• Here we go....blow a wad of moolah on a new PS3 (80gb), games and a few accessories, and now the d@mn thing is starting to freeze up on me.

It first happened to my wife when she was playing Heavenly Sword. At first it was a one-off, but the next time she played it, anytime she would move the character, it would lock-up like a dog in heat. So, naturally, thinking it may have been the game, I went and exchanged it for another copy.

Popped it in, and same d@mn thing happened. I did some research, and found that HS is known to do this....not common, but it has been known to freeze.

....I'll deal with that later.

So I insert my Dead Space game, which I have been playing for the last week for roughly an hour or so per night.

First, the sound was gone. So I eject, restart and "PRESTO" there is the sound again.
    WHEW!
    ...but wait!
    I keep playing and the sound disappeared again.
    THEN the whole thing freezes just like HS.
    REBOOT and try again.
    No luck.

Did some more research, and found out that the PS3 is having a LOT of these issues lately.

I am going to try and reset EVERYTHING to the default settings this evening. Hopefully it will work fine afterward.
    If not, I will be taking it back for a replacement.

I know the place I purchased it from will exchange it...I also purchased the extended warranty, so I am not too concerned as far as all that goes. BUT, it just fries my cookies that for the cost of the d@mn thing it is this buggy...and apparently I am not alone with these issues. Mind you, I am a BIG-TIME Sony/PlayStation fan, but this to me is just unacceptable given the steep price of the console. :mad:

PS1, PS2, PSP, GC, Wii, DS; no problems whatsoever. PS3...less than a week and lookin' pretty FUBAR to me.

I will let everyone know if I get it working or not...

PS: Yes, it is well ventilated and in a non-dusty environment.
  • Well...so far so good.

I backed up my data, and performed a Quick Format, and everything seems to be working fine as of now. I will give it a good workout this Saturday for some extended play to see how it goes.

If it does it again, I will perform a Full Format, but hopefully it won't be required. I'll keep everyone updated.
  • i hav the same problem as u, i performed a full format, and its a bit better , i still gt the one of freez, lyndon m staff is the best person to ask this about
  • (*^*$&^$&^)(^(_%&^#$%#%* !!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

...see, that'll learn me to speak too soon. Played for about 20 minutes and the same d@mn thing happened again! I performed a FULL FORMAT before I went to bed last night, and I will check it out this evening when I get home.

Once again, hopefully it will be in proper working order.

...I have my receipt and original box ready just in case though. I have to say, I am more than a little perturbed by the whole thing though. :frown:

Lyndon:

Other than bouncing it off the salespersons head who sold it to me, any other suggestions?
  • Sounds like you ran into one of the few faulty units that do make their way past quality control. Still, i want to ask where you had the system set up. Is the system sitting out in the open with lots of air around or do you have it in some sort of home entertainment unit?
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Sounds like you ran into one of the few faulty units that do make their way past quality control. Still, i want to ask where you had the system set up. Is the system sitting out in the open with lots of air around or do you have it in some sort of home entertainment unit?

It is sitting out in the open with PLENTY of ventilation on all sides...with the shelf it sits on also being fluted, so even that isn't solid. The stand is actually custom made for stereo equipment and designed for high-heat emitting electronics to allow for ample airflow in a 360 degree radius; with the addition of several strategically placed high air-flow (super silent) biscuit fans to ensure constant air movement and fresh-air exchange.
  • Well...my PS3 lasted a whopping 12 days! How suck is that.

Apparently, based on the symptoms I described to the Tech/CSR I spoke to at SONY, my console has a spindle failure.

Although the process of getting it repaired/replaced was hassle free, it is still very sad that for $400+ this new "Wonder Machine" didn't even reach the broken in stage of life yet; while my PS1, PS2 & PSP are doing just fine...and they were a fraction of the cost.

I am a big Playstation fan...but I am not impressed with this and I have to wonder, is this what can be expected for the future of the once-reliable Playstation?

So until I get my $400+ boat anchor replaced, I will look fondly on the stack of new (and equally expensive) PS3 games as I am playing on my PS1, PS2 or PSP.

Is that sad or what?
  • While it is unfortunate you did get saddled with a PS3 that did have a fault in it don't think this happens with the majority of their systems out there. Of course you're going to see more of people saying something happened to their system, no one ever says "I got a PS3 and it's working great!" in a forum. It may seem like faults are happening to "every one" because you'll see just the negatives out there. The hardware failure rate of the PS3 has been a lot lower than the 360's red ring of death in comparison.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    While it is unfortunate you did get saddled with a PS3 that did have a fault in it don't think this happens with the majority of their systems out there. Of course you're going to see more of people saying something happened to their system, no one ever says "I got a PS3 and it's working great!" in a forum. It may seem like faults are happening to "every one" because you'll see just the negatives out there. The hardware failure rate of the PS3 has been a lot lower than the 360's red ring of death in comparison.

Yes, the PS3 does indeed have a lower failure rate that the XBOX, but currently, based on 20 million units sold worldwide, the PS3 is seeing between 3% - 4% failure rates.

Now, as a percentage, the number is low, but the actual (based on 20 million units) numbers are as follows:

1% = 200,000
    2% = 400,000
    3% = 600,000
    4% = 800,000

There is a very specific reason that companies prefer to use the percentage rate versus the actual numbers...2% looks lower and more reliable to the average consumer than 400,000 does.

Either way you sum it up, that is a LOT of failed or failing units.

...and although I know what you are trying to say, a response such as "don't think this happens with the majority of their systems out there." is akin to telling the passenger on a plane that is on fire that flying is still the safest mode of transportation.
  • It does kinda sound like I'm spouting "company line" there doesn't it? Comes in part due to not having had something like this happen to me as of yet (knock on wood *ow, my head*).

It's near-impossible for them to get 100% fault free especially when they are dealing with multiple sources for some of the same parts but I definitely agree they can do more to cut the failure rate even more.
  • I think what REALLY ticks me off more than anything is that I have to go through SONY instead of just returning it to the local store (Game Crazy) where I purchased it.

So now to add insult to injury, instead of returning a defective unit and getting a replacement the same day (like the way they gladly accepted my money); it will be a week or so.

I agree that to think that there will never be problems with any console, regardless of who makes them, is highly unrealistic. BUT I do think that those stores/outlets that do sell them be the primary party to replace those units that do fail...they are the ones who accepted and received our monies. Let THEM replace the failed units and let THEM go through the hassle of returning the failed units to SONY.