Give These People A Stella Award
  • Another e-mail I got but I know a lot of people here are gonna enjoy these. These are the people you love to hate. :angry:

It's time once again to consider the candidates for the 2003 Stella
    Awards. The Stella's are named after 81-year-old Stella Liebeck who spilled coffee on herself and successfully sued McDonalds.

That case inspired the Stella Awards for the most uniquely successful
    lawsuits in the United States for last year. Actually, joint awards should be given to the plaintiff attorneys and the flaming idiots on the juries who awarded anything at all to these morons--who deserved NOTHING!!!!

The following are this year's candidates:

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of
    her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son.

A 19-year-old Carl Truman of Los Angeles won $74,000 and medical expenses when his neighbor ran over his hand with a Honda Accord. Mr. Truman apparently didn't notice there was someone at the wheel of the car when he was trying to steal his neighbor's hubcaps.

Terrence Dickson of Bristol, Pennsylvania, was leaving a house he had
    just finished robbing by way of the garage. He was not able to get the
    garage door to go up since the automatic door opener was malfunctioning. He couldn't reenter the house because the door connecting the house and garage locked when he pulled it shut. The family was on vacation, and Mr. Dickson found himself locked in the garage for eight days. He subsisted on a case of Pepsi he found, and a large bag of dry dog food. He sued the homeowner's insurance claiming the situation caused him undue mental anguish. The jury agreed, to the tune of $500,000.

Jerry Williams of Little Rock, Arkansas, was awarded $14,500 and medical expenses after being bitten on the buttocks by his next-door neighbor's beagle. The beagle was on a chain in its owner's fenced yard. The award was less than sought because the jury felt the dog might have been just a little provoked at the time by Mr. Williams who was shooting it repeatedly with a pellet gun.

A Philadelphia restaurant was ordered to pay Amber Carson of Lancaster,
    Pennsylvania, $113,500 after she slipped on a soft drink and broke her
    coccyx! (tailbone). The beverage was on the floor because Ms. Carson
    had thrown it at her boyfriend 30 seconds earlier during an argument.

Kara Walton of Claymont, Delaware, successfully sued the owner of a
    Nightclub in a neighboring city when she fell from the bathroom window to the floor and knocked out her two front teeth. This occurred while Ms. Walton was trying to sneak through the window in the ladies room to avoid paying the $3.50 cover charge. She was awarded $12,000 and dental expenses.

This year's favorite could easily be Mr. Merv Grazinski of Oklahoma
    City, Oklahoma. Mr. Grazinski purchased a brand new 32-foot Winnebago motor home. On his first trip home, having driven onto the freeway, he set the cruise control at 70 mph and calmly left the drivers seat to go into the back and make himself a cup of coffee. Not surprisingly, the RV left the freeway, crashed and overturned. Mr. Grazinski sued Winnebago for not advising him in the owner's manual that he couldn't actually do this. The jury awarded him $1,750,000 plus a new motor home. The company actually changed their manuals on the basis of this suit, just in case there were any other complete morons buying their recreation vehicles.
  • Those news items sicken me. Truly, being responsible for your own actions is not very important, as juries keep rewarding a$$holes who blame others for their misfortune(s).

That family of the sadistic pr!ck in Little Rock would have received a HUGE settlement if he had shot my dog with a pellet gun. His hospital bills would have been enormous, if he survived, and it surely wouldn't have been from wounds inflicted by the dog.
  • It kinda shows where the human race is going doesnt it. Down the drain. What kind of moronic jury would award ANY of those people money... what, were they bribed or something.

Same here WB. There are some true sadists out there arent there.

"Kathleen Robertson of Austin, Texas, was awarded $780,000 by a jury of
    her peers after breaking her ankle tripping over a toddler who was running inside a furniture store. The owners of the store were understandably surprised at the verdict, considering the misbehaving little toddler was Ms. Robertson's son."
    This one is one of the ones (that didnt come out right) that absolutely sickens me. I mean, COME ON!!!!! I feel sorry for the owners of that store.
  • It is true that only an idiot would shoot a BB gun at a dog and then expect not to be bitten (or beaten).
    BUT a dog should never attack a human, cat, other dog or what ever. If they do the owner has failed misserably at training the dogs psyke. That's how it is, even if I sometimes wish that it wasn't.

I really can't understand how that toddler tripper could make a case :huh: There must be somthing else that has been left out, I mean really

Thankfully enough we haven't got this kinda stupid behavior were I live. geez
  • Originally posted by manneman@Feb 15 2003, 05:05 AM
    BUT a dog should never attack a human, cat, other dog or what ever. If they do the owner has failed misserably at training the dogs psyke. That's how it is, even if I sometimes wish that it wasn't.

If I had an intruder in my house I would tend to think that a dog should bite. It is his instinct to protect his territory.
  • No it isn't.
    The last thing a dog wants is to fight, it only does this when cornerd and threatend.
    A dog can growl and bark and bristle to scare an opponent or intruder away, but it should never bite. That should never be incuraged, that should never happen.
    If it does, the owner is responsible for not training the dog or keeping some kind of muzzle on the dog.

There isn't just thiefs and murderers sneaking around, kids do that alot too. And they tend to die rather easaly from dog attacks.
  • Originally posted by Crickettrules@Feb 15 2003, 02:29 AM
    What kind of moronic jury would award ANY of those people money...

Well, after reading Mannes posts here (and please don't take this too personally Dear) I see we have an answer!!
    :angry: NO ONE should be shooting ANYTHING at a dog who is in his OWN yard, and tied up to boot!!!!!!!
    That idiot deserved to get bitten and worse!!!!! :angry:

The only time anyone should shoot anything at a dog is if the dog were attacking first. PERIOD!

As for the other cases, well, I'd like to have just five minutes with any of those juries!!! :angry: Just five, that's all I ask!!!!!
  • Aaah, but you see I will never be in a jury since we don't have that over here.

The dog owner is naturally entitled to a fair amount of indemnification (no I didn't look that word up Ipromise :lol: ).

I don't understand why the shooter should get any money though, maybe the medical bill payed at tops.

The dog I will sentace to be muzzled while outdoors until it passes the police dog safety test.

I am the law, firm but fair. :P
  • OMG! Those stories were ridicoulous! In my opinion, the dod was perfectly entitled to bit - if you got shot by a bbgun, you'd probably try to beat the person up.

This is the compensation culture, and the same thing is beginning to happen in England too. Claims have increated many times over in thelast few years...
  • That's utterly absurd! I'm staggered and amazed that a jury would rule in favour for any of those, IMO ridiculous claims!
    If such instances are allowed to continue, especially in the case of 'Kathleen Robertson' (who would probably benefit more from a 'toddler leash' and a pair of glasses!), we will all soon end up signing lengthy clauses, just to use the local general store to get a bottle of coke! You can just imagine it........1 a) We the above mentioned, hereby waiver (sp?) all Right's......blah, blah......etc!

It's simply stupid to award the idiot's of this World, and for me I can't see this as being anything but that.......Stupid!!

• Heh heh, good thread for getting a mutual rant going. Too bad they're all urban myths 'though,
    otherwise I'd be joining in with my own anti-moron rants.

I hope I didn't burst anyones bubble too bad. What, with ya gettin' all worked up & finding out
    it was for nothing (gee, I'm a real spoilsport, arn't I) :D
  • Well I guess "Hope Spring's Eternal", and if indeed these are fabricated, then all I can say is..........Phew!! Thank cripes for that!
    Oh, bubble is doing just fine, slightly bent, but still usuable!LOL.

Don't ya just hate it when you forget to close the Tag's!
  • Originally posted by Bid@Feb 18 2003, 12:43 AM
    Well I guess "Hope Spring's Eternal", and if indeed these are fabricated, then all I can say is..........Phew!! Thank cripes for that!
    Oh, bubble is doing just fine, slightly bent, but still usuable!LOL.

Don't ya just hate it when you forget to close the Tag's!

*cough cough*Tag still not closed *cough cough*Well, to sue someone because of your own son, lol, that is just crazy. It is kind of your falt after all!Well, all of these, I think were personly there fault. Rex, do you know about the guy in the garage that sued for half a mill. Did the owners of the house sue him for breaking and entering and stealing?

• There ya go Bid Sweetie, Speedie to the tag rescue!! :wub:
  • Thankies, Speedie! :D Was having a 'blonde' moment and thought about adjusting it myself, then decided against it. Am wonderfully public about my blunder's....Tehe.