Using Port Forwarding and Problem with Wireless Connection
  • Hi,

I am new to this site, but would be very grateful for some help please. I am having great difficulty connecting my PS3 using a wireless connection.

I used the Port Forwarding website to allow my router to allow in certain ports (the ports required to access Playstation Network).

Before I could do this it said I needed to set up a static IP address, so I followed the instructions and set up a Static IP address on my desktop PC.

When I went into my router settings to do the port forwarding process it said I had to enter a IP address I wanted to forward the ports to, so I entered the Static IP address I had created. Once I had done this for all the necessary ports, I ran the Port Checker tool and it said the ports were open, but for the Static IP address I had created.

I then tried to connect my PS3, but I can't get it to work. It will not obtain an IP address. My router signal strength is 100%.

I am not sure what I need to do when I am going through the Network Settings process. What IP address sould I be entering? Or is it something to do with the fact I forwarded the ports to the Static IP address I created for my desktop PC? I am a bit lost when it comes to IP address etc.

Apologies for the long winded post, but does anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do to get it to work? I have tried switching my router on and off etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
  • Bellamy, the static IP address should have been set up for the PS3, not your PC. Go back in and set this up (you'll need the PS3's MAC Address from the Settings Menu/ System Settings/ System Information on the PS3) and use that IP for the port forwarding as well as put that IP address into the PS3's network connection. Just be sure to make that address different than what you set up for the PC to avoid any potential conflicts.
  • Thanks for the reply Lyndon.

When I set up the Static IP for my PC I initiall went Run, then typed cmd, and then typed in ipcofig /all, as this had the Default Gateway, Subnet Mask etc. I then when into my network connections to create the Static IP.

How do I go about creating a Static IP for my PS3? I have the MAC address, but I am unsure as to where I need to go to set it up. Is it in my router settings?

Thanks again.
  • Yes, setting static IP addresses is done in the router settings, not in the computer settings. It varies from router to router as to where this is done- in the case of my router it is in the DHCP client list.