connecting ps3 online from military base
  • good afternoon folks

i have a problem that i believe is unique, according to the research that i have done over the last 2 weeks. i currently live on a military base that has wi-fi capabilities but also has a firewall set up. my ps3 can connect to the point where i can exchange messages, download games from the store, and view a webpage via the browser. however, when i attempt to join or create a game online, it says that i was disconnected from the server. sony claims this is a port issue... the ports they gave me are listed below:

* TCP Ports: 80, 443, 5223, and 10070 - 10080
    * UDP Ports: 3074, 3478, 3479, 3658, 10070, and 50100

the exception is UDP 3074, as this is the specific port used for Modern Warfare II. If i am able to get the network administrator on base to open these ports, should this fix my problem?

as a side note, i am fully capable to play xbox live, i can join/create games, use the headset, etc, etc... with good speed too.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!
  • It's definitely not a unique problem, actually. If the administrator is willing to open those port numbers you definitely will be able to get gaming on the PS3. For whatever reason Sony decided to use specific ports that are normally closed and makes for slightly more complicated set up.