Sports Choice
  • Alrighty folks, I know we've had sports related threads before but I hope this one is a little different.

We are on the world wide web, and we have members who are also world wide. I've seen many soccer fans here and as many football fans.

I've been a fan and participant in both sports. I was going to make this a poll, but I know how we feel about polls.

What I'm interested in finding out is which sport do you find more compelling and the reasons why you find it so. The initial discussion is soccer and football, however if you feel compelled to relate another sport you are welcome to.

What I want is WHY you love your particular sport of choice.

I'll begin. I love the NFL. Nowhere else can you see some of the most punishing brutality intermingled with the most impossible feats of human tenacity. A helmet-popping hit on the line while a reciever is 3 feet of the ground horizontal to it while pulling in a football travelling at 20 MPH with a meager 2 fingers. I think it is the brutal ballet.

I don't know if this thread will go anywhere, I just hope you can convince me why you watch what you do and why you do it. :peace:
  • I believe Soccer is the most popular sport worldwide but I have to say I've never been a fan. Perhaps if I grew up watching it or played in a league when I was younger, I might have more interest in it. Maybe some members here can inspire me to take a closer look at it.

For me, football (NFL-NCAA) is what I like. That is obvious (check the username) I think the tempo of the game is more to my liking than Soccer. The action is compact. Of course, a short attention span will do that to you. The athleticism displayed by players, at the speed of the game is incredible, where I just don't see that in Soccer. You aren't going to get knocked on your "keister" as much, so I guess I enjoy the brutality and physicality that football offers.

I think George Carlin says it best.....
    In football the object is for the quarterback, also known as the field general, to be on target with his aerial assault, riddling the defense by hitting his receivers with deadly accuracy in spite of the blitz, even if he has to use the shotgun. With short bullet passes and long bombs, he marches his troops into enemy territory, balancing this aerial assault with a sustained ground attack that punches holes in the forward wall of the enemy's defensive line.
  • I love both sports but for me soccer is number one. I do like the hitting in football (seen in my extremely physical soccer playing style) though.

The thing that I really love about soccer is that it combines finess and physical strength. Now some people will be saying soccer doesn't need physical strength. Yes it does and here is why: First off as a player in a higher league you have to run non-stop for 45 minutes then you get a 15 minute break and then you have to run for another 45 minutes plus overtime. Secondly, in higher leagues again, the play is alot more dirty than it looks. When a defender is close to an attacker, the defender, if he/she is good, will be holding on to the attackers shirt tightly without the ref noticeing. It pretty hard to run when someone is hanging on to you with most of their bodyweight, trust me.

The finess part is also amazing. The good tricks and excellent passing are absolutly wonderful to watch. I just got back from a match between Canada and the U.S. Virgin Islands. It was wonderful to watch the precision passing that picked apart the defence enroute to a 14-0 drubbing of the Virgin Islands. :flex:

At first soccer may seem boring to watch until you have a good understanding of the game. If you have never watch a good quality soccer match(and if you are North American there is a very high chance of that) I highly recommend watching one.
  • Originally posted by jdm1108@Sep 11 2003, 06:52 AM
    Nowhere else can you see some of the most punishing brutality intermingled with the most impossible feats of human tenacity.

Hey jdm, you should check out some Rugby League, we have all those sort of hits but without any padding or helmets. :doh:

Rugby League is definately my game of choice. I don't mind NFL but only on TV, once went to a game they had in Australia and it went for like 5 hours, too many stoppages and time outs etc. Much more user friendly on TV.

With Rugby League I am a season ticket holder for my supported team who are on the way to winning the premiership.

I don't mind any type of sports and if there is any type of sport on TV I will generally sit down and watch it. I think the other afternoon I spent watching curling and lawn bowls. :woot:
  • [quote]Originally posted by Fat_Jiffy@Sep 10 2003, 10:55 PM
    [b] I think the other afternoon I spent watching curling and lawn bowls.
  • i love all sports but my personal favs are basketball, soccer, hockey and volleyball and yes i've been told they have nothing in commom :fight: