Problem connecting PS3 to Playstation Network
  • I banged my head around last night for 2 hours...finally my fiancee and I gave up and decided to just play some games instead.

I have a Motorola SBG900 and it connects to the internet just fine on my PC. I went through the process of setting my PS3 to connect wirelessly, since my PC is on the other side of our apartment. Signal strength is typically 85 - 97%. It will connect to the internet but won't connect to PSN. Funny thing is, it did let us sign up for a PSN account but any time we try to sign in, it times out. When I test the internet connection the IP address is found, connects to the internet successfully, fails on PSN and fails on NAT. The other funny thing is...when I finally got the wireless setup right to get to actually connecting to the internet, it did let me get the most recent system update. I don't get what is wrong.

I won't say that I am savvy in the networking dept but I know my way around a PC pretty well and tried a few things to no avail. Can someone shed a little light on this for me and let me know what I am doing wrong?

I realize it's probably my router settings but I will admit that I am a novice in this department. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm dying to try out some demo's and download a few other things.
  • It would indeed be your router settings. The PlayStation network needs to have certain ports opened to allow the PSN traffic through and these are normally closed by default in routers. Check out the pinned thread at the top of this section for a listing of the ports needed.

Once these ports are entered and saved you most likely will need to give your router a power cycle to let the PS3 "see" the new settings.
  • Lyndon, thank you for helping me, I really appreciate it. I wish I could say that I was out of the woods but unfortunately that is not the case.

I went to the portforward website as the sticky post suggested and tried all of their steps to no avail.

I wasn't able to setup a static IP address at all. Every time I tried to do this, my internet would just stop working. Was I supposed to powercycle my modem after putting in all that info under the TCP/IP Protocols before trying to connect to the internet? It didn't say to do that and I honestly didn't even think of it until now. Anytime I changed the TCP/IP info (IP, Gateway, DNS, etc) the internet would just stop working alltogether unless I put in the IP address that ipconfig supplied me with.

I figured I would give it a go at using portforwarding using the IP address I got from ipconfig and see what happens and that doesn't work either. I triple checked all the numbers so I am certain I put them in right. A little more info: I am using Windows XP and I have Comcast HSI. I called Comcast to try and figure it out with their "tech" department...ha, what a joke. When I asked how I would go about setting up a static IP they just kept telling me that I didn't need to do that and to just unplug everything and then plug it back in and the PS3 and Modem should recognise each other wirelessly. When I asked them if I wanted to set up a static IP for laughs they acted like they had no idea what I was talking about which I'm sure is 1 part truth, 1 part lie. I can still get online with the PS3 but that has never been my problem, my problem is getting on to PSN only and I believe they were giving me solutions to get online with my PS3. I am aware of their relationship with XBox and smell something fishy when it comes to us PS3 owners in the lack of help we seem to get from them.

Question is...where do I go from here? I ran through the portforward steps a few times to no avail. Mostly just got stuck with not being able to setup a static IP which I'm sure affected the rest of the steps. Is this a Comcast issue?...a DHCP issue?

I don't want to pay Geek Squad $150 to come out and fix it in 10 minutes and make me feel dumb. Haha. Also, I read about having to open ports for every single game I own...is that for online play or for just downloading add ons for those particular games? Would setting up a DMZ get me around that?

Any help would be awesome and thank you so much in advance, I am confident we will figure this out and appreciate your time.
  • To set up a static IP address for the PS3 on the router/ modem go into the gateway portion of the Motorola's settings then click on LAN on the top. You'll see the blanks there in the middle of this tab to reserve an IP address. Type the PS3's MAC Address in the first blank then fill in what you want the last 3 numbers of the IP address to be in the next. You can check the box next to this if you want the PS3 to bypass the firewall then put a host name in the last blank ("Playstation Network" will do or PS3- use whatever you like). Then just click the Add button and you are done. You can then set that IP address into the PS3's network settings as well.

Once done you can go to the next tab for Port Forwarding and set those ports needed for the PS3's IP address by clicking on config Considering you did add those ports before you should be able to just edit the IP address to match the PS3.

It's all detailed in the user guide (found here)
  • You know, I thought it was a little weird putting things like that directly in to my PC's TCP/IP protocol. This should have donned on me that it was done in the router, not the PC. I now feel dumb. Haha.

I will give that a try when I get home, 2 quick questions...where do I get my router's IP address and the PS3 Mac Address from? Sorry for being so clueless when it comes to networking, haha.

Thank you again!
  • As I explained in the post above, you can find the PS3's MAC Address by going into the Settings menu, go down to System Settings and finally to System Information.

As for your router's IP address, that is the address you go to to log into it and change up the settings. If you don't have that it will be noted in the online manual I linked to.