Playstation 2 Modem
  • Does anyone know anything about the modem that they are supposed to be bringing out???
  • We have covered this in a few threads around the forum already but here it is:

The network adaptor is due to be out August 27 and attatches to the back of the PS2 via the expansion port on the back.There are seperate jacks for both dial up and broadband (cable,DSL,etc.) users.The adaptor comes with a start up disc that includes sign up with various ISPs,a demo disc with playables of various games with online built in and a mail-in coupon for a free Twisted Metal:Black Online game (which must be mailed in by December 31).The set up data only takes a small bit of memory on the card (I think 137 kb,I recall seeing this in a news story about it).The retail price is approx. $39.99 US.

I think that covers just about everything-if I did miss any details I'm sure someone will gladly fill them in.
    :D
  • I've never really understood what this 'Network Adapter' is. You say there is seperate jacks for dial-up and broadband, does that mean I just have to plug my phone line into the appropriate one and i'm set?
  • Yep, if you are hooking up for the Dial-up connection.
  • Basically it's a 56k modem and ethernet adaptor all in one.The jacks are plainly marked as to which one is which so there should be no problems with mixups.If you have a dial up connection use the phone jack-if you are lucky enough to have a cable or DSL internet connection use the ethernet.
  • With the network adapter and the hard drive attached to the PS2 can you still have the PS2 vertical or must it be horizontal?

Thank you for your time.
  • You can have your PS2 in any direction you'd like to have it. Actually, the HDD isn't going to be released at this time. The HDD is not required to be connected to use the network adapter as was originally planned so no worries there. Well, i hopwe that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • I was wonderin could i take the 2 memory cards that i have and use one for dail up and one for broadband, because i don't have broadband but my aunt does and i was wonderin if i could hook my PS2 up at her house and play games like SOCOM that require broadband.
  • network adapter HA what a joke,
    if u wanna use broadband at your aunts house u may have to change the data on your memory card to allow the PS2 to know that you are setting up a broadband connection. You may also have to input extra data such as I.P address an DNS information. you will also need a HUB in order to connect to that broad band connection if you are connected thru DSL or cable modem, unless you aunt's house come broadband ready.

but why go thru all that trouble
    buy an xbox an play me in some Halo, Moto GP, Nascar, Madden an nfl 2k3 right now.
  • Ok, let's assume I have ADSL, I buy the network adapter, does this 'Ethernet' thing have to connect to an ADSL modem, or straight into the phone line like a 56k?

Sorry, I know i'm a little slow, but I don't know what they look like so it's kinda hard to imagine. :huh:

Oh, and Rican_Havock, why would I go through all that trouble when I can buy an X-box? Let's see...
    #1 X-box is limited to broadband. Not everyone can afford broadband and I doubt anyone is going to get it purely to play X-box. With a PS2, even the average joe with thier 56k connection can play.
    #2 If i'm not mistaken, the X-box Live service costs money (I think it's like AU$50 per year, I can't remember exactly). SONY's online service is free.
    Of course, the network adapter costs money too, but it's a one-time only payment, and at least SONY don't make you pay AU$50 just to play DVD's.

So really, is buying a network adapter really any 'trouble' as opposed to getting cable installed (there's around AU$400 down the toilet) and paying an annual fee to be able to play? I think not. :)
  • The line going out of your ADSL modem plugs into the ethernet jack on the adaptor,just as it does into your computer.

Stonewall,I think that should work having the seperate memory cards for use at home and at your aunt's house.You may have to go there to do the initial set up for it to get some of the information,as Rican suggests.Also,if people do not want the 'net connection to their computer disrupted may want to look into a router (or if in different rooms even a wireless network).
    The same would be true for any system going online.
  • Yeah, i don't like the way the Xbox does it either....First up Xbox Live is released on November 15th. It's price is $49.99 and this includes the Communicator, some demos, and 1 year subscription to the service. Then every year the fee is planned to be down to $29.99 but the fact that you have to pay is what i don't like....I'd much rather pay $39.99 once, hook it up in about 5 minutes, set it all up in about 5 more minutes, and be playing in at least 15 minutes.....And the big thing is that i won't be paying a fee unless there's a game that requires it....but then i have a choice. So i don't know why anyone would go for an Xbox just for their online plan....because to me it's a terrible one. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • ok let see the facts
    PS2
    network adaptor-40 bucks
    ISP-10 bucks to 20 bucks
    Compatible games- 50 to 60 bucks(providing that u have boardband to suppot some of them)
    Games that require a fee to play online(final fantasyXI)-10 bucks

total spendings
    110-130 bucks

XBOX
    Network adapator - 0 bucks (built in broadband)
    ISP-XBOX LIVE-50 bucks to play any game for a year, after that the price is still pending according to microsoft. (but u can play xbox game ONLINE NOW with xbox connect or gamespy IE. HALO Nascar, Moto GP, NFL Fever2003.)
    Compatible games-50 bucks

total spending
    100 bucks (even less cause i am playing HALO right nowONLINE with out XBOX LIVE so 50 bucks)

so as u can see I am enjoying the Online exprience right now with out shelling out cash for an add on( an in the history of video games ADD ON's don't sell well)

I will still get the PS2 net adaptor (Gran Turismo online :D )
    but for now i don't see how Sony's online plan is gonna take off.
  • Ok, so i feel like going online so which to get....sure you can pay the 49.99 for Xbox Live and pay/year or i can spend $39.99 and spend nothing other than on games. Thinking about it this way....Which is better? Say you play online games for 5 years.....You spent $250 just on fees on Xbox Live while i have paid $39.99 plus whatever miscellaneous fees come up(which are my choice). And i would be paying for my ISP......which you pay for to use the internet anyway. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • Originally posted by Rican_Havock@Aug 20 2002, 07:26 PM
    ok let see the facts
    PS2
    network adaptor-40 bucks
    ISP-10 bucks to 20 bucks
    Compatible games- 50 to 60 bucks(providing that u have boardband to suppot some of them)
    Games that require a fee to play online(final fantasyXI)-10 bucks

total spendings
    110-130 bucks

XBOX
    Network adapator - 0 bucks (built in broadband)
    ISP-XBOX LIVE-50 bucks to play any game for a year, after that the price is still pending according to microsoft. (but u can play xbox game ONLINE NOW with xbox connect or gamespy IE. HALO Nascar, Moto GP, NFL Fever2003.)
    Compatible games-50 bucks

total spending
    100 bucks (even less cause i am playing HALO right nowONLINE with out XBOX LIVE so 50 bucks)

so as u can see I am enjoying the Online exprience right now with out shelling out cash for an add on( an in the history of video games ADD ON's don't sell well)

I will still get the PS2 net adaptor (Gran Turismo online :D )
    but for now i don't see how Sony's online plan is gonna take off.

Are you saying that when an X-Box gamer pay the X-Box Live fee that is also an year of Broad Band internet connection? I was under the impression from what I have read that you had to have an internet connection on top of the X-Box Live fee's.
  • You do, you have to have a broadband connection to even think about using the Xbox Live online services this November 15th(U/C launch). No narrowband services will be available for Xbox Live so no use trying. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • What if i have ISDN.

Would that go into the ethernet spot.
  • You got it gabriel-just plug into the ethernet jack,do a quick bit of set up (which from most reports I've seen is very easily done) and you should be good to go! B)
  • Will set-up be different for us UK-dwellers? Or will we have to pay extra fee?
  • Haven't seen anything regarding the UK/European launch as of yet.However,it is probably a safe bet that they will go with the same plan as they have in the other regions.
  • My NA setup was painless and very easy (I live in Canada). It took only 15-20 min to pull off. Man is SOCOM kick as*