Is There Life After Death?
  • I don't really know why, but for some reason i've always believed that, once we die we "come back" as a new person, or even an animal. As in being reincarnated. I have difficultly accepting that there is nothing when you die, i don't particularly believe in the Heaven/Hell theory. But i find it hard to accept that once you're dead, then that is simply "it". I'd like to think that you can "come back" again, it is a comforting thought. And i also believe that there is such a thing as ghosts, spirits and the like...

What do you guys think, or believe? I just can't bring myself to believe that once you're dead, that is "it". But whatever happens after death, guess nobody will ever know... until you're dead that is, and then obviously it'll be too late!
    ;) :think:

• This topic is one of those that leads us into those 'religious' discussions, and I'm not here to debate, but to simply state my opinions as asked. I will do so, then I will quietly go away...

I do not believe that there is any other 'life' after death other than that of our souls..... ie; Heaven or Hell.

Heaven for those 'Believers' and hell for those who are not.

If anyone needs for me to elaborate here, then please ask in a post here and I will be glad to do so. But, only as an answer to a question, not as a debate. This is a very good and thought-provoking topic, I'd not like to see it have to get shut down by flagrant flaming and spamming!!
  • I try not to think :think: of it too much because then i start to try and think of our purpose here and then i get really depressed when i find out that there is no real purpose except to just live, so then i have come to the conclusion that i will no longer think of the future but instead the here and now.

Thank you for your time :peace:
  • :unsure: I will make this as short as I can..... I do believe in life after death and heaven and hell. I think its a big joke to believe you come back as a plant or chicken or something else along that line.

But this is how I was raised to believe... I can not say for sure what really does happen... I will find out in the end just like everyone else. :think:

Worf
  • Originally posted by Susan B STAFF@Jun 21 2003, 10:03 PM
    Heaven for those 'Believers' and hell for those who are not.

My answer is pretty much summed up in that one statement by Susan.

And the rest of her post could go too, if anyone wants me to elaborate on what i believe in or why then please let me know and i will give you a proper answer. Well, i hope that you all enjoy posting and have fun gaming.
  • I take the view that people should live this life as though it were the only one... "seize the day"

There is no harm being honest and nice to other people and many of the other things that religion encourages, but this whole idea of people blowing themselves up and using it as an excuse to kill each other because they think it will do them a favour in the afterlife/next life leaves me feeling a little cold.

If I thought that this life was just a trial run, then I know that I would not have achieved half of the things I have done so far... and there is much more to be done
    :peace:
  • Life is a form of energy, in some ways, and from what I understand energy is never lost, just tranferred to some form or another.
    Does this translate into "Heaven and Hell" afterlife, I don't know for sure. I know what my parents raised me to believe, but that's best left unsaid.
    I'd like to believe our "spirit" goes on in some form or another, perhaps becoming part of the universe - Our bodies becoming part of Mother Earth.
    We will always live in the memories of those we loved, the lives we've touched, and perhaps that alone is good enough.
  • Life after death what a subject.I have denoned my parents religion so this subject is kinda hard for me to explain.I believe heaven is a state of mind after death that is completely different to this "hell" on earth.Its true peace.If not what the point in life.
  • I was going to make a subject like this, but someone raced me to it. :rolleyes: Well, if you come back to life as something else, wouldn't you remember your old life? Thats the weird thing, some people say they remember.... But I think there all nut cases!

Well, when I think about it to myself sometimes, all I see is darkness. They say when your dying everything goes in slow motion and you start seeing special moments or loved ones that you knew. But thats all I can think of is darkness.
  • My thoughts on this subject are very simple and not deep at all.I'm screwed anyway it happens to be.

If there isn't an afterlife, in this situation heaven or hell since I really dont have the religious believe in me to see other views, it sucks cause I die.
    And if there is a heaven and hell I will go to hell which sucks.

Guess my only chance is reincarnation, except with the life I,m living right now I'll reincarnate as an ant or something.
  • Of course there is life after death!

The amount of times I
  • G'day Steve,
    how's things. Don't get much of a chance to post like I used too.

Anyway back to the topic. In my opinion out of all the belief systems/trains of thought that I have some knowledge of, reincarnation seem more realistic. I base this on the cyclic nature of all things including nature and the universe itself. All things breaking down and becoming something different. Wether or not our consciousness is cyclic, well who knows. Heaven and Hell in my opinion are a state of mind and relitive to what's going on in your life.

One of the main reasons I believe in the possibility of continual existence is because out of the eternity of time and space which has no beggining or end, I believe it's to much of a coincidence that my speck of a life span only exists now. Why not in the past or future, out of all eternity, I am here now. This suggests to me that I could have been something before and something 100 years from now.

Just a thought. It's good to question all things especially established trains of thought. :disco:
  • [quote]Originally posted by Jim B STAFF@Jun 22 2003, 10:00 AM
    [b]I take the view that people should live this life as though it were the only one... "seize the day"

There is no harm being honest and nice to other people and many of the other things that religion encourages, but this whole idea of people blowing themselves up and using it as an excuse to kill each other because they think it will do them a favour in the afterlife/next life leaves me feeling a little cold.

If I thought that this life was just a trial run, then I know that I would not have achieved half of the things I have done so far... and there is much more to be done
  • I may not speak further on the subject but,
    Originally posted by LolaNicolina@Jun 26 2003, 11:39 PM
    It is not that I do not believe in it, indeed there are things that happen that make me think it could be a possibility but I cannot in all honesty state that I do.
    I'd just like to say, beautifully put Lola, I can't think of a belief better than that.
  • I follow the beliefs of madhtr_STAFF and Susan. If you wish for me to elaborate further then I will gladly reply to any PM you send me about it. I will now step off the soapbox as quietly as I came on.
  • what are we hear for? what comes next?

All I have to say is look it up in the bible.

The word of God

That should give you some answers or msg me and I'll explain.

i dunno if this would count as a no no for me to go on about what I believe so if I get ripped for this little comment so be it.

Our purpose on this earth is to serve God, if we believe he exists and his son Jesus came to earth to die for us. However those who do not believe are given up to their own ways but not fully, the Holy Spirit works in the unbelievers life to bring them to an understanding that they need Christ to go to heaven. Those who never believe that christ saved them from hell will go to hell.

John 14:6 Jesus speaking

there is tons more to know but I feel this is already too much. :shy:
  • I'm not religious and my views on organised religion... let's just say I don't want to offend or alienate anyone on this site but I don't understand why several people immediately jump to the conclusion that Dan's question has anything at all to do with religion.

I *do* believe that we have a soul, an energy, which does not shrivel up and die when our bodies do. You may describe this as "residual energy". I don't necessarily agree with reincarnation, but I do believe our energy stays. Maybe you can feel, but probably in a wholly different way. More of a nature, Gaia type thing.

BTW, please don't try to explain why Dan's question *is* religious. I don't want to get in a theological debate with anyone. IMO, Heaven and Hell are perfectly described by Grant Naylor in the first Red Dwarf book and I'd rather leave it at that.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion