Why Teenages Will Always Win Against Adults
  • trying to use technology against us always backfires

NEW YORK - Students are using a new ring tone to receive messages in class -- and many teachers can't even hear the ring.

Some students are downloading a ring tone off the Internet that is too high-pitched to be heard by most adults. With it, high schoolers can receive text message alerts on their cell phones without the teacher knowing.

As people age, many develop what's known as aging ear -- a loss of the ability to hear higher-frequency sounds.

The ring tone is a spin-off of technology that was originally meant to repel teenagers -- not help them. A Welsh security company developed the tone to help shopkeepers disperse young people loitering in front of their stores while leaving adults unaffected. The company called their product the "Mosquito."

Donna Lewis, a teacher in Manhattan, says her colleague played the ring for a classroom of first-graders -- and all of them could hear it, while the adults couldn't hear anything.
  • Lmao, that is pretty funny! You older people will never learn!
  • What was that you were saying? I couldn't hear one :censored: word?!
  • Charger is really losing it, you cant *hear* words on a page Chris *sigh*. lol.
  • sure you can lethal......*looks away*
  • That's an interesting read, although why not just set your phone to vibrate :huh: -_-
  • I was wondering the same thing Duke. Guess those young hormones don't know how to control themselves over the "fun" of it!! :laugh:

This whole ring thing is new to me (hadn't *heard* it before ;) ) Wonder if there will be some long-term effect on the hearing, like those loud concerts we geezers used to attend has now made us deaf!? :blink:
  • There was a story on the news over here in the UK a few weeks ago about this new anti-teen alarm that is being tested in a few areas of the country.

The alarm uses the exact same principal as the ring tone, but used AGAINST teenagers !

The alarm is fitted in public areas where teens gather in large groups and intimidate local people. It emits a horrible high pitched tone that gives younger people a headache in a few minutes and forces them to move elsewhere. Older people cant hear it at all and can continue to use the area as normal.

so I guess that makes it Adults 1 Teens 1
  • QUOTE(Speediebean @ Jun 17 2006, 10:31 PM) [snapback]65944[/snapback]

I was wondering the same thing Duke. Guess those young hormones don't know how to control themselves over the "fun" of it!! :laugh:

This whole ring thing is new to me (hadn't *heard* it before ;) ) Wonder if there will be some long-term effect on the hearing, like those loud concerts we geezers used to attend has now made us deaf!?
    [/b]

I remember seeing that Jim

WHat i didnt understand is does it just suddenly Stop working on you when you become 20? like s switch goes on in your head and makes you immune??

Also - If your not a teenager anymore does that make you an adult? Coz im 24 - IM NOT READY TO BE AN 'ADULT'!!!!!!! Im a young twenty-something!!! :crybaby:
  • Sorry Jane, but like it or not, you are an adult now... so the phone won't work for you. :harhar: heeheeheee (it's a rule with stuff like that, you have to be a teen and/or still in school, but better if you're both). :blink:
  • I didn't really start acting mature until the age of 32 (or so). I had never intended to be a family person, but you never know what you may be doing a year or two down the road. Crow is a dish best served warm, with some mashed potatos and gravy. As for technology, a blunt hatchet will beat a smart computer any day.
  • to oddish - you twenteen sweety

to jim - that is the same alarm used on their mobiles

• QUOTE(Jim B STAFF @ Jun 17 2006, 11:38 PM) [snapback]65949[/snapback]

There was a story on the news over here in the UK a few weeks ago about this new anti-teen alarm that is being tested in a few areas of the country.

The alarm uses the exact same principal as the ring tone, but used AGAINST teenagers !

The alarm is fitted in public areas where teens gather in large groups and intimidate local people. It emits a horrible high pitched tone that gives younger people a headache in a few minutes and forces them to move elsewhere. Older people cant hear it at all and can continue to use the area as normal.

so I guess that makes it Adults 1 Teens 1
    [/b]

That's just awful! :g: Though I suppose it could come in great handy in getting the "curfew" rule enforced in popular areas. :clap:
  • QUOTE(RedKenny @ Jun 21 2006, 05:16 AM) [snapback]66084[/snapback]

That's just awful! :g: Though I suppose it could come in great handy in getting the "curfew" rule enforced in popular areas.
    [/b]

