Goals:

22 mins: GOAL Italy 1-0 USA
    Italy have been on the back foot for the first quarter but take the lead

27 mins: GOAL Italy 1-1 USA
    Own goal by C Zaccardo

HALF TIME: Italy 1-1 USA

FULL TIME:Italy 1-1 USA

LETS HEAR WHAT YOU THOUGHT OF THE GAME
  • 35 mins gone, and it's 1-1 but Italy down to 10 men!! And Totti has just had to be sacrificed to make way for Gattuso. If USA could win this one, then well how interesting will the final group games be!!
  • Looks alot like that arcade game "World Cup Injury Time" in the first half. Mastroenis attack ought to get him 2 red cards, that tackle hurt even me as a spectator. So far USA is showing quick feet and great cross balls. Zaccardo is sure to be replaced in halftime. His own goal has effected his play too much. It is still anyones game but with 10 men on each team USA will have a harder time employing their offisde strategy. It failed against the Czechs and I think that Italy will figure out how to make use of it pretty son. Also Pope better watch that rough play since he already has a yellow card and the ref doesn't seem the forgiving type.
  • First of all, I don't watch soccer at all. I've watched more in this last week than I have in my lifetime.

That being said, I know :pooh: when I see it. That ref was passing out red cards like a proud new daddy passes out cigars. The one on De Rossi was definitely warranted, but the other two, especially the one on Pope was ridiculous. That ref should be run outta town.

The only problem I see is the USA has not scored a goal yet in two matches, although they had much better chances in this match than they did against the Czech Republic. How funny is it that the only goal for the USA so far in this World Cup was scored by the Italian team? :wacko:

I thought the USA team did well, especially down to 9 men the last 40+ mins of the second half. I must admit, I am starting to like this sport. At least I am willing to watch it now, something I never would have done in the past. It's not the NFL, but it's starting to grow on me! :D
  • Take it form someone who knows Football (soccer as you guys call it), that Ref needed his head checking, nevermind his eyes.
    As for USA not being able to score goals, the "goal" that they er didn't score was perfectly good in my book. The offside rule needs dealing with, because that American wasn't offside because he didn't touch the ball. The "Zone of Interraction/Engagement" whatever it's called, is just plain stupid.

Fact is, he didn't interfere with the ball.

IMHO USA won 2-1 against Italy.

• A very surprising game...both positive and negatively! The Usa team was very strong and played really well...never thoguht I'd see Italy backdown like they did there!
    The game was very rough though and there was too much voluntary agression on the pitch...shame on the players who call themselves professionals!!!!

Still, Usa should have won, they were far better in the whole game!
  • QUOTE(chargerfanchs @ Jun 18 2006, 01:26 AM) [snapback]65947[/snapback]

First of all, I don't watch soccer at all. I've watched more in this last week than I have in my lifetime.

That being said, I know :pooh: when I see it. That ref was passing out red cards like a proud new daddy passes out cigahttp://www.absolute-community.com/style_images/1/folder_rte_images/bold.gif
    Boldrs. The one on De Rossi was definitely warranted, but the other two, especially the one on Pope was ridiculous. That ref should be run outta town.

[/b]

I'm guessing you never played football (I'm sorry, can't call it anything elese seeing how the game you yankies call football doesn't include foot-ball interaction that much) either.
    That kind of tackle, that Mastroeni got the red card for, is absolutely the worst kind of assault. It can cause injuries that may never heal and end an entire career. So I think the ref did right. I didn't see the second yellow card Pope got but as I said in half time, he had to watch out. Pope was playing a very rough game, mostly becasue he couldn't keep up with the forwards and such play shouldn't be tolerated.

In all a good game, USA showed spirit. Unfortunatly being 9 men vs 10 caused fatigued palyers in both teams and the lst 10-15 minutes were sort of slow.
  • I can't believe that guy scored on his own team. Wasn't there an instance where someone from brazil did that and they gunned him down in the streets?
  • QUOTE(SpeedDemon @ Jun 18 2006, 11:08 AM) [snapback]65973[/snapback]

I can't believe that guy scored on his own team. Wasn't there an instance where someone from brazil did that and they gunned him down in the streets?
    [/b]

Own goals happen more often than a person thinks, and the fella that was gunned down was a golie for the Columbian national squad.

As for the Mastroeni tackle, I agree with manneman, he nailed the ankle, spikes up. Intentional or not it was a bad timed tackle.

I think the US has let their #5 FIFA ranking go to their heads, they need to play the footie that garnered them the international attention in the first place. A tough Ghana contest up next in a must win situation, and I will be calling in sick so I can watch........ :harhar: