How Much Would You Pay For A Playstation 3 On The Day It Comes Out ?
  • So assuming that the PlayStation 3 is as good as we hope it is, how much is the maximum you will be willing to pay for a PS3, if you could be sure to have it on launch day ?

In other words, at what point would you say that it is too expensive and either go and buy something else, or decide to wait for 6-12 months for the price to come down ?

Polls like this are always tricky for people to answer honestly as the obvious answer is to always pick the lowest amount, but try to imagine that this is real money you will have to find before making your choice.

Jim
  • Well since I live in Canada the conversions work out to...
    • 350 - 407.10
    • 450 - 523.43
    • 550 - 639.75
    • 650 - 756.07
    • 750 - 872.40
    I honestly can't see myself (or the wife letting me spend) over 700 for a console. I still find 600 a little high but might be willing to fork it out if I had the money saved just for the PS3. I think that paying between five and six hundred is not out of the question. For the sake of my own safety I voted 450. :(

I honestly can't see the PS3 being less than five hundred Canadian on release day. Maybe Santa Claus will be good to me this year, I hope I have been good enough! :D
  • QUOTE(Jim B STAFF @ Apr 4 2006, 04:03 PM) [snapback]60736[/snapback]

... if you could be sure to have it on launch day ? [/b]

For a launch day purchase I voted $650 max. That still seems like a lot of money but I found a way to justify it. I examined other personal expenditures that are not essential to life but I pay for nonetheless. Vices, if you will.

Tobacco - over $1000 a year
    Beer, wine and liquor - over $900 a year
    Gambling - over $500 a year
    Video games and movies - over $800 a year
    Premium digital cable and internet - over $1100 a year
    Golf and other hobbies - over $700 a year

So in the grand scheme of things, $650 is not that much when spread out over a one year period. Of course, there would be the additional cost of at least one game and a memory card so we're really talking close to $800 out the door. That would eat up a good chunk of my Christmas bonus but for a launch day take home, it would be worth it.
  • Well, since I'm currently financing my luxurious life throught the means of student loans (i.e. not my own money) and "make" about 700 Euro/month I don't think there is any chance of me seening that console shining in my TV locker anytime in the near future. I will however finish school soon and hopefully find employment which will make my income three times as high. If, and I know you're all praying for this to happen, I say IF the PS3 were to be realesed, say 2 months after I start my new employment, I (and the missus) will still not have learned to spend the money on all sorts of crap (like food that hasn't passed expiration date and such) and then I will have my chance.
    It's all about timing my fellow gamers, all about timing.

As things stand now I would however say that 370 Euros would be my limit.
    Please contact manneman if you'd like to contribute to his fund raiser. :D

Wounder if a future employer would accept -"No I'm sorry I can't start working here prior to August 5:th due to the realese of the new Playstation console"
  • Whoo- glad to see the place going again! :)

At the very most I could see myself paying around what I paid on the 360, which came to be around $575 Canadian. Much higher than that and the thing had best be able to do everything short of wash my car to get me interested.
  • I'm prepared to pay top whack for it - but then impatience has always been my downfall!

IIRC, Sony have stated that we can expect it to cost around the
  • Kind of a trick question for me. I registered as $550 because I WON'T be getting a PS3 on release date. My reasons are two-fold. First I want to be certain that there are no bugs that need to be worked out. Secondly I want to be sure there is a descent library of available games. If it is available for $550 I might take the chance on release, but I plan to wait for roughly 6 months. If it is everything it's reported to be, I have no problem shelling out $750.
  • After perusing a few sites touting the bells and whistles of the new console, I still have to vote for $350 US dollars. While it does have many wonderful features, the truth is, I probably still wouldn't use it for much more than console gaming anyway; that's what I have my $2,500 (US dollars) computer for. Being first in line doesn't matter that much to me, in terms of getting the new technology, I don't mind waiting for a bit 'til the price comes down, but there's also the fact that I now live in a one-income household, and unless that changes back any time soon, my preference would be to go with the lowest dollar-figre, or wait for an even lower one.
  • I'm not even going to make a vote yet as there are just too many variables atm. I plan on moving into management at my job shortly, though I also plan on getting an apartment. The biggest part of what I'll pay is what the launch lineup of games will be. See, a good RPG (READ: Not Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom) will make me pay whatever I have to, same with DMC4 and MGS4.

If there are no good launch games, then I shall wait until there are at least 3 games that I could see myself playing through at least once. Crappy EA sports ports aren't gonna do it for me. In any case, there is still plenty of time for me to figure things out, plus I'm getting back $800 in taxes, that I plan on putting away just for such an occasion where I will buy the PS3.

Also, note that I still don't own a Xbox 360 as there are no games that I would enjoy as of now. When games such as Ninety Nine Nights from MGS and those Mistwalker games start releasing, then I will be all over that. It may have been hard keeping myself from buying it, but I think it's for the best this way. If you don't have any games to enjoy, then it makes a new console purchase kind of unworthy.

P.S. Plus I'm buying a $4500 tv shortly, so.... all funds are being shifted towards that right now. But soon.... sooon.

P.S.S. Come on S-E, you know you want to remake FF7 for launch for me... You know it.
  • I'm not paying a single penny until I get the hard specs of the machine. Blue Ray not working properly? issues with over heating the new chip? wireless joypad not up to specs? PSP connection a bit iffy?

But I'm not looking at the PS3 as another games console, I want to see what it can do with applications around the house/lifestyle like what windows media edition has done for us (got re-written code of windows to work with a lot of stuff in the house)

If things are okish I would pay around
  • Hummmmmmmmmmm. Well I voted to fork out as much as $450 but that is subject to change as the day gets near....
    I do have the cash stashed away just for it <_< <br />Any more than that my wife would flip tho.

I was a little upset that it didn't come out in march like I was told...

Worf
  • I'm willing to pay top $ and I do believe it not really a 'want' question.... more like.... NEED.

Hopefully Sony won't sting us to hard as I heard in a conversation, in the region of $900 (US) which would honestly be over the top considering the competition's prices.
  • QUOTE(Worfsonofmog @ Apr 17 2006, 10:13 PM) [snapback]61248[/snapback]

Hummmmmmmmmmm. Well I voted to fork out as much as $450 but that is subject to change as the day gets near....
    I do have the cash stashed away just for it <_< <br />Any more than that my wife would flip tho.

I was a little upset that it didn't come out in march like I was told...

Worf
    [/b]

Considering the console's insides only cost like $850 combined, $900 isn't possible. Heck, anything over $400 would not push the units that Sony would like unless huge games released on launch day (MGS4, DMC4, a Square Enix game, +more). I doubt Sony will be much higher than Microsoft and I could see them dropping $50 for the holiday season just because of the PS3. I would not be surprised to see the PS3 priced at $399.99, Nintendo's Revolution at $149.99, and Microsoft's dual-consoles at $249.99 and $349.99.

Maybe I'm just grasping at straws, but we shall see. I expect Nintendo to announce details at their Pre-E3 press conference on May 9, with Sony revealing pricing the next day, at its Pre-E3 conference.
  • QUOTE(SHAGGER @ Apr 18 2006, 10:02 AM) [snapback]61272[/snapback]

I'm willing to pay top $ and I do believe it not really a 'want' question.... more like.... NEED.
    [/b]

Sounds Like Jane <_< "but Tiff I NEEEEEEED a DS with Resident Evil & Trauma Centre, just sell your other lung & kidney!"
  • QUOTE(Tiff @ Apr 15 2006, 10:30 AM) [snapback]61115[/snapback]
    [quote]
    I'm not paying a single penny until I get the hard specs of the machine. Blue Ray not working properly? issues with over heating the new chip? wireless joypad not up to specs? PSP connection a bit iffy?

But I'm not looking at the PS3 as another games console, I want to see what it can do with applications around the house/lifestyle like what windows media edition has done for us (got re-written code of windows to work with a lot of stuff in the house)

If things are okish I would pay around
  • [i]I don't think I would buy a Playstation 3 on the day it comes out. Reason? Well, looking back when the Playstation 2 came out, it costed the outrageous amount of about 400
  • I voted for $350.. conversion to philippine peso is 17,500

Well Here in the philippines it's impossible to get the console on it's realease date since there are no direct distributors. You have to wait until 2 months or so after the realease dates. The stores here also buys the console in japan or in Hongkong at retail price then bring it here in the philippines. I expect the first price here will be around $550 when you first see the shadows of ps3 ( while looking behind a glass shelf).

I guess I will wait for the price to come down about a year or so.. Weel I waited for the ps2 price to come down and before i know it all my money was gone and I just bought a PC. well I hope I will have the patience to wait
  • Well..my vote really all depends on three factors.

If I can't play PS and PS2 games with the new console whether or not it had any games that I might like and of course if I have money.

For this case scenario...
    Then I probably wouldn't spend more than three hundred dollars on it.

If I can play my old games on it though...I'd be will to spend 600..but not really anymore than that. I'm trying to buy stuff for my room. :clap:
  • I probably won't be getting it on the day it comes out either - it'll probably be a couple of months down the line... I wouldn't really pay anything above
  • If I get a ps3, I will probably wait for a few months at least for the price to go down. I just recently got an x-box 360, so I think I will be happy for a while :P Sorry for going to the dark side guys :(

I probably wouldn't want to pay too much over $500 Canadian though.
  • Been thinkin about this one quite allot now that we know the price. With all the new tech in the console I think I'm going to wait a while to see if there are any comebacks. Hopefully SONY won't have any bugs to iron out but for that kind of cash I'll rather wait.

I mean I got my PSP's on release date and I'me hearing rumors of an updated version already, slimmer, more buttons and maybe 2 analogs...... :bash: I'll check out the info I heard and back it up if it's true.
  • I didnt actually vote, for a few specific reasons...

1. I want to see what the Wii has to offer
    2. I want to be able to choose between the Xbox 360, Ps3 and Wii
    3. Im Australian and have no idea what the conversions are
    4. Im a uni student and most likely wont be able to afford it and therefore will have to get it bought for me as a present lol.

Thats more or less it for me, why isnt there a *I wont be buying a Ps3* and a *I wont buy a Ps3 on the day it comes out* hmmmmm?
  • One thing is for sure, budget seems to be a big consideration for everyone. I myself wil not see one for quite some time. With the PS 2 being my 7th (and a half including the Sega 32X) console system I have the patience to wait for generation 2 of any system to come out (something I think X-box folks should agree with). When I was in my Sega Genesis days if I wanted it I just bought it regardless of the cost but now have the patience to wait.
  • I'll probably wait a few years for the price to drop significantly and any new system gremlins to be ironed out. Really can't justify forking out a huge amount after buying the PC I'm on now. I have heard that here in Oz, wer'e going to have to shell another 20%-25% more than the going price in the US. Given the fact that the XBox360 has a good head start, it's a tad cheeky for Sony to presume people will flock to the PS3 here in Oz with the inflated price. :g:
  • Wayyyyyyy More Than The Xbox360
  • Sorry for the late reply (LOL), but i bought my PS3 on launch day, for an exorbitant amount!!!!!!

Same as my PS2, and my PS1!!!!!!

Sony are earning a living off the likes of me.

My friend and i promised each other we would not buy a PSP on launch day......................

He came to work on launch day with one as he went and bought one at Asda at midnight. I went out on my dinner hour and bought one!!!!!!!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

In this Discussion