to do something really "new". That's not to say that it never happens - even though I didn't care for it, Madden's completely different control scheme on the Wii would be considered something majorly "new" to me - but those special kind of sports games are few and far between. It's kind of like the Call of Duty franchise - how many times can I play what is essentially the same title?

I guess whether it's a sports game, an FPS or a platformer, I value true originality over pretty much everything else, and that's why I'm so interested in LBP - it seems to be one of those rare games that's actually doing something really unique and different. I hope it lives up to the promise!

I know what you mean, this year the sony game is coming out with a RPG mode for the NBA game. Which is the first time that will be out on a next gen system. They have made amazing progressions in the MLB series so that is the thing I am really excited over. But I agree that LBP is doing things that are just amazing.
  • sportsgamer3 said:
    I know what you mean, this year the sony game is coming out with a RPG mode for the NBA game. Which is the first time that will be out on a next gen system. They have made amazing progressions in the MLB series so that is the thing I am really excited over. But I agree that LBP is doing things that are just amazing.

Ok, I'll bite - "RPG mode"? How do you cross-breed an RPG with a basketball game? I haven't heard of that before; sounds like an odd cross of genres?

As for LBP, that's what I'm enjoying about it - it's classified as a platformer, but the whole "create your own level" aspect sort of makes it cross all genres. It seems to have the tools to let you make whatever genre game you want?

Like an LBP basketball title, perhaps? Now that would be fun to try and build... I wonder if it's possible?
  • Ok, I'll bite - "RPG mode"? How do you cross-breed an RPG with a basketball game? I haven't heard of that before; sounds like an odd cross of genres?

Quite easily. Features such as level progression and levelling up your players skills can be considered RPG-like. When you think about it features such as these are easily added into sports game (create a player modes etc) and it has been done a lot in recent years.