Should API Take A More Strict...
  • I say yes.

I have sometimes seen three locked threads in a row by the same member and the member still hasn't been put in the cooler.If something isn't done soon this place might be turned into the megatokyo forums.
  • We do our best to keep this place as clean as possible. It's upto the members to follow the rules and keep the site up to par. Even if we close more than one thread by a member, it doesn't mean that they're spamming nor does it mean that they should be put in the cooler. If we were that strict on spam then i would have been out of the forums back when i first joined because i wasn't exactly clear on all the rules at the time, eventhough i had read them. Sometimes it takes time for newer members to get into a groove and us worrying about them messing up all the time doesn't help them get situated any faster than they would without us worrying. So, no i don't think a stricter crackdown on spam is needed. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • I say yes and no. I see some members with 700 or 800 posts spamming and that i think needs to be more strict they have been here and they know the rules but with members that are new I dont think being more strict would help and it would cause people to think badly of APi. theres my opinion :peace:
  • How about, "Should APi be more strict on taking care of newbies, welcome them and make them part of the gang?". Or is this some sort of elite club were only the top groups opinion is correct?
    I trust the mods to do their jobs as informers and teachers to the newcomers on this site. We can't bloody well expect people in their early teens to not do mistakes repitadly, it's what they are supposed to do to learn how to avoid doing it later in life.
    I think spamming is a very small "problem" at this site, and that is not beacuse the ones causing it are being kicked out. It's beacuse they are taught (sometimes rather slowly) how to interact in a forum such as this.
    The way I see it people tend to come in here with a prior experiance of how to post from other sites wich has had a more chat-like atmosphere. It usualy doesn't take very long for them to improve their post significantly.
    The only spam I have a problem with is the usual 3 to 4 posts following an originally bad one, all flaming on about how bad it in fact was. Use the report button for Christ sakes.
  • I think that if newbies span then they should be warned leniently, but if an experienced member does it deliberately, then further action should be taken. And anyway, the spam policy in this forum is stricter than most, and I feel that a little leeway is a good thing.

:helpme:
  • I think that the policy on spam here is sufficient. Yes it is annoying to see a few spam posts when I log on but it is something that will happen.

When we get new members to our site they may spam for one of the following reasons...

He / She is an internet virgin
    He / She not aware internet etiquette at all
    He / She is accustomed to other sites that tolerate spam
    He / She thinks that a higher post count means something here
    He / She thinks that they need to jump in and get to know everyone
    He / She just does not give a d**n

I am sure that there are more reasons but those are the ones that I could come up with off the top of my head.

Manneman had a good point... :think:

How about, "Should APi be more strict on taking care of newbies, welcome them and make them part of the gang?". Or is this some sort of elite club were only the top groups opinion is correct?[/b]

Yes just like in 'real life' we all have our friends but when it comes down to it the only elite club that we have here is the APi Members Area. We are all members, we all have a responsibility. ;)
  • yes i am new and i have had a couple threads closed. I tried a game that i saw on another forum, but it was seen as spam here, so that is a prime example of a newbie mistake.

• I'll have to agree that cracking the whip more will not help anything much. Newer members will learn how things work here simply by experience. I remember back when I was new and I 'got into trouble' for double-posting!! :unsure: It was pointed out to me very nicely and discreetly, I was not slammed into any cooler or anything, I was simply, and nicely reminded to watch what the h3ll I was doing!! hehehee

We all need to take care of one another, 'cause we're all family here!! Just like we'd expect an older sibling to help to take care of the new addition to the family, all of us need to take care of the new additions of this family. Of course there are times when a good tongue-lashing is in order (or a good smack upside the head, in some cases) but for the most part, I think this site is still the best and cleanest site on the net!!

(And you all should know that we're not afraid to give a big boot in the butt to those who feel the need to show themselves as the big butt-heads that they are!!)

A little note to GamerGuy;
    And things have gone along rather swimmingly since then, eh!?
    It's all good, man! :hug:
  • No, some mistakes are done bec. of lack in experience. I remember being suspended from the live chat because of mis behavior. but they just gave me notice. and that where our experience come in all of us experienced member should guide the newbies and teach some of them....
  • The problem with cracking down on spam (the regs know how
  • Originally posted by Daggers Lover@May 24 2003, 04:43 PM
    I say yes and no. I see some members with 700 or 800 posts spamming and that i think needs to be more strict they have been here and they know the rules but with members that are new I dont think being more strict would help and it would cause people to think badly of APi. theres my opinion :peace:

Nobody probably cares about mine because I was one of those people! I agree with DL 100%! To tell the truth, this was the first forum I was ever on! I had no clue what spamming was until a few months ago! Sorry about all the bad stuff I did and thanks to the staff for not trying to kill me..................much!
  • Originally posted by tonygillis@May 26 2003, 03:40 PM
    Nobody probably cares about mine because I was one of those people!

That is not true Tony. Just as long as those who have been warned learn from their mistakes everything will be fine.
  • Originally posted by Rex77@May 26 2003, 10:01 PM
    Just as long as those who have been warned learn from their mistakes everything will be fine

I agree cause I have been one to spam and i've learned not to do it anymore cause its wastes alot of space and its just stupid. Plus i got warned and I really dont want to be kicked out cause its cool here.
  • Yeah I think people need to learn early what copyright and spamming are and definently need to realise that posting double topics is simple to avoid just by checking in the search area. I sure as hell did when I got locked in the cooler for a month ( 1st person too! Not that I am proud of it...) it was HELL and I havent been in since. APi's level of strictness is good however a clear notice of rules and regulations should be planted in their head from day one! Possibly an auto message when they sign up? Thats it from me.

:peace: OUT!
  • You see LI and Tony here are great examples why our system is working well, i hope they won't mind saying that when they both first joined they were a real pain in the a$$ for us mods! But now they've learnt from their mistakes, and they're now 2 great members of this great website!! The problem occurs, when people don't learn from their mistakes, and keep making these mistakes without taking notice of the mods or members advice, and occasionally the odd person we get who intentionally to cause trouble... and they're dealt with.

Although it's frustrating to see somebody spamming, what we have to remember is that we were all newbies once, and the only way this website will grow is too welcome and give advice to the newer members. I feel taking an even stricter stance on spam would make this place feel more like school! And what we're here for is fun! And news, cheats and hints for the PSOne and PS2. And for as long as that's happening, this website will remain to be great!

:peace:
  • I'm relatively new to the internet to begin with, but I always thought spamming was :swear: you don't want popping up on your 'puter. I've never seen that here.

In reguards to something being posted twice, I guess I can understand that happening. Sometimes it's like splitting hairs. Example being what's your favorite game, and what's the greatest game. Also the library of posts is rather vast. searching through every one is monotonous and time consuming.

As far as newbies (which I still concider myself to be), it's a learning process. If not for the help of the senior members (who I still ask for advice), I would be nowhere.

Patience is a virtue, and as Susan said this is like a family. We all have friends here, and are willing to make more I believe.

I think if "spamming" is going on, then the best solution is a pleasant reminder of the rules by someone who is completely aware of them.

Let's have fun folks. :rolleyes: :woot: