Mini Web Site
  • I have been looking into the possibility of buying some additional software for the community area that will allow executive members to create their own web site.

The idea was to get members to create their own fan sites dedicated to the games they play, or the hobbies they are into.

So for example, if you play Metal Gear Solid all of the time, you create your own mini site about this game series and include all of your knowledge. You will be able to add images and files and create lots of pages in your site. You will also be able to have a mini discussion forum that will be integrated into the main community area.

If you are into breeding dogs, then your mini site would be about everything you know on this subject and might include lots of photos of the dogs, hints and tips on looking after dogs, training them. Have an area where people can add photos of their own dogs and open a discussion forum on breeding and training dogs for lots of other people who use the Internet to come together and swap ideas.

This is NOT for people to create their own homepages about themselves, it needs to be on a subject dedicated to something they are passionate about.

here are a few ideas....

Fixing or Racing Cars
    Sailing
    A Sport
    Bikes
    Books
    collecting something
    cooking

...I am sure there are a million more ideas.

The idea is that we support you to create your own area that you fully control and you help expand the subjects that are covered within Absolute Community. You web site will attract new people to visit the community who are into whatever your web site is about and we will let as many people as possible know it is there.

At the moment we are very heavily focused on gaming, but we all do so much more than that !

Have a think about this and vote in the poll.

If you WOULD like to open you own mini site, please post a message below and tell me a little more about what subject you would make it all about.

Thanks for your time

Jim
  • Hmmmm, I'm a fan of the 'Tales' series of RPGs, and I think I'd like to make a page devoted to that. I was gonna say RPGs as whole, but that just seems like too much work. This would be reasonable and easily updatable.
  • Yeah sure, I would most likely create a Fansite about the "Metal" genre of music. That seems to be my most avid interest so I dare say thats what it would be about. However, I may end up focusing on a single area of metal rather than metal in general since it is a pretty vast subject area.

EDIT:

I also thought I might be able to do a page on the arcade area? I dare say many people here would list that as something I do a lot, lol.
  • Hmm Jim this sounds like an awesome idea!!

The only problem is I don't know which to choose. On the one hand I could create a game site but I also would like a hobby site also. I just can't decide. :crybaby: Would it be possible to do both?
  • Red, I would concentrate on one site only at first and then if you can manage the workload, open another.
  • I would really like to do a mini site on comics.
    The only problem i could see with me doing this is how specific would you want the sites?
    I mean would you want a site specific to just one character?

Say a site of spiderman, from his first apperance in 'Amazing Fantasy 15 (Aug 1962)' all the key storiers and key villains (first green goblin spiderman 14, first full venom (bad guy in upcoming summer film) in amazing spiderman 300), stuff like that.

OR

Would i be able to do just one 'universe/company' say only do marvel character like spiderman, ironman, the fatastic four, xmen, the punisher etc or just DC with the likes of batman, superman, wonder woman, the flash, green lantern etc

OR

Would i be able to do both the big two, Mavel and DC?

OR

The industy as a whole, with smaller company's like image (Spawn), IDW (transformers, metal gear solid) and devil due (Gi Joe), aswell as artist profiles people like Jim Lee, (artist on xmen for first Gambitt, and also did the art for the 'famous' batman hush storyline), Todd Mcfarlane (worked on hulk and spiderman for marvel, then created Spawn for image and was a founding member of Image comics) and Alex Ross, (So much great work for marvel and DC its unreal!) who switch from comapny to company thus not fitting into company sets.

(Yes i could be called a comic nerd! I am well 'into' comics, and have a huge collection including a 'tales of suspense 39, first appearance of iron man from Mar 1963 that cost me
  • its the same answer again... start with a subject you can do really well and then expand.

There is no problem with you running 10 sites if you do them well and keep them all up to date, but start with 1.

If you feel you can cover the whole industry, then do it... but its a massive area to do very well and will take a lot of your time.

As far as the options above, the choice is yours, but please choose wisely.
  • QUOTE(Jim B STAFF @ Jun 10 2006, 11:21 AM) [snapback]65541[/snapback]
    There is no problem with you running 10 sites if you do them well and keep them all up to date, but start with 1.
    [/b]

That's sounds perfectly reasonable to me Jim. In that case, I would like to start a site on Harvest Moon 64. ^_^ I'll start with Harvest Moon as I know a whole lot about that. :clap:

• What the site is about is entirely up to you, Theve1tch- whatever you're willing/able to handle.

I didn't put a vote in but this is something I could see myself doing, just a matter of deciding on a topic :unsure: .

• I was feeling talkative tonight so even though I voted "I won't be using this feature" I'm gonna go ahead and post anyways. Thing is that I don't feel like anything I know that much about would be interesting for me to create a whole website about, or for that case interesting enough for anyone to read about (I specialize in maths and computer aided design and creating simulations of loadcases and that stuff).

I would however like to help out anyone who needs some help with their mini-site, however. Like Thev1tch comic thing. I used to be deeply involved in comics and can probably dig up one or two things to help him out. Or just customize pics for anyone who needs that.

I love the idea to have a sub-level of sites that are much like fanzines to different subjects. Using the collective knowledge of this site to help out in creating theese sites may prove to be very productive. Cus that's what I think will happen, paople will respond to your pages and give critisism or good advise.

That's all I had to say in the matter.
  • You raise an interesting point manne, I will try to make sure the software allows for more than one person to work on a mini-site, as the same situation would no doubt apply to other people too.
  • I think it would be really cool to do something like this and I have a few thing's, gaming and non gaming I have a strong passion for.

My only dilema is that I've never done anything like this before and have no real idea how to run a site or what would be involved in doing so.
  • Don't worry, the only expertise you will need is that of the subject that your web-site is based on. If you can use this place, then you will have no trouble setting up your mini web site.
  • METALLICA METALLICA METALLICA!!!!

Its my OBSESSION and the only thing (apart from work) that i know a lot about (and no one wants to hear about my work!!)

PLeeeeeeeeeeeease can i have a metallica site with lots of Papa Het pics *drools* :notworthy:
  • I'm up for it! PM'd Jim an idea which needs the help of others (3 more actually)

wouldn't mind doing a "Metal" page like Lethal, but going a bit further so...............................

LETHAL! Would you like to join me & Jane in a mini-site for "Metal" plus I need 1 more and only 1 more for an idea I have, PM me if your cat wants to be dead with curiosity!
  • QUOTE(Tiff @ Jun 12 2006, 07:38 PM) [snapback]65657[/snapback]

I'm up for it! PM'd Jim an idea which needs the help of others (3 more actually)

wouldn't mind doing a "Metal" page like Lethal, but going a bit further so...............................

LETHAL! Would you like to join me & Jane in a mini-site for "Metal" plus I need 1 more and only 1 more for an idea I have, PM me if your cat wants to be dead with curiosity!
    [/b]

Tiff, I am definitely down for a mini site on metal, we could cover a few genres each. Personally I would like to work on the NWOBHM side of the side, and also the darker metal genres, Death, Black, Gore etc.

You can tiff can have Thrash, Heavy metal, pretty much everything else. I know there are a few others interested in metal around the place so if we need another partner in crime it shouldnt be hard to find someone. Also, whats with this other idea? I would like my cat dead please, medium rare, send me a PM and tell me what you idea is! :devilish:
  • Yes, I think that would be nice to have. I would do one on hobby, but, could I sneak in a little section on games? :rolleyes:
  • Actually now that I think about it...can I do a hobby one? :D

Just realized I'd rather do a website on something else.
  • As long as it's legal go with whatever you like red. ;) You have time to plan out what you'd like to do one on- best start gathering pics and info now! :D
  • I wouldn't mind have some space to create a website about my hobbies.
  • QUOTE(lyndon @ Jun 15 2006, 03:06 PM) [snapback]65910[/snapback]

As long as it's legal go with whatever you like red. ;) You have time to plan out what you'd like to do one on- best start gathering pics and info now! :D
    [/b]

Would oddish, mr. ed and mine's dancing competition count? ;)

Seriously though. I would kinda like a place to post my fanfictions. What better place to post it than on a forum mini site? It is gaming related though, of course.
  • I dont think the guys would watch the dancing if it was legal red ;)

• Jim, I think this would be a fascinating addition to the site. However, in my case I had to vote I wouldn't use the feature simply because I would have too hard a time narrowing down to a specific topic. The only thing I could think of would be spiders and nobody would be interested in me rambling on about how I just captured a Green Lynx last week to show to my daughters.

Stop the presses!!! I'll make mine about the Miami Dolphins when this feature becomes available.
  • I think this is gonna be a really good feature - Seeing a different side of people and things they are passionate about!!!!

• Like JDM I would love to have my own website but I too would have a very difficult time narrowing down what it would be about. I am passionate about a lot of things. I love the Metal Gear Solid series but I haven't even played Subsistence yet after owning it for for about four months now. I also love the game Black and play it regularly but haven't finished it yet, so how interesting would that site be? Sure I could go on and on about all the levels except the last one, well I could go on and on about how freakin' hard I find it.

I also don't have the time to keep it updated enough, with my schedule I am a little hard pressed to find time to use my PS2 let alone keep up with the operations of keeping a site updated enough to keep people interested in it.

Like I said I would love the idea but the cons outweigh the pros at the moment.