• Hi there. I was after a bit of information regarding connecting my PC to my PS3. My PS3 is currently connected to the internet wirelessly to the computer that is upstairs which is not mine. However i want my computer that is here to connect to my PC so that i can run my movies etc threw the PS3. My pc is also connected to the wireless network.

I may not have explained that in a very understanding way so will try and break it down a bit.

My PS3- connected wirelessly to the router upstairs (flat mate) Internet works fine on PS3.

My PC (basically next to my PS3) wants to connect to my PS3 to share the media.

If it helps i am able to connext threw Ethernet so dont no if this may work.

Any info will be great thanks
  • Sounds like you have just about everything in place already and just need to set up the folders you want the PS3 to pick up for sharing then turn on the media server connection down in the Network Settings of the PS3.
  • My PC (basically next to my PS3) wants to connect to my PS3 to share the media.

If it helps i am able to connext threw Ethernet so dont no if this may work.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like you want to use your PS3 as a server. If that is the case, you may want to be aware that by doing so, you may open up your computer to vulnerabilities. By using the PS3 as a server, you will effectively bypass your firewall & Anti-virus program(s) on your PC.

Even just connecting your PC to the PS3 can pose potentially harmful results in the future. Even though the PS3 is designed to do so, people are going to star seeing "oddball" viruses and spyware/malware start to show up.

Why?

PS3 is NOT secured to the net by any sort of Firewall/virus/adware protection...and I do know that, as a frequent visitor of some of the "Hackers Underground" sites, there are a LOT folks who are aware of this vulnerability and are working to design "backdoor attacks" using the PS3 and it's unsecured web accessibility as the means to attach bits of code to the PS3 code that will then be transferred to your PC. Your PC will not recognize these "little bits" and virus programs aren't looking for them.

A few keystrokes later, the "little bits" of unrecognized code will (or at least that is the plan) mutate into some very undesirable results.

The most talked about method of setting off these types of attacks are being referred to as "Joystick Attack Port Surrenders" (JAPS), which is a method by which using the PS3 joystick will be the method by which these bits of code are actually unleashed or unlocked on your computer.

Now, it has to be mentioned that this hasn't come to fruition as of yet...but sadly, when these types of programmers/coders see challenges such as this, they will eventually succeed.

*Sigh*...welcome to the world of the web. :(