Help getting games saves off hard drive!
  • Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me with something.

My PlayStation3 just recently broke down (Yellow light of death, KILL ME) and I sent it into Sony to get fixed. Well, receiving the bad news that they'd have to wipe my hard drive clean, I replaced the original hard drive (with about three months of my life worth of game time on it) with a new one. I did NOT want to lose all of those games.

Well now I found out, regardless of what someone else at Sony told me, that you have to have the original hard drive included in the system. Now I'm frightened to death that they're going to send my Playstation back unfixed and I'll have to go through the whole process again.

If they do, do you guys know if there's ANY way I can get that information off my hard drive and save it onto something else? My playstation won't even turn on, so I can't copy it onto an external hard drive or anything. All I have is the original hard drive itself with all of the info on it.

Any help would be great, guys...I know it's really nerdy, but I don't want to lose all of those games. Thanks!
  • I hate to say it but you may be out of luck. You could try putting that drive into a friend's PS3 and copy the saves that way but the system may actually format the drive when you try this (because it isn't the original drive from that system) and you lose them anyway.

Putting the drive into another system may be your only chance.
  • Yeah, that's what I was afraid will format to a different PS3, I tried that already.

Would putting it into my computer and copying the stuff over work? And I could store it on my computer? Or is that a nono? haha
  • Considering the PS3 uses a FAT 32 that may work. However, i would suggest instead getting an external drive shell that fits a 2.5" drive and use that instead of swapping out an internal drive.
  • Do you mean swap it so I can send it into Sony? If so, I've definitely already sent it with an extra internal hard drive...all I have now is the original and if they need that one...I'm looking for a way to get the info off...
  • Different stores such as Best Buy, Radio Shack, etc. sell casings that you can use to turn an internal hard drive into an external USB hard drive (and quite cheaply as well). What I was saying is you could get one of these for a 2.5" drive, put your PS3 drive that has the data on it in that then plug the drive into your computer via USB to grab the saves for temporary storage on your computer. THAT is what I was suggesting.
  • Oh wow, really? haha sorry I don't know much about electronics...well that sounds pretty awesome, and perhaps much safer than just putting the hard drive straight into the computer. I just got a notification that they sent my PS3 back to me..there's no way they fixed it in one day,'s probably cause of the hard drive. I'll probably do as you say!
  • Just for reference, is this what you're talking about? USB 2.0 2.5 HARD DRIVE SATA HDD EXTERNAL CASE ENCLOSURE: Electronics

I just dont' want to buy the wrong thing...
  • That's exactly the sort of thing i was talking about (and certainly can't beat that price on there).
  • No you can't! ahhh perfect! I'll try it, thank you! :D