Phobias Got Any ?
  • Ok, as per topic descripton, what fears/phobias do you have? Everyone has something that gives them the creeps wether it's the Oompa Loompa men in Willy Wonka's choclate factory or a fear of heights etc :g:

I have a "slight" fear of spiders. Most spiders I find in my house (exept for Redbacks and Whitetips :bash: ) I stick in a jar and place outside. Tried the same with a large huntsman spider a couple of months ago. Early one Sunday morning, one of my daughters called called out for me to remove this huntsman that was near the bathroom door. I stagger (had alate night) out of bed, grabbed a glass and headed towards the bathroom. As I approached the spider, he must of thought "screw this" and ran bloody fast towards my feet. I decided to remove my feet from the ground to avoid contact forgeting the law of gravity and as I came down on an angle, my shoulder crashed through the wall (gyprock/drywall).

The huntsman didn't make it out alive. Both my daughters found the whole thing quite funny :blush:
  • The dentist is the only thing that gives me cold sweats when i think about it!! I have a foxy looking dentist tho so he calms my nerves!!
  • I'm with Odd on the dentist thing... had a really bad experience years ago when I learned the hard way that I'm allergic to hydrogen peroxide when used orally. Throat swelled shut instantly and couldn't breathe, they had to call paramedics and I was inbubated and given oxygen, throat was burned out badly and couldn't talk for 2 weeks. Not fun when you're a young teen! From then on, I have always associated dentists to death, literally. Unfortunately my dentist isn't "foxy" like Odd's, but he is great about catering to chickens! When I go in, they always make sure to have an extra assistant available to just sit and hold my hand while I'm getting work done! I just LOVE that dental group! :wub:

My other great fear is of drowning. I'm a semi-decent swimmer, but that phobia has been with me my entire life.
  • Can't say that I have a fobia per se. I mean there is nothing I know of that makes my knees shiver just by thinking about it. Naturally, in situations that are threatning I react as any normal person would. Like for instance when I flew to Newark and the winds were making the plane almost do the loop, that was kinda sweatty (but then I get motion sickness really easy too).

Top of the list would have to be heights. I don't fear climbing up high trees or anything, it's just that I know I'm not the most agile person in the world an a 10 meter fall can do some nasty stuff to you.

Second, shark attacks. Now this particular fobia I had in my youth. Although there isn't any man eating sharks anywere close to were I live, thanks to as certain movie I had a bit of trouble keeping the fear away even when I swam in a pool. As I've gotten older common sence has taken over and I realize that chances are rather slim I ever will encounter a shark at all.

Spiders never did affect me that badly. I have no problem holding big spiders as long as I am assured that it is safe (not like I would go running around like Steve Austin sticking my hand in every hole I found if I ever went to Australia, I'm not an idiot afer all).
    I grew up around dog and "speak their language" so I never been frightened by them either.
    I love going to the dentist. I don't know if I might be a bit senceless but I really enjoy any situation where it hurts a bit, just because it feels so good when it stops hurting. :D
    Mice, no. Small spaces, not really. Clowns, come on! Fear of being attacked by youngsters while walking the streets at night - Used to be a youngster once, they aren't that intimidating.

Maybe I'll develop a larger span of fears as I get even older. I've noticed tendencies in old people that indicates that that's the normal thing to do. But what do I know.

• I would say I have a slight fear of guard dogs, big ones. Mostly due to the fact that I had a paper delivery route when I was younger and I was attacked numerous times (over 15 I think) by large dogs. Never got bitten, so I was lucky, just came close a lot of times and so I am a bit edgy around strange big dogs. I dont mind my own dogs though, I have a bull mastiff who Im not afraid of, just the unpredictability that gets me.

Lets see... Ill conjure up a dog attack story for you... here;

I approached a fence, it was about maybe 3 feet high, the owner was watering his front yard so I went to give him his paper rather than put it in the mail box due to the fact that he gestured for me to do so. His dog (cant remember the breed, but it was big mother f'r) was sitting near the fence and as I reached over the dog literally jumped from sitting position over the fence. All I had to protect me was my backback so I was holding that out in front of me. Luckily the owner came around and got his dog back in the yard. Luckily I was on the way home because I was pretty shaken up, it was the shock mostly.

I dont have any other fears, used to have a fear of heights but that went with age I think. Havent been afraid of heights since I was about 10 or 11.

• I don't really have a phobia per se, I guess that after our car fire I have a compulsion about fire. I will double and triple check to make certain all cigs are out before leaving the house. I make sure anything flamable is away from heaters. I'va always been pretty good about safety, but now this is more like an obsession.
  • Geez. You all make me seem like a big chicken as I have a large list of phobias. :blink:

First and foremost is heights. I have two things to thank for this one:[list=1][*]My Brother: There's a large mall really close to where I live and it's actually kinda small in comparison to others, but when you're little things are very large. Well, we'd walk around the second floor because that's where the pet shop was and I always wanted to pet the puppies and I got in a fight with my brother and he pushed me from the store entrance to the banister which kept me from falling to my doom. I looked over the edge and my foot got caught in one of the little prongs that support the main banister and it scared me because I thought I would actually fall down. It solidified my fear of heights.
    [*]Disneyland's Dumbo Ride: Before the trip to the mall I went to Disneyland and rode Dumbo. I was three years old and I picked a Yellow Dumbo and the whole thrill of the Dumbo ride is that you control your elephant and you just go around in a circle. Well, unbeknowst to me my controller for Dumbo was broken. So when the ride started...my Dumbo went up...and up and up and up and up..to the point where I felt it was too high and began sobbing because I couldn't get the elephant to go down. This didn't make me fearful of heights very much..just fearful of Dumbo and rides like it..but the mall solidified my fear and still to this day I can't stand anything high....just the thought of it makes me toes curl in and knees shake and stomach churn...blegh.
    [/list]Ironically, I'm also scared of dogs. But a specific kind of dog....Golden Retrievers. :wacko:
    I've been trampled by several Golden Retrievers whom just get a little too excited and knock me over and won't let me get up. If you stick me in a room with Rottweilers, Bulldogs, Pitbulls, or Dobermans I don't have any problem at all...but Golden Retrievers I will run away screaming. This fear is starting to subside a little with me constantly having to supervise group play time for larger breeds at my job and I've found Golden Retrievers are actually quite the trouble makers.

Used to fear speaking in public because I used to not be able to express my thoughts as well as others, but being in a drama group changed that completely. Speeches? No problem!

I'm fearful of knives. I'm always imagining someone turning around on accident and jab..death. Very morbid...and very scary sounding.

I'm also afraid of having children. The pains and nausea of childbirth, the sleepless nights, constant crying and screaming..and diapers..ew. Don't get me started on diapers. I've finally reached the point where I can say I do wanna have kids, but I don't wanna have to deal with the whole birthing process...yuck.

Don't have too much of a problem with spiders, although I do have a problem with roaches. The exterminator didn't visit our house one month and I woke up one morning a few years ago with a cockeroach running up my hair. EEEESH! I will never get over that fear.

Now that I look at my list, I think I've about covered the whole spectrum.
    ^_^
  • i have a severe fear of needles. everytime one comes near me i break out in tears, go extreemly cold, shake alot and want to wack the person that is giving me it...cant help myself either just happens.

other than that nothing really scares me that much
  • I'm kinda afraid of heights, used to get all dizzy and start feeling pukey as soon as I went any hiyer than 3 meters. Started rock climbing to overcome it and now it's turned into a pure rush I've got to love. If I stand on top of a really tall building and look down I still have this weird feeling that kinda surrounds me tho.

No real phobia for spiders, I just don't like them. Black and Brown Widows are common in my home town and if I see one...... 'squish'...... no problem.
  • (not like I would go running around like Steve Austin sticking my hand in every hole I found if I ever went to Australia, I'm not an idiot afer all).
    [/b]

manneman, you wouldn't be refering to Steve Erwin by any chance would you??? Steve Austin (Lee Majors) wouldn't have any problems sticking his hand in holes so long as it was his bionic arm... LOL :D :D :D
  • :D He he, yea. You're right, I am refering Steve Irwing (the khaki shorts guy). But I don't see why Steve Austin, wheater it be the bionic dude or the wrestler (been Googling to get my references mapped properly), wouldn't be a good enough substitute for him. :D
  • He he, yea. You're right, I am refering Steve Irwing (the khaki shorts guy). But I don't see why Steve Austin, wheater it be the bionic dude or the wrestler (been Googling to get my references mapped properly), wouldn't be a good enough substitute for him.[/b]

Either one of them would make a mess of spiders :D . Steve Austin (WWE) may be a little short on dialog as far as a documentry is concerned. Frequent use of the word "Crikey" should see him through :D

I'm probably showing my age with the Steve Austin (played by Lee Majors) reference. Used to watch the Six Million Dollar Man when I was about 9 (1974). Even had a bionic Steve Austin doll that you could peel back the rubber skin on his bionic arm.
  • QUOTE(RedKenny @ Jun 6 2006, 02:19 AM) [snapback]65240[/snapback]
    I'm also afraid of having children. The pains and nausea of childbirth, the sleepless nights, constant crying and screaming..and diapers..ew. Don't get me started on diapers. I've finally reached the point where I can say I do wanna have kids, but I don't wanna have to deal with the whole birthing process...yuck. [/b]
    What about us men? We have to stand in the delivery room while you get to just lay there.You go to sleep right after. All that screaming really hurts our ears, you squeeze our hand really hard. You get a year off work, the constant complaining, whining, crying, NO SEX FOR HOW LONG?!?!?!? ;) Just kidding, watching my wife give birth to our son was the most beautiful event I will ever witness.

Manne, thank you for changing your avatar. You guessed it, my fear is of clowns, they look evil. I think it stemmed from the movie Poltergeist, that is my first memory of an evil clown. The one with the wind up nose that dragged the little boy under the bed, I watched the movie when I was pretty young. Not so much now a days but there was a time when I would have to leave the room if there was a clown in it. I used to live with my sister and brother in law. In my nieces room was a clown on a swing they had hanging from the ceiling. If I was watching her for the night while they went out they would have to take the clown down and hide it or else I wouldn't be able to put her to bed.

