Connection to Internet
  • Hi,
    I have a Virgin Media double outlet point in my living room, one coonection going to the V+ box and the other is spare. Do I have to have a modem between the other outlet and my PS3 or can I plug the console straight in utilising a cable / ethernet cable adaptor (if one exists)?
    Basically is a modem needed to "interpret" the broadband signal for the PS3?

Cheers,
    Steve
    (44 year old returning to gaming after years off)
  • If you have internet usage as part of your package with Virgin Media then you should have a modem/ router already, which looks like this:

or this if going with just their 10 MB service:

If you have one of these the PS3 should be able to get online, either by using ethernet cable from it to the PS3 or wirelessly as these boxes are also wireless routers.
  • Yep I have but probably didn't explain fully. My Virgin modem is in the office with the computer. The spare outlet is in the living room where the TV and PS3 are. I was hoping I didn't have to run 20m or so of ethernet cable under the house to be able to get online with the PS3 as I have no wireless router. So, original question again, am I able to plug the PS3 directly into the broadband spare port or does it have to through a modem first to "interpret" or "decipher" the broadband signal?
  • If your Virgin modem looks like either of the ones I posted pics of you do have a wireless router- they are a modem and router in one. If the box they gave is a modem only, buy a wireless router to share the connection and after a quick bit of set up you'll be good to go for gaming action. I don't think you'd be able to use that spare jack by the PS3 without the modem.