New Car M.o.t.'s
  • Just had to put the car through it's M.O.T. today and got a 15 page print out of what was what. Got a life history with it & I think there was the missing part of the Davinci Code in there as well. The new M.O.T. test sucks as it take the guy 45 mins to program the computer & 15 mins for the actual test!

To say, I was told to take the car out into a field & do to it the same way 'old yellow got! *gun loaded*

I've got 2 weeks to fix it, mega money there so no popping off for a weeks holiday in the sun in the middle of June. What's even worse is that when you come to tax your car at the post office, you can't if you have the old style MOT, even if it's in date! Got to have the new flashy computer print out one. Think I'll stick to putting a Guinness beer mat in the window for my tax disc. I think it's still legal over in Ireland to do that? Majik?
  • Please forgive me, but for the life of me I just can't figure this out.. what's an M.O.T.?? :huh:
    As soon as I know, I'll be a whole lot more able to sympathize!! ^_^
  • Google is a great little tool for finding these things out, Susan- really should check it out sometime. :harhar:
    The M.O.T. is somewhat similar to our annual motor vehicle inspections here on the West side of the pond, making sure the heaps are in good enough shape physically and enviromentally to be considered roadworthy. From what little I read on that page it's a lot more stringent than what we go through.

• They are horrible susan and they always cost a bomb to get your car through!!!

My jack's is in June :crybaby: He better pass - ive already given him a new exhaust system and new door and bodywork this year
  • Lyndon, I thought about doing just that, I really did, then I decided to be lazy and just "talk to" Tiff in here instead! :blush:

The whole thing sounds like a big pain in the neck, but, on the other hand, I read somewhere recently that all the stuff that we, as a species, have done in the past 30 years or so for the ozone layer is actually looking like it's paying off, and if we keep it up, that big hole over (don't remember where.. Antarctica?) may well be repaired totally in under 50 years from now! WOOT!!! Soooo, perhaps it is all worth it? Every little bit helps!
  • Tiff

the days of the Guiness tax disc are long gone :( in the North you MOT the car every year after it turns 4 and in the South its every 2 years at the minute.
    The tests in the north are actually more stringent than in England and i have one of my cars (the little green one) up for it Tuesday week - an independent test centre and the people who work in these places have no friends.....
    i have had to rebuild the rear brakes and renew the front brakes before going, but i still have then underside of the car to wash and the brake pipes to clean and with a bit of luck all will be good.
    Fortunately my father has a car lift and i can do most of the work myself, - for example an oil change costs me about
  • They are a pain but worthwhile as at least you know that the cars on the road are roadworthy (Well those that put them thru at least). And you cant tax your car without valid insurance or MOT so you know that cars are looked after and the drivers are covered (like i said IF they tax them in the first place!!)

This is why i want a brand new car. You dont have to MOT them for three years!!!
  • It sounds like a much better system than what we have here in the states, that's for sure!! Here, there are too many people out there who are uninsured and then get into accidents. Woe to whomever they smash into 'cause that person is just $crewed in every way.
  • QUOTE(Speediebean @ May 28 2006, 09:57 AM) [snapback]64179[/snapback]

It sounds like a much better system than what we have here in the states, that's for sure!! Here, there are too many people out there who are uninsured and then get into accidents. Woe to whomever they smash into 'cause that person is just $crewed in every way.
    [/b]

Not necessarily speedie. Maybe that's just a difference between your state and my state but..

When I had Fidget (my old accord) I got in an accident from a guy whom didn't look where he was backing up when I was trying to leave Jack in the Box. He had no license..no insurance and now I can safely say that car is in the junkyard. :clap:

In Cali it's the illegal to drive without insurance and if you drive without insurance and hit someone the cops can impound your car.

Gotta say, I love that law. Shouldn't be behind the wheel if you don't have anything to back yourself up with.
  • Yeah red - but if the guy is uninsured then you have to claim on YOUR insurance if the car needed any work etc. So in my case my insurance would sky rocket!! Im currently paying
  • AAAAAAAAAAAAAArrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just had to pay
  • QUOTE(oddish182000 @ Jun 4 2006, 03:45 AM) [snapback]65107[/snapback]
    [quote]
    Yeah red - but if the guy is uninsured then you have to claim on YOUR insurance if the car needed any work etc. So in my case my insurance would sky rocket!! Im currently paying
  • Well, the little green car (a citroen AX) passed the test with flying colours, total cost about 150 for the brakes and the test itself, but then again the car isnt much use with out the brakes (it had no handbrake for 3 months!!)

and then the next day, the other car (Xantia) broke the bottom pulley (the crank pulley) on the left side of the engine (from the front)- cost of this
  • Up here in British Columbia, Canada they used to have an annual safety inspection. That has been replaced by what is called the air care program. Every two years you have to get tested to ensure you meet certain emission standards. The down side is that trucks, farm vehicles and on site vehicles(forklifts etc) are exempt, and some of them blow nasty smoke. Motorcycles art exempt also. And yes, no matter where you go there's no shortage of nutbars on the road. I'm a truck driver by trade and deal with it all day long. However, most of my customers are body shops, so it's all those cretins who keep me in business. I figure it's best to keep a philosophic approach to it. Keep the rubber side down folks.
  • QUOTE(Majik @ Jun 9 2006, 07:00 AM) [snapback]65462[/snapback]

Arrrragh, with a car you never have money, with 2 of them you're :censored: !!!

[/b]

Heh heh, try 2 trucks!! :blink: (one of them being a full-sized V-10 with extended 8-foot bed) Insurance used to be the big thing, but with the price of petrol these days... OY VEY!!! :(
  • Am at in the garage now waiting for my car. They graciously give you free interne access after taking