Power Outage
  • So how did the power outage of '03 affect you?

The first thing I noticed was that the radio station that I always listened to in the truck went dead, but I really didn't think anything of it. I was doing a garbage run at the time and had our garbage, my brothers garbage and my sisters who also just had the carpet and linoleum in half their house replaced so I was taking that as well.

When we got to the dump the scale operator said that the scale was out and that he figured that it would have been around $4.20 for our load. If the power was on that load would have been a little over $10, so sometimes having no hydro is a good thing.

Really didn't do much else on Thursday except get a good chunk of my book read. The power came back on here at 9:35 pm.

As for Friday I went to work as usual and worked until 9:15 when the power went out again. We were all sent home at 10 and the power came back on around 11 for a couple of hours. I went and got gas and waited for about half an hour in the line up, the gas stations, grocery stores and convenience stores were absolutely crazy yesterday. We knew that the power would be going out all day due to the rolling blackouts the family went to my parents for a swim since it was very hot and humid.

Since we got home last night around 6 we have had constant power so I think that the worst of it is over.

How did you get along?
  • I am not exactly sure what power outages you're talking about, but I know one thing...every night here we have a power failure and I end up waking up an hour later than I wanted.
  • Maybe you haven't heard but the northeastern US and majority of Ontario had a severe power surge on Thursday.

The following places have been affected that I have heard of so far consist of...
    • Toronto, Ontario
    • Ottawa, Ontario
    • Stratford, Ontario (where I live)
    • Kitchener-Waterloo, Ontario
    • Cambridge, Ontario
    • New York
    • Ohio
    • Michigan
    21 power plants went down in the matter of three minutes. Some people that I have heard of have gone without power for more than 24 hours due to this. Check it out on any news site or CNN, I'm sure you'll see something about it.
  • I have heard of this and I was watching it on t.v. since it had happened. I don't think it affected us, but when it happened, the power at my grandma's went out for about ten minutes. I don't think that it had anything to do with it though. It's crazy in New York and stuff, everyone was walking on the streets because there was no subways. I guess I was too far away to be affected.(Eastern Canada)
  • No power outtage down here. Looks like it missed good ole' VA.
  • I experience power outages all the time, but when I let out some power, I blame the dog. :woot:
  • Originally posted by WreckinBall@Aug 17 2003, 04:09 AM
    I experience power outages all the time, but when I let out some power, I blame the dog. :woot:

Wreckin' that wouldn't be a rottweiler would it??!!!
    LMAO!

:woot: :woot: :woot:

• No power problems here in the Southern Maryland area. Thankfully it missed us as well. I dunno man, maybe one world-wide permanent power outtage is what we need on this-here junkhole we call Planet Earth. Seems to me too many people rely on electricity and not many would know what the heck to do without it. Now, that would be some kinda test, wouldn't it!?!?

I hear loads of griping about why these ancient grids aren't 'just upgraded'! RIGHT!!!!!! Do you have any idea what all that would entail!?!? How long do you think it took to get these grids operational in the first place!? Now, taking into consideration the increased population, the increased amount of construction, the paved roads et al..... That is one serious undertaking!!!
    If these 'people' griped like they did (not all people, mind you) about just a few hours' worth of being without power, just imagine what it'd be like with a few ..... say 10-20... years without power ...... PER GRID!!!!! Bunch of morons!!!

But, anyway, back to the question: Nope, no power outtages here, thankfully!!! I'd sweat to death without my air conditioning!!! ;) :P
  • Originally posted by Susan B STAFF@Aug 23 2003, 11:14 PM
    I dunno man, maybe one world-wide permanent power outtage is what we need on this-here junkhole we call Planet Earth. Seems to me too many people rely on electricity and not many would know what the heck to do without it. Now, that would be some kinda test, wouldn't it!?!?

Quite ironic you're saying that out while using a computer.