External Hard Drive Problem
  • I safely removed the hardware on my computer so I could eject my hard drive from the USB port. I plugged it into my Playstation 3 to stream my movies I had saved on the hard drive, I went to plug it back into my computer, to my surprise the hard drive no longer works. When I plug it into my computer, my computer basically freezes. The drive won't come up, but it still works with my Playstation 3. I know the drive works, otherwise the PS3 wouldn't read it, I'm just wondering why it won't work with my computer. I made sure the USB cable worked, as well as the power supply, and both checked out. My computer just won't recognize my hard drive anymore.

When I say it freezes, what I mean is when the USB is connected from the hard drive to my computer, my entire system just stops working entirely. Everything freezes, every single program, it won't allow me to open anything. This happens on both my laptop and my desktop. When I unplug the USB though, everything works properly again. No error messages pop up or anything. Yet, when I insert the USB to my computer, things just start to freeze. It didn't start doing this until I hooked it up to my PS3. Sometimes the drive won't show up when it's connected and my computer will work fine, other times the drive will be read but it's loaded as "Local Disk (E)" but I can't access it, and other times (majority of the time) my computer just freezes. I'd imagine the PS3 installed some sort of driver that disabled my computer from reading it. Any advice to fix this problem?

I've been dealing with this for two weeks now. It's stressful. Hopefully I came to the right place. :(
  • The PS3 wouldn't inatall any sort of driver onto the drive but it would have something in its own system to let it use the drive.

I think the problem is in the driver your computer is using. You may want to try removing that and do a re-install.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    The PS3 wouldn't inatall any sort of driver onto the drive but it would have something in its own system to let it use the drive.

I think the problem is in the driver your computer is using. You may want to try removing that and do a re-install.

How would I go about doing that? The process?
  • Actually, you should head to the hard drive manufacturer's site and see if they have any sort of updated drivers for your particular flavor of computer OS- if they do that will install on top of the current driver and replace it. If nothing is there you may want to contact the manufacturer's tech suport to troubleshoot the drive- this is more a PC thing than PS3.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Actually, you should head to the hard drive manufacturer's site and see if they have any sort of updated drivers for your particular flavor of computer OS- if they do that will install on top of the current driver and replace it. If nothing is there you may want to contact the manufacturer's tech suport to troubleshoot the drive- this is more a PC thing than PS3.

That's odd. I contacted the manufacturer and they told me to e-mail Sony about the problem.
  • If I reformatted my computer to default factory settings, could that have any effect?