• I was playing a game of Madden today and all of a sudden my controller just shut off and I can't turn it back on.

Just some details on where I play my PS3 at is that it's in my room(upstairs) in a very badly ventalated area(It was 59 degrees F in my room at that time). Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not just giving you as much detail as possible.

I've tried it with the cord connected and with wireless and it won't work either way.
  • 59 F would actually be a good temperature to have to help the PS3 keep its cool. It shouldn't affect the controller at all.

When you plug in the controller via the cable do the lights on top flash? You may just need to leave it a few hours to recharge.
  • No, nothing happens. I hit the PS button and nothing lights up or anything. I'll try letting it charge.
  • Question: When the PS3 is off, is the controller charging? Or does it only charge when the console is on?
  • The controller will only charge when there is power going to the PS3, so yes it needs to be switched on.

A pad should charge from flat to full in about 45 mins.
  • Ok, I'll see if it works.
  • What he said. :p

As long as you leave the system in stand by (red light on) the controller will still charge. If you have the master switch on the back off, no power at all is getting to it.
  • Ok, thanks guys. I'll get back to you in a few...
  • Hmm, it's still not working.
  • Are the lights flashing on top? If so, leave it be until they stop- they'll stop flashing when the battery is fully charged.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Are the lights flashing on top? If so, leave it be until they stop- they'll stop flashing when the battery is fully charged.

No. Nothing lights up, flashes, or anything.
  • Ok- if nothing lights up then something may have happened to the battery connection inside. You can open the controller by removing the screws (mini star screwdriver) and carefully pull out the insides. Yes, it is ok- Sony gave instructions for removing the battery from the controller with the system in case you needed to replace it.

If this sounds a bit iffy, the next suggestion would be to contact Sony- if you're still under waranty they should have no problems replacing the controller.