Gosh, I must be old but I don't find that to be awful at all. I'm a GEEZER; anything to keep those young hooligans in line seems like a good idea to me!! (NOTE: I didn't say "all young people".. just the hooligans. If you're offended by this, then I guess you probably fit the description so get your act together!) :harhar: :laugh:
  • QUOTE(Speediebean @ Jun 21 2006, 04:14 AM) [snapback]66087[/snapback]
    just the hooligans. If you're offended by this, then I guess you probably fit the description so get your act together!) :harhar:
    [/b]

Oh come now speedie! You know good and well what a good girl I am :D . I'm just saying it's a little rough that they are gonna use that mosquito to induce headaches..as headaches are unpleasant things. :harhar:
  • The place they used to trial this anti-social alarm had gangs of kids smashing shop (store) windows and they were generally keeping people away from using the whole area.

Personally I think you have to look after the rights of the victims before you worry about those of the troublemakers.

We had story on the news a couple of weeks ago about a young guy who stole a car and when the police caught him he ran into a housing estate (not sure what the American for this is) climbed onto someones roof and started throwing roof tiles at the people below.

After a few hours the Police HAD to make sure his human rights were not infringed and so sent him a fast food meal and some cigarettes up onto the roof.

Now to me, it would have been quite acceptable for the police to have blasted him off the roof with a water cannon, but you can just imagine that he would have sued them for a fortune.

I was watching this thinking of the poor people who had their car stolen and had their roof ripped to bits.

So in this sense its... Teens 2 Adults 1 ! (trying to get back on topic)

Is the world going mad, or is it just me... do teens have it too easy ?
  • That's not using electronics against the adults, Jim, that's using (and abusing) the erroneous ways of society against itself.
    And, no, it's not you, the world is going mad indeed. Yes, teens *do* have it too easy, IMHO. All this PC touchy-feely "you'll hurt his wittle feee-wings!!" garbage is making the future of this world mighty unstable! (and spineless too!) Too many young these days are taught that all that matters is how the *feeeeeeel*, (insert whine here), and nothing else. Not how their actions impact those around them or anything else, (read: now the unlucky car owners and home-owners will have to shell out their own hard-earned money to replace what that cretin ruined for no intelligent reason whatsoever) And, who, may I ask, ultimately paid for his fast-food meal and cigarettes!?!?!? Hmmmm, let me think... the tax payers!?!? :angry: Grrrrrrrrrrrr, this stuff really sets me off!!!

Why the heck do these kids "need" their cell phones in school anyhow!?!? I didn't have one when I was in school, and I'm still friggin' alive!!!!!! :censored: Learn how to write with pencil and paper and pass notes behind the teachers' backs , for cryin' out loud!!!

Wow, ok I'm done. I'd better be, before I explode! :bag:
  • I think to balance this argument Speedie, its only fair to say that the huge majority of teens are brilliant (apart from the obvious mood swings and other 'teen' things we all went through) and that just like everything else, the fact that we have so much news thrown at us every day on the TV, Radio, Newsprint and via the Internet can make small problems seem like massive ones.

These days you can fart and its on a 24 hour news channel within minutes !

Here is a question for all you teens...

Do you think that being able to use so much technology at school makes you smarter or dumber in the long run ?

Calculators, spellcheckers, doing homework by copying chunks of other peoples work off the internet and all those other things that make life easier ?

Let's hear your views
  • QUOTE(Jim B STAFF @ Jun 23 2006, 07:31 AM) [snapback]66207[/snapback]

Here is a question for all you teens...

Do you think that being able to use so much technology at school makes you smarter or dumber in the long run ?

Calculators, spellcheckers, doing homework by copying chunks of other peoples work off the internet and all those other things that make life easier ?
    [/b]

I was in the last 3rd year class (I think that'd be.....9th grade for yanks) to not be allowed to use calculators in their exams. I had to remember pi to 4 decimal places and use it in sums, without a calculator. Kids have it too easy these days! With the maths tables, and the calculators....

Spellchecking though is fine. It's just a time saver ^^

As for plagerism off the internet, all a teacher would need to do is type in a sentence out of a students work into google, if it's from the net, it'll be first on the results list.

In conclusion, yes, minors' education is too ###### easy! <_< <br />
  • There is much that can be taught, but something that calculators, computers etc. can never help with is common sense.