• Hi, this is my first post/thread here, but i'm basically losing my mind trying to solve this one and would greatly appreciate any help

Basically it's a hardware problem, though i don't know especifically where it is,
    I have already cleaned the lens to see if it could work but i knew all along it really wouldn't and basically i'm just trying to see if there's an easy fix to this or if i have to buy spare parts

You see, the problem isn't the laser, it ocurrs even before i have inserted a CD/DVD, the video simply starts to distort, at first it's ok, and then right when you can see the PS logo (after a couple of seconds) or the main menu it starts to get fuzzy, doesn't matter wheter i'm playing a game or not and besides, if i play a DVD i have no problem whatsoever

For example i have the special edition of God of War 2 which includes a DVD with extras, this one i can play and do whatever i want, but with the CD is another story, i can just get a couple of "good" seconds and then video fails, with sound remaining unaltered all along.... (this is what puzzles me :confused: )

I'm guessing something's worn out.... but what, i mean i would like to know what exactly needs to be repaired, to know where the problem is located

Thanks
  • The problem is most likely in the laser drive/ diode itself. Your best bet will be to contact Sony regarding repairs at this point.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    The problem is most likely in the laser drive/ diode itself. Your best bet will be to contact Sony regarding repairs at this point.

Thanks for replying

But why the laser? if the problem is already there before i insert a CD, something to do with Hardware yes, but why the laser?
  • Well, it is the laser that reads the disc, after all. When that starts to go it will eventually stop reading all discs.

Of course, it is entirely possible for it to be something else like the video output of the system. Either way, you had best contact Sony and see about getting things sent in for repairs.
  • Could i do it myself or is it really better to leave it to the pros?

If the problem is the video output of the system, what needs to be replaced? the entire motherboard?
  • It would be best to leave it to the people Sony pays to have this sort of thing done. If it is the video output they would basically have to replace the entire "mobo" as it is all built into the one board.
  • All right then i will and thank you very much for your help