Sammy Sosa's Incident.
  • When I seen this, I was a little disappointed. But when I found out that they checked all his bats, that was invasion of privacy. Its as if someone came into your room and threw your stuff every where just to find something you did not have.
    Rufus Out!
    :bash: :think: :peace:

• Oh no, I absolutely don't think it was too harsh!!

See, the rules in MLB include 'no cork in bats'..... and the fact that he was found with a bat that had cork in it, during a game no less, is certainly enough to warrant a good looking into!!

It's not really the same as someone just randomly coming along into your room and throwing your stuff everywhere just to find stuff that you do not have. It's equivalent to your being caught red handed with cocaine, for example, and then having your residence 'tossed' for any more illegal substances. There's a darned good reason for the further search... you've already been busted with something you're not supposed to have!!!

Well, Mr. Sosa has already been busted for having something he's not supposed to have, so a further search is definitely in order. Who's to say he hasn't been using corked bats for the past 2 or 3 years!?

It's not an invasion of privacy if he's already caught red-handed breaking the rules. A further investigation is the ONLY way to find the truth!!!

I'm just disappointed in the idea that maybe one of our 'heroes' is not really such a rule-abiding citizen after all. :2cool:
  • When Sammy and Mark had the home run comp a couple years back, they cut up one of every three of Marks bats, they never bothered Sammy. Now we found out who the cheater was! They won't let Pete Rose into the hall of fame for gambling because it's against the rules. Aren't corked bats against the rules? I say kick the SOB out of MLB. If you're a professional, act like it!
  • well i think it's a shame but i dunno what to choose..i would give him a second chance untill proven guilty..after all he did get on televisiona and apoligize..looked like he was about to cry too! :(
  • I dont have a clue what you are talking about! Nonetheless cheating of any kind suck arse so I say no even though I hit undecided by mistake!
  • i think it was a little harsh
  • Blimey, I reckon that was a bit harsh! :cry:
  • First of all, Sammy Sosa is one of the most likable players in Major League Baseball. The home run race with Mark McGwire made him into a superstar. Has this latest incident tarnished his reputation? Only time will tell. The fact is that Major League hitters of his caliber most definitely know what bat they are using when they walk up to the plate. Especially one who's been struggling at the plate recently. The story that it was a "batting practice" bat he corked to put on a show for the crowd during warm-up batting practice doesn't quite cut it. As for the X-raying of his other bats, Bravo to MLB for checking him out. Although the results were negative, I don't feel it was an invasion of privacy. Playing a game with rules and regulations, one is expected to follow the rules. I don't imagine he'll be doing it again any time soon. Personally, I'm anxious to see exactly how Bud Selig responds to the whole thing!
  • sammys a pro and knows the rules. had it been someone who hadnt come into fame for hitting homers but an average player would anybody be worrying about it?
    i doubt it! a true sports hero wouldnt cheat even for a show for the fans <_<

• I could understand using a corked bat in practice..... it doesn't necessarily have to be for his benefit, but maybe for the benefit of the outfielders..... so he can hit long ones for the outfielders to get better practice at going after them. That would make sense to me, but to 'not know' that it was a practice bat he was using!?!?
    That's just tooooo far-fetched for believing!!
    As Charger said, players of his caliber most certainly know what bat he's got in his hands when stepping up to the plate!! You don't get there by being a numbskull!!
  • That would be true Speedie, except for the fact that outfielders don't shag flies during BP. Corking a BP bat is done for the benefit of the fans. They get to see their heroes hit tape-measure balls in practice and OOH and AAH.

The actions taken by everyone involved follows baseball protocol to the letter. Sammy did the right thing by claiming to have used the wrong bat, MLB did the right thing by checking his bat stock, and the League President will undoubtedly do the right thing and suspend him for a few games, and probably take some of his endorsement money. Using a corked bat is cheating, but it's not a hanging offense. It's comparable to catching a pitcher scuffing a ball, or throwing a spitter. It's not a big deal. It will be no more than a speed bump in his career.

Speedie, you mentioned that he didn't get there for being a numbskull. You're probably right, but Sammy sure "ain't the sharpest tool in the shed," if you catch my drift.
  • I think if Sammy was using a corked bat, he should be given a great big fine and then everyone just move on and get over it :rules:

Worf
  • Originally posted by WreckinBall@Jun 7 2003, 03:13 PM
    That would be true Speedie, except for the fact that outfielders don't shag flies during BP. Corking a BP bat is done for the benefit of the fans. They get to see their heroes hit tape-measure balls in practice and OOH and AAH.

Speedie, you mentioned that he didn't get there for being a numbskull. You're probably right, but Sammy sure "ain't the sharpest tool in the shed," if you catch my drift.

Well, part one makes sense. You can tell I haven't attended any BP's in my lifetime!!

And, as for part two: Not being as much of a baseball fan as I once was, I'm not that familiar with the players as I once was. I guess it's safe to say that perhaps, though "he may have the full six-pack, he doesn't have that little plastic thingy that holds it all together"! ;)

Same could be said for any sports figure, really. Ya just never know...... but, as Worf said, let everyone do what they have to do, fine and suspend and all, then let's get the show on the road already!

Oh, so, what was the outcome of the 'investigation' anyway? And, no, I'm not gonna watch the news for it, nor even look it up online. Don't you know, this is the only place I come to for my world news!!! ;) HAHAHAHAA!!!