It is not so bad these days as I can stand the sight of them but just barely.

• QUOTE(Rex77 @ Jun 7 2006, 06:49 AM) [snapback]65360[/snapback]

What about us men? We have to stand in the delivery room while you get to just lay there.You go to sleep right after. All that screaming really hurts our ears, you squeeze our hand really hard. You get a year off work, the constant complaining, whining, crying, NO SEX FOR HOW LONG?!?!?!? ;) Just kidding, watching my wife give birth to our son was the most beautiful event I will ever witness.
    [/b]

Hahaha, that's the part I'm looking foreward too if anything about having kids Rex. Getta grind my nails into my husbands hand. :clap:

Actually here in the states you don't get a year off work for childbirth. You get 8 weeks..I think...which really doesn't leave room for much...just having the baby and trying to find a sitter. Which is why a majority of mommys here in the states (unless they're single parents) quit their jobs because they don't get enough time off I'm sure...and who wants to only get to spend 8 weeks with your baby and then have to hand it over to someone else?!! Certainly I wouldn't. :huh:

• QUOTE(RedKenny @ Jun 6 2006, 07:19 AM) [snapback]65240[/snapback]

I'm also afraid of having children. The pains and nausea of childbirth, the sleepless nights, constant crying and screaming..and diapers..ew. Don't get me started on diapers. I've finally reached the point where I can say I do wanna have kids, but I don't wanna have to deal with the whole birthing process...yuck.

^_^
    [/b]

The thought scares me too!!! Thats why when its mine and tiffs turn im gonna make sure i break every bone in his hand!!!!

We only get 6 months off work here and i couldnt cope being in the house with a screaming kid for that long - the gerbils are bad enough and t hey are quiet,

Think will wait a couple more years
  • LOL oddish. I think you would probably end up driving tiff nuts saying you don't wanna have kids. I think you and I oddish. When the time comes for babies maybe we'll just break the hubby's hands off. :D
  • Epidural ladies....... give it try. You nore your hand brake will feel a thing and whala.... baby :)
  • Epidurals are for weenies!!!!!! :harhar: :laugh:
    Really though, I had John totally natural, no drugs, no screaming or yelling, just lots of breathing and grunting! The most noice I made (I was told by the doctor later, I don't remember much of it) was when the doctor was "helping" John's head out, and I said, in a conversational tone, "That hurts. That really hurts a lot." He said he'd never had such a quiet labor, ever.

Rule #1 in pregnancy: DON'T EVER listen to anyone but your doctor!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Rule #2 in pregnancy: See rule #1.

That's ALL I ever tell expectant Momma's; stupid stories from everyone else do no good, 'cause nobody knows you during that time as well as yourself and your doctor. Period.

(besides, Shagger gets an epidural when he clips his toe nails, so what does he know!?) :laugh:
  • QUOTE(Shagger @ Jun 13 2006, 05:40 AM) [snapback]65692[/snapback]

Epidural ladies....... give it try. You nore your hand brake will feel a thing and whala.... baby :)
    [/b]

LOL see but then that takes away from the pleasure of grilling my husband while giving birth. Call me crazy, but I really look foreward to turning to my husband and going "you did this to me."/"you're never coming near me again"

My story for an epidural though is that my sister was born with use of an epidural. But she took that much LONGER to appear because of her being right side up. If an epidural equals longer labor..forget it.

In any case though, I'm still afraid of childbirth. End of story.

Perhaps someone would like to be a suragate birther for me? ;)
  • QUOTE(RedKenny @ Jun 14 2006, 04:00 AM) [snapback]65754[/snapback]

Perhaps someone would like to be a suragate birther for me? ;)

[/b]

Gosh darn it, I would but... see... I went and got neutered 11 years ago!!! :clap: :laugh:
  • QUOTE(Speediebean @ Jun 14 2006, 03:20 AM) [snapback]65764[/snapback]

Gosh darn it, I would but... see... I went and got neutered 11 years ago!!! :clap: :laugh:
    [/b]

Speediebean, I believe you meant...spayed..right? :blink:
  • Epidurals might be fine if you have time to get one, in my case I went into labour too quickly and therefore had to do without any painkilling drugs and that happened to me 5 times....yep I've got 5 kids so you could say I'm a bit of a masocist....lol...but if you don't have time to get an epidural take my advice and go for the gas and air.....now if you could bottle that stuff it would sell like hot cakes......giving birth wasn't that difficult the hard part was getting me down off the ceiling...baby? what baby!!!!!..lol
  • They gas people when they're going into labor? :blink:

Don't think I've ever heard that one. The only time they done a gas type thing here in the states that I know about is in the context of a cesarean...but that's a whole different story I'm sure.

5 kids?!? WOW!! :huh: Your days must never be boring that's for sure. :clap: