Internet stops working when PS3 is connected to the router
  • Whenever I start my PS3 the Internet suddenly stops working for a couple of minutes. On the router we can see that it has lost the Internet connection but if we connect the PS3 directly to the modem Internet works.
    At first we thought there was something wrong with the router (Netgear FVS338) but then we noticed that this only happens when the PS3 is connected to it. When we disconnect the PS3 from the router Internet starts working again and the connection is stable.

This started happening in Oct-Nov last year, in other words this has worked fine before with the same router. We have the latest upgrade for the PS3 installed. We use a wired connection between the router and the PS3.
    Is there some setting on the PS3 that might cause this? Could it be an upgrade that has changed some settings? We just need help to understand what is causing this problem.

Thanks in advance
  • Sounds like an IP address conflict in the router settings. You may want to go in there and set up a reserved IP address for the PS3 using its MAC Address then edit that into the PS3's connection settings.
  • Lyndon M STAFF said:
    Sounds like an IP address conflict in the router settings. You may want to go in there and set up a reserved IP address for the PS3 using its MAC Address then edit that into the PS3's connection settings.

Thanks for the reply.
    The IP address is already reserved on the router using the MAC address of the PS3. But I will have to check if we also has set it up on the PS3.
    Still, I think it is strange that the router looses its Internet connection when we boot the PS3.
  • Which is why I'm thinking the router is having a conflict and kicking the computer (and anything else you have) offline.

Honestly, I am not a fan of the Netgear routers. Had tried one before and it gave me nothing but issues. My personal fave for brand is D-Link.
  • Lyndon: hehe.. personally I do not like Dlink. In my case they have always broken within a year :-p
    I tried setting the IP in the router and the PS3. At first it seamed to work but then the Internet connection was lost again. I then noticed that everytime i did a Internet connection test on the PS3 it seamed like the router restarted. But as soon as I disconnected the PS3 everything worked fine again.. hmm...
  • Hmmm... have you tried one of the other ethernet ports for the PS3? Maybe the one you are using has something wrong with it. Might want to check netgear's site for a firmware upgrade for the router as well.