• Just read that in the USA there will be no web browser software included in the $40 Network Adapter package. Is this true? I would personally like to browse the web using my ps2 when we here in the uk EVENTUALLY get online lol. I would even buy a USB keyboard, so i can type messages to fellow gamers.
    I currently browse web using my digital tv service from ntl but it is not very good. only certain sites work on it.

What exactly do you get for your $40 in the Network Adapter pack? How does gaming online work? Do you have to pay a monthly subscription fee to an ISP?

I would be very grateful for answers to these questions. Thank You.
  • I think that they may be bringing out a second package sometime soon if that is the case. I dont know 4 sure but maybe the software is already installed in your ps2. otherwise it may be another way for sony to make money by selling the software for $20 or $10 but im not to sure

Ill do a bit of research and ill try 2 find out
  • I think there is currently a Linux kit available for the PS2. Will email ya a website to check this out. Anyone else who wants the info/site, please PM me.
  • Originally posted by speediebeenie@Sep 29 2002, 02:10 AM
    I think there is currently a Linux kit available for the PS2. Will email ya a website to check this out. Anyone else who wants the info/site, please PM me.

MMMMMMMM, Linux.Thats Finnish you know.
    Thank god i traded my Windows for that.

Doesnt the kit include the network adapter,Red Hat Linux 6,2(the software),A USB mouse+keyboard and a hard drive.

Thats what i remembered reading about it.
  • For the $40 you get the adaptor,a demo disc,a start up disc to assist in setting up for your choice of ISP and a mail-in coupon for a free Twisted Metal:Black Online.You do still have to pay your ISP but it is a relatively simple matter to share the connection.For the time being,however,there are no subscription fees to actually play. B)

The main reason for the browser not being out is due to the PS2 hard drive not being out yet-you'd have to store it someplace and I doubt a memory card could hold it.Maybe when the hard drive is released on its own (or if) then a browser will be put out there-Sony had been talking about a custom version of Netscape early into the adaptor/hard drive news.
  • You're right about there being a Linux Kit, which you can purchase for $199 and it includes a HDD, ethernet adapter, Linux(but not sure which version), you'll need a MC setup only for Linux. The HDD cannot be used for anything other than Linux as that's all it's setup for so it won't work with any games. This kit should only be bought though if you're semi-serious about creating games of your own. Just to let you all know, December 31st is the last day that you can mail in for your free copy of TMB:Online. Subscription fees will be charged for some games(ie. EverQuest) but right now it's free and many will continue to be free when they're released....we'll see. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.