IP address timed out
  • My ps3 cant seem to get an ip address. I tried pretty much everything in this thread, but nothing works. I did the DHCP server thing, input the mac address assigned it an ip etc, but I still get the problem. Annoyingly, when I went to system settings to check the mac, there was an ip address listed there.
  • Someone else PM'ed me with pretty much the same issues. I'll offer the same advice.

Double check your port forwarding to make sure all of the ports needed are open. We have them all listed in the PS3 Console and Accessory section in the "getting Your PS3 Online - Some Tips" thread.

I would also suggest having a re-do of your PS3's connection settings and put in just about everything manualy. This includes an IP address for the PS3 (which you can reserve in the router using the PS3's MAC Address), the router's IP, the subnet mask and the DNS servers. Also make sure uPnP is disabled in the router.
  • I tried all of that, and all I got for my troubles was DNS error.(80710102)
  • Something is still not quite in the right place then. That error usually means something is up with the DNS server numbers it is seeing compared to what they should be.
  • They are definitely correct though, there were three sets of ip addresses for dns servers when I did ipconfig /all, and i put in the first two.

edit: I just checked, the third one is now missing for some reason, but the two that I entered into the ps3 are still there.
  • The ones you should use are the DNS servers listed in the router settings, not the ones going in the ipconfig command.
  • They are exactly the same though. I see something that says "static DNS", would that be of any use?
  • I'm having the problem with mine it won't obtain the ip address at the hotel
    I'm staying at can't get the wifi it worked just fine at the house I don't understand
  • The connection set up you have in the PS3 currently is specific to your set up at home. You'll need to make some adjustments in the network settings to connect to the hotel's wi-fi connection (or use a bit of ethernet cable to connect to the jack in the wall- most hotels that offer internet also have a wired option).
  • I'll try that out thanks.
  • i'm trying to connect my 3 mobile broadband dongle to my ps3, via an ethernet cable, all i get is IP adress timed out, can anyone help please?
  • You'll need to turn on internet connection sharing on your computer to make this work, asnape. A quick Google search for that term along with what sort of Operating system your computer runs (XP, Vista, etc.) will bring up all sorts of results spelled out step-by-step.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    You'll need to turn on internet connection sharing on your computer to make this work, asnape. A quick Google search for that term along with what sort of Operating system your computer runs (XP, Vista, etc.) will bring up all sorts of results spelled out step-by-step.

ok thanks for the advice, i have tried the above method and it still says ip adress timed out?
  • The method you suggested doesn't work, it still says IP address timed out
    ? what do i do?
  • Try this very simple test to see if it is an IP Address conflict causing the issues.

1. Turn all computers off.

2. Try hooking up to the net with the PS3

If you can hook up with all the computers in the house (and any other devices that are connected to the net), it is a simple IP Address conflict. If you can hook up after doing this, let us know as the solution is quite easy to resolve by assigning your PS3 a static IP Address.