Connection Problems
  • I recently traded someone my xbox 360 for a PS3. I just bought a ethernet cord the other night so i could get on PSN and not have to worry about paying anything. Well i get home and plug the cord into the internet jack on the wall.(dorm room, no modem or router required as told by the help desk at the college i attend) They told me after emailing them my problem that our internet is essentially a plug and play internet connection, with no custom network setup required. Anyway i plug the cord into the wall, and then plug the other end into the PS3. I go to network settings, select wired, set everything to automatic. I hit test connection and then i get an error code: 80010201, ethernet cable not connected but i swear its connected right. but for some reason the green light in the backisnt illuminating. I then unplug the PS3 and plug the ethernet cord to my laptop. turn off the wifi and i get perfect internet access. I contacted us.playstation.com but they wont help me. I cant really afford to send it in right now and spend my last few dollars on the cord. I know its not the cord and i checked the PS3 port and no pins are missing and everything seems to be intact. Everyone keeps telling me to format it to original settings or hold the power button for 5 seconds. I have done all of those many times. I have been told to go to run, type in cdm, ipconfig all, blah blah blah. none of it works or helps. Do you have any suggestions, ideas, know whats wrong with it? I would really appreciate any advice that you have , even if it doesnt work. Thank you again for taking the time to help me, and sorry about the long message. :(
  • Most dorm room internet networks are fairly tied down when it comes to certain ports being open and closed by default. Most of the ports needed to be open by the PS3 are normally closed due to this. You'll have to talk to the people that maintain the network for the school about getting a workaround in place.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Most dorm room internet networks are fairly tied down when it comes to certain ports being open and closed by default. Most of the ports needed to be open by the PS3 are normally closed due to this. You'll have to talk to the people that maintain the network for the school about getting a workaround in place.

I did they said everything is open. I believe it might be my console because the port works just fine and the cord works just fine. Any suggestions about getting the ps3 to detect the cord? or any settings i should use for the network?
  • Not much I can say to get the system to recognize the cable- if it doesn't see it and the port isn't lighting up then the port itself may be the issue.

As for settings, the IT guys for the dorm network should be able to get you the specifics needed (IP address, dns servers, etc.) to enter in manually.