Yet another internet issue.
  • I recently moved my Desktop Computer and PS3 to a new location in my house. The Desktop's internet works fine and I got another ethernet cable to hook up to the PS3 so I wouldn't have to deal with interchanging cables, and resetting my modem each time.

I got my PS3's internet working yesterday after a LOT of fiddling, but today the desktop computer (upstairs) 's internet did not work. After I reset the modem again the upstairs computer's internet started working but the PS3's internet stopped working (argh).

I have a switch, not a router, and it has 2 computers, and the PS3 going into it. The "collision" light never lights up so I don't think it's getting mixed up.

What's wrong with it? I would turn off my PS3, plug in the ethernet cable and turn off my modem for 30 seconds. Then turn it on and after another 30 seconds would start my PS3, but the internet wouldn't work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • It is the use of a switch and not a router that may be causing this. Look into an equipment upgrade.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    It is the use of a switch and not a router that may be causing this. Look into an equipment upgrade.

Actually I had the PS3 (and the same computer) upstairs a few months ago.

They were both hooked up (the exact same way they are now) and there was NEVER a problem with it. Internet worked fine on everything so I have no idea why it's doing this.

I did get a new internet modem though so I guess that could be the problem...
  • So I bought a router, hooked it up. Forwarded the ports.

Everything works fine!