Watchmen Movie Thoughts
  • Went to the movies this past Saturday to check out this winter's most-hyped movie, Watchmen. As most are probably aware, this is based on the graphic novel by Alan Moore originally published in the mid-late 80s (well before this web site was even first a thought in Jim's mind).

Now, I went in not knowing just what to expect as I never did read the books when they first came out. Having said that, the story is very well done (as is the norm for Alan Moore) and the look is very much in line with how it was originally envisioned (I picked up a reprint of the series to compare the two afterwards). This is definitely not your typical super hero movie and is also not exactly one for the kiddies (fair bit of gore in some of the scenes).

I'm not going to get too specific about the story as I don't want to accidentally give any spoilers to those looking to check it out but I will say it is definitely worth seeing and I may well pick this one up when it makes its way to home release (likely this winter's big DVD/ Blu-Ray release).

Anyhoo, thought I'd throw this out to see who else here may have seen the show and what they thought of it.
  • Truth be told, I wanted to see this movie. I really did. The only problem was that I'm not quite sure I would enjoy it based on how Alan Moore has worked in the past (Namely, V for Vendetta).

I read Alan Moore's graphic novel V for Vendetta and loved it, but then when I saw the movie I was horrified because they butchered it. I'm reading Watchmen right now because I want to read it in case they butcher that movie too.

What I've heard of that movie though is that it's more useful as a rental than a in theater movie.
  • I went to see Watchmen opening night! I totally enjoyed the movie, as a comic book fan and as a movie goer in general. However, I can see how some people might not appreciate it.

For instance, several (about a dozen or so) folks walked out in the middle of the film during a certain scene. They had kids in tow. Now, the movie is rated R, so I'm not sure what they were expecting. :huh:

Also, I was a bit put off by some of the nudity (not the Silk Spectre, of course, but Dr. Manhattan.) ;) It seemed to be a bit gratuitous and now the wife wants me to shave my head and paint myself blue?!

Loved the job Haley did with Rorschach. Made the movie, for me.

Overall, I think it was an excellent flick and can't wait for the DVD/Blu-Ray